Tuna Took A Bad Fall

I was out of town the past couple of days and this morning I woke to the dogsitter calling to say Tuna had taken a fall down the 3 concrete steps going outside. The dogsitter said she had a gash to her upper leg and was bleeding, but she cleaned it and stopped the bleeding and then bandaged her up. I decided to cut my trip short and get ready to head home (I was 2 hours away), as I am packing the dogsitter calls back to say that she just discovered that Tuna also injured her tail in the fall, it was split open at the top, down to bone. She said she was taking Tu to the animal hospital for medical care (I tried calling my regular vet but there was no answer, it was only 7 am so I know he was not open yet so I called the animal hospital to alert them that the dogsitter was on her way with Tu). They sutured Tuna's tail wound and the wounds on her upper leg and sent her home with notes for me and Clavimox. I am home now, I have not seen the wounds because the are bandaged and the vet's note says to change them in 3 days then repeat until she comes in to have her stitches removed in 10 days. Tuna has had a history of hind end weakness the past year or so (she's 13) but the dogsitter does not feel like that was the reason for the accident. She explained that as Tuna was headed outside, one of my other dogs tried to run past her and knocked her unsteady which spooked her and led to the fall.

Here's the thing, the vet bill was around $250. The dogsitter insisted on paying, would not even let me pay half of the bill. She said this happened on her watch and she was responsible. She also said she would take Tuna back in to have the sutures removed, but I told her I would take care of that. Of course I want to do something to somehow repay the dogsitter, maybe a gift card to somewhere and send it in a thank you note? Any ideas?

That was very generous of your dogsitter to pay the bill. Maybe you could wait to see how Tuna heals up and your adrenalin calms down before you make any decisions. A gift certificate would be nice especially if she does the followup vet visits for you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor Tuna, We will be praying that she heals quickly... :kiss2:grouphug:hope As far as the dog sitter she sounds like a really good one and one that you def. want to keep, I think the idea of a gift certificate sounds Great. Maybe to where she shops or to a nice restaurant. Sorry this happened.....

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest fatesrelease

That dog sitter is a keeper! Of course it wasn't her fault it happened, but for her to offer to do so much was very kind of her. I would write her a nice note and I agree, a gift certificate or something else nice would be a good idea. Just to show you appreciate what she did.

Oh, and of course I hope Tuna feels better soon! Poor thing.

Edited by fatesrelease

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Wow! Nice dog sitter! I'm surprised but how nice of her! A gift care would be nice, perhaps a Visa or American Express one that she can use anywhere.

Edited because I forgot to say: Poor Tuna! I hope she heals very quickly!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

I hope Tuna heals up quickly and without any problems at all. And WOWOWOWOWOW what a dog sitter, WOW! I would get her some gift certificates to a store and a resturant and she would get a really REALLY nice Christmas bonus from me in December!

Thanks for the well wishes for Tu. Here she is bandaged up, yellow just is not her color! (I moved her bed to the kitchen while she was eating dinner, she wanted no part of standing up to eat dinner so I gave it to her laying down).

TUNAmarch09004.jpg

TUNAmarch09006.jpg

I am not sure what store (s) to get the dogsitter gift card (s) for, I do not know where she usually shops! I have to think about that.

Poor baby. Hope she heals quickly.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks for the well wishes for Tu. Here she is bandaged up, yellow just is not her color! (I moved her bed to the kitchen while she was eating dinner, she wanted no part of standing up to eat dinner so I gave it to her laying down).

TUNAmarch09004.jpg

TUNAmarch09006.jpg

I am not sure what store (s) to get the dogsitter gift card (s) for, I do not know where she usually shops! I have to think about that.

What a beautiful little girl....feel better!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

What a sweet, beautiful little girl I love the look on her face. I hope she heals quickly. That is one great pet sitter you have. Definitely a keeper. I think a gift card to a local restaurant would be great.

I'd write her a check for the $250 and insist she take the money.

One assumes she's not dog sitting because she's wealthy and just loves dogs; doesn't sound like it was in ANY way her fault, and you don't want her to start resenting spending the money at some point down the road.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What a sweet, beautiful little girl I love the look on her face. I hope she heals quickly. That is one great pet sitter you have. Definitely a keeper. I think a gift card to a local restaurant would be great.

That's her "quit taking photos an give me my dinner back" face!! :lol

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I knew I recognized it. :rolleyes:

That's her "quit taking photos an give me my dinner back" face!! :lol

Your dogsitter not only did the RIGHT thing but the RESPONSIBLE thing. Definitely worth keeping. And if she has a web site, or a listing on Angie's List (Craigslist for services) I would write a GREAT recommendation for her. Hopefully she has insurance so that she can recover her costs, but still - a really mature, responsible reaction. One I wish more people were willing to emulate.

Hope your pretty girl feels better soon. Looks like she knows just how to milk the situation, too.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Your dogsitter not only did the RIGHT thing but the RESPONSIBLE thing. Definitely worth keeping. And if she has a web site, or a listing on Angie's List (Craigslist for services) I would write a GREAT recommendation for her. Hopefully she has insurance so that she can recover her costs, but still - a really mature, responsible reaction. One I wish more people were willing to emulate.

Hope your pretty girl feels better soon. Looks like she knows just how to milk the situation, too.

greysmom :D

She is a professional sitter, licensed / insured.

I'd write her a check for the $250 and insist she take the money.

One assumes she's not dog sitting because she's wealthy and just loves dogs; doesn't sound like it was in ANY way her fault, and you don't want her to start resenting spending the money at some point down the road.

It certainly was not her fault, but she insisted that since it happened while Tuna was in her care that she would not let me pay the vet bill, not even half.

UPDATE

I went to take Tuna outside and discovered that the paw on the bandaged leg was very swollen. I immediately started taking the bandage off while calling the animal hospital. I was told to indeed take off the bandage to restore circulation and then do water treatment (soak paw in lukewarm water). I have done all that, now keeping an eye on it for the swelling to go down. I will lightly bandage for now, until the swelling goes away completely and then I will put on a proper bandage,

ooh, i hope the lovely Tuna gets better very soon. i think she looks great in yellow :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest KyGrey

Tuna is just adorable! I hope she heals up quickly.

As for the petsitter, sounds like a very good one. It was nice (and responsible) of her to pay the bill but if it was me I would have argued that she didn't have to pay it. I know some of you think it's her responsibility but if my human child was hurt while in your care I wouldn't expect you to pay the doctor or hospital bill. Things happen, that's all. It definately sounds like an accident.

Tuna sure is a cutie. Give her a kiss and hug from me. What a great dogsitter. I agree with the other threads, a gift certificate to a store/restaurant/donation to favorite charity or gift cert. to a movie. Maybe if she likes to watch movies at home a gift cert to a video store or Netflix. What a scare that must have been for you. You and Tuna are in our thoughts!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Hope Tuna heals quickly. And your petsitter is definitely a keeper.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Keep an eye on Tuna's tail as well as her foot: feel her skin to make sure it's not getting cold, which would indicate poor circulation from a bandage that's too tight.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)