Canyon's Disc Herniation

Guest Annie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poor guy! :( :( :(

sending many prayers!!! :hope:candle:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh, my! I'm just catching up on that heartbreaker also known as Canyon! Sending prayers and unending healing white light! I'm sure he's feeling much better now that he's on some pain meds and I'm sure it's a lot easier on the nerves, too! Heal quickly, young man! :kiss2

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Annie

Canyon_handsome_800.jpg

Canyon is still in a lot of pain when he shifts position while lying down. :( I'm going to put his Gabapentin dosage back up to 3 X daily. Twice a day isn't sufficient anymore.

He is still eating well and is happy to go back into his crate after relieving himself. HE IS SUCH A DEAR SOUL!!! We sit with the crate door open and give him lots of loving... he groans with contentment. :wub:

Breezy is not liking being separated by a crate though! She let us know by having a BIG PEE on the laminate floor right after having been outside! We're making sure she gets lots of loving too! ;)

Annie - so sorry to hear of the struggles with Canyon. The decisions with back / neck injuries are exceptionally difficult to make. I am not an expert, but our foster had a inflamed disc (at least that was the most likely diagnosis without ultrasound or x rays) that was causing pressure on his spinal cord which in turn caused his whole back end to be very painful and totally uncoordinated. He could hardly walk and had actually fallen over when relieving himself outside. We are on closing on week 4 since this all began and the following things have helped our guy get healthy:

- Rimadyl - 75mg 2x daily

- Tramadol - 75mg 2x daily

- Gabapentin, which you are doing

- crate crate crate

- rest rest rest

It has been a challenge carrying him up/down stairs, leash walking him in the house, and lately, trying to keep him quiet. I think the most important thing that has helped (at least our foster) is to keep him quiet and rested. This has not been easy, at all, so I understand your comments above.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I wanted to tell you at least that I've also found the stress associated with just watching our guy in pain to be traumatic. It is heartwrenching and you are not alone. We've managed through it and have tried to remain strong for his sake, supporting him when needed, thinking, trying.

You are doing great and we wish you continued strength and clear headedness. I hope so badly that you find the magic formula that works for Canyon and that he gets better soon. We'll keep watching for updates. Good luck.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Annie
Annie - so sorry to hear of the struggles with Canyon. The decisions with back / neck injuries are exceptionally difficult to make. I am not an expert, but our foster had a inflamed disc (at least that was the most likely diagnosis without ultrasound or x rays) that was causing pressure on his spinal cord which in turn caused his whole back end to be very painful and totally uncoordinated. He could hardly walk and had actually fallen over when relieving himself outside. We are on closing on week 4 since this all began and the following things have helped our guy get healthy:

- Rimadyl - 75mg 2x daily

- Tramadol - 75mg 2x daily

- Gabapentin, which you are doing

- crate crate crate

- rest rest rest

It has been a challenge carrying him up/down stairs, leash walking him in the house, and lately, trying to keep him quiet. I think the most important thing that has helped (at least our foster) is to keep him quiet and rested. This has not been easy, at all, so I understand your comments above.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I wanted to tell you at least that I've also found the stress associated with just watching our guy in pain to be traumatic. It is heartwrenching and you are not alone. We've managed through it and have tried to remain strong for his sake, supporting him when needed, thinking, trying.

You are doing great and we wish you continued strength and clear headedness. I hope so badly that you find the magic formula that works for Canyon and that he gets better soon. We'll keep watching for updates. Good luck.

Oh man, BrucieDad! You are so right about how traumatic this has been for us to watch him in pain!!! It is agonizing!!! :cry1

Thank you for your post! This is such an unknown situation for us, and we are trying SO HARD to do the right thing by our sweet Canyon!!! :(

It's a balancing act with the pain meds... too much and he plays like a puppy and doesn't heal... too little and he is in excruciating pain.

We want to avoid surgery if at all possible and his neurologist still thinks he has a good chance of it. Canyon has been strictly crated since Sunday and we are going to continue with it.

I hear you when you say CRATE, CRATE, CRATE, REST, REST, REST!!!

It's wonderful that your foster has responded so well!!! It sounds as though he was much worse off than Canyon too. I will pray for him as well!

you can try these to herbs, "Angustura Vera" and "Hypericum Perforatum"

You can also try DMSO gel.

DSMO GEL

or the DMSO cream with additives.

DMSO Cream With Additives

I only found this stuff recently (after Bullet passed) from my uncle who owns a horse farm in VA. He uses it on the farm animals. He said you have to be careful with this stuff. You would need to wear surgical gloves and use a tongue depressor to apply it to the dogs skin. You would need to shave the area in question and apply it there. Your dog is most likely not going to like it because he will smell like and his tongue will taste garlic. But from whats hes told me this stuff works wonders and the smell is worth it. Just don't get it on your skin or you will tastes garlic on your tongue.

Good Luck.

You should def try the above..... My uncle swears by the stuff....

Sending lots of prayers and many good wishes for your boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Annie

DSMO GEL

I only found this stuff recently (after Bullet passed) from my uncle who owns a horse farm in VA. He uses it on the farm animals. He said you have to be careful with this stuff. You would need to wear surgical gloves and use a tongue depressor to apply it to the dogs skin. You would need to shave the area in question and apply it there. Your dog is most likely not going to like it because he will smell like and his tongue will taste garlic. But from whats hes told me this stuff works wonders and the smell is worth it. Just don't get it on your skin or you will tastes garlic on your tongue.

Good Luck.

I will look it up, thank you!!! :colgate

Guest Annie

Canyon is still in pain and crying out, although a bit less often since the acupuncture yesterday. The cries are also sounding more like squeaks then screams.

The acupuncture was the most amazing experience!!! He went from shaking and whimpering in fear (as he does in a vet's office), to lying down with his eyes closed in a matter of minutes!!! I could hardly believe my eyes! He was so relaxed, that after the 30 minute procedure, he remained lying down, snoozing. He had his head in my lap and was curled right into my body. :kiss2 (This is a pup who is only just getting used to being touched when resting.) We stayed like that a few minutes, then I got up, put on my coat to leave... and he just lay there in complete contentment! :wub: Eventually, I had to ask him to get up :lol

We are going for acupuncture again next week, and the plan is to have 4 treatments. My DH and I are praying this helps him.

great news about the acupuncture!! praying that this will really help your boy :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Oh, that's wonderful news! :yay I hope this is the worst of it and between the pain meds and the acupuncture, Canyon will be feeling better soon and making Breezie happy by not being in that darned crate all the time! Still praying as fast as we can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

DSMO GEL

Good Luck.

I recognize the hypericum. It is used for pain associated with the nervous system. You can buy it in a tincture or the little pills. It is highly unlikely that it would interact with anything but would probably be rendered ineffective due to the other medications. Sometimes the homeopathic things won't work if combined with other conventional medication. I know Arnica helps Cash for routine pain-all I do is give her a few drops of the tincture. But whenever a bad flare up happens it is not strong enough and I have to go with Ecogesic or Tramadol for a day or so till it subsides. Luckily it doesn't happen much. I think the Boiflow collar really helps keep her OK.

:yinyang Enjoyed reading your acupuncture experience. That's the same thing my houndies do- just lay down and really relax and enjoy it to the point of falling asleep sometimes. :sleepy They like going to Dr. Boswell for their accupuncture! :P Maybe I should be getting some for me too! :hehe

I'm sure it will help him. I really just believe that he's going to start making great progress! :thumbs-up Praying . Praying.

The acupuncture was the most amazing experience!!! He went from shaking and whimpering in fear (as he does in a vet's office), to lying down with his eyes closed in a matter of minutes!!! I could hardly believe my eyes! He was so relaxed, that after the 30 minute procedure, he remained lying down, snoozing. He had his head in my lap and was curled right into my body. (This is a pup who is only just getting used to being touched when resting.) We stayed like that a few minutes, then I got up, put on my coat to leave... and he just lay there in complete contentment! Eventually, I had to ask him to get up

We are going for acupuncture again next week, and the plan is to have 4 treatments. My DH and I are praying this helps him.

The acupuncture buzz :)

I'd plan on 6 instead of 4 then space them out. I hope it continues to help him! Too bad he/she doesn't make house calls!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits