Possible Misdiagnosis

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

I spoke to the "main" vet today to get Alan's blood test results. His BUN and creatinine went up a bit since 3.5 months ago, not good I guess, but he's acting and eating pretty much fine. This vet doesn't think he agrees with the vet that saw Alan yesterday. He wants a set of xrays done of his chest and neck to make sure nothing is wrong - like a tumor. He doesn't want to have to sedate him b/c of alan's hypertension, so one step at a time. I had a gut feeling that the hypoplastic trachea wasn't what Alan has:( I will see about when I will go ahead and schedule xrays. Can't sedate him so we will have to give him 10mgs. of valium like the last time. If he doesn't have any major problems, I will wait until the beginning of April. I have to say I'm sad and p****d off.

It is so frustrating isn't it? Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Oh how disappointing and now scary! I sure hope his x-rays come out alright! You can't do them any earlier than April?

My 12 yo boy has what I think is LP. His breathing is loud & wheezy when he gets excited. He did have xrays done last year to rule out any problems & they came out fine. The hypoplastic trachea diagnosis seemed a little odd for a greyhound (it usually seems to occur in flat-faced breeds) & LP is a good deal more common.

I'll bet Alan's xrays are fine & they don't show anything. The only way to positively test for LP is under sedation, so you may not find out for sure, but it's much better than a tumor.

If the vet does suspect LP, ask him about doxepin. It's an antihistamine among other things that some people have had success with in treating LP in dogs. (Thanks to kennelmom for the heads up.) I don't know if Alan could take it with his kidney issues, but your vet should be able to find out. I will be giving it a try this summer for my Faolin.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

God Susan, I know you're banging your head against the wall. Don't panic about the BUN and Creat being up a bit. My only concern here is if it ends up being LP, I know Pred is not an option for Alan but I've also read where in its early stages, Benadryl actually helps.

I'm so anxious for you to get to the bottom of it. Lots of hugs for that handsome boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ss556

Did I mention he lost 3 lbs. as well? He eats the same - enjoys his food. He's happy most of the time. After researching and reading here (the help of GTr's is always the best) my gut told me that it is LP. I can have the xrays sooner, but as long as he is ok, I will not rush them for a few reasons. The whole building shakes when Alan goes to the vet. Rescue Remedy never helped him.

No, pred is not an option. Anethesia (sp?) isn't a great option either with his hypertension. So what do I do? He's been fine since the weekend except for yesterday at the vet - breathing wise so I will just watch him, wait and see. Such a sweet boy.

Guest MyCody

Susan, I googled the diagnosis yesterday and saw that it's something they are usually born with and they are usually diagnosed by the age of 5 or 6 months, so I was skeptical that it was the correct diagnosis. I have agonized since yesterday about writing to you and suggesting you read it, but didn't want to question your vet, now I wish I had.

I think it sounds like LP and we were there when Cody was scoped and it's done under sedation, I don't know if an xray shows LP, but sounds like this vet will find the answer.

I apologize for not contacting you yesterday.

Sending hugs to Alan.

Terry

Did I mention he lost 3 lbs. as well? He eats the same - enjoys his food. He's happy most of the time. After researching and reading here (the help of GTr's is always the best) my gut told me that it is LP. I can have the xrays sooner, but as long as he is ok, I will not rush them for a few reasons. The whole building shakes when Alan goes to the vet. Rescue Remedy never helped him.

No, pred is not an option. Anethesia (sp?) isn't a great option either with his hypertension. So what do I do? He's been fine since the weekend except for yesterday at the vet - breathing wise so I will just watch him, wait and see. Such a sweet boy.

You tell him to knock off the weight loss!!!! We have enough of that going on.

From what I've read and through people here who know, the only way to dx LP is with a scope. If it's sedation vs anesthisia, maybe that will help be better for Alan.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TBSFlame

Tessie had LP. :( Keep Alan calm, no running, use a harness, keep him cool. Most likely that is what he has. It is fairly common for a older grey.

Aw, Alan! No more scaring Mom half to death!

On the serious side, are you working with a board certified internist? After my experience with Suze's acute renal failure, I've become a huge believer in calling in the "big guns" when something doesn't seem right. Of course, we were really lucky that the Dr who treated Suze went to Vet school in KS and saw hundreds of greyhounds!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Tessie had LP. :( Keep Alan calm, no running, use a harness, keep him cool. Most likely that is what he has. It is fairly common for a older grey.

My Keno had LP. :(

Hugs to you and Alan! :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest HoustonGreys

Oh Susan, I'm so sorry you and Alan are going through this! :grouphug My daughter is going through the frustration of having an ill houndie and no one being able to diagnose the problem. Trixie's been to the ortho surgeon, neurologist, oncologist and reg vet and many tests and almost $5,000 later --- NO ANSWERS! Stacey is beside herself and I know you must be too. We'll be saying many prayers for your sweet beautiful Alan and hope you get the correct diagnosis BUT with an easy fix --- we want it ALL!

Hugs to you both,

Jackie

Guest ss556

Thanks to all - Terry its fine you didn't contact me as I googled that as well and learned what you did. Alan had acupuncture on Tues. night and he's been livlier since - with the exception of the vet visit. I will have to watch him, vet said not to get him excited or let him run, which he doesn't anymore anyway. I have to say he's looking good today. The vet said he would have to sedate him, "totally put him out" and rather than scope, he can hold his mouth wide open and watch the breathing/larynx, etc. for 3-5 mins. and that would tell him it is LP. The xrays are to rule out stuff I assume and that will probably be our next move. It will be interesting to see what happens to him the next time that the weather turns warm again. With al lof your input, I believe it is LP. Another progressive disease.

I'm sorry you and Alan are going through this.

Sending prayers and white light to your beautiful boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I know you know, but I will tell you anyway... if there is anything....

Continued prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Aw gee. It's bad enough when these guys have something wrong, but a misdiagnosis just sucks. (Yeah, Pearl had that too. They thought she had myocytis and put her on prednisone.....which spikes the BP. She had an abscessed tooth. Yeah, we really wanted a hypertensive dog on pred!)

Good Luck with him Susan.

Oh, Susan. As if Alan doesn't have enough issues already.... :( I will be thinking of you....Rascal and Ruby have a brother who has LP, had the surgery awhile back and is doing GREAT.

And I certainly sympathize with you about the vet/stress issue. Buddy was a total wreck when he went to the vet. It's so hard.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.