Solo's Limping

He's been limping for almost two weeks now. When he does any sort of running or anything more than just a walk he will hold up his rear right leg. He won't put any weight on it. Plus his lack of interest in food is really concerning me. So he has an appointment for tomorrow at 9:00am.

If you could, a few good thought s would be apperciated. I have to remember that he is 11 and even though he acts like a three year old, doesn't mean he is.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Jodie, we're sending prayers that Solo just over did it while he was acting like a 2 year old.

Sending a greyt big :bighug

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Solo's update - we are back from the vet. He thinks he sprained something. He said his knee is a bit swollen. So for now, he is on 10 days of Tramydol and Rimadel. If he is not better in 10 days, then he wants Solo to come in for x-rays to see if there is any cancer.

Sending :getwell wishes and prayers for your sweet Solo. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

That's a lot of pain meds to give a dog if your vet things he's sprained something; typically you actually want your dog to avoid using a sprain limb/strained ligament, etc., so the pain is actually a good thing.

If you take away the pain, the dog is going to use the leg as if there isn't anything wrong, and that could just make the heeling process take longer.

You should probably keep him on leash outside so he isn't tempted to over do it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He is on leash restriction too. I forgot to add that. His turn out area is not very big, but big enough for him to hurt hismelf. He can do mini zoomies if he wants.

Guest jeannejj

I hope Solo improves quickly. But, I have to ask, why did the vet want to wait 10 days to xray? this is only my opinion-please forgive me if you think I have jumped the gun, but the dog is 11, has been limping for 2 weeks, AND I wouldn't want to worry about the alternative diagnosis.

Please understand, I experienced this same scenario recently. If it is the big C, it's very painful.

I will be quiet now and hope everything is ok.

Edited by jeannejj

I hope Solo improves quickly. But, I have to ask, why did the vet want to wait 10 days to xray? this is only my opinion-please forgive me if you think I have jumped the gun, but the dog is 11, has been limping for 2 weeks, AND I wouldn't want to worry about the alternative diagnosis.

Please understand, I experienced this same scenario recently. If it is the big C, it's very painful.

I will be quiet now and hope everything is ok.

That's a good question. I think we as greyhound owners will quickly jump to that thought. I know I did when Rusty broke his leg in January. He did mention cancer, but he didn't seem to think that's what it was. We were just in not even a month ago and he was fine. He didn't think anything was broken by the way he was manipulating his foot, leg and hip. He said that if it is a strain/sprain it should get better in 10 days and that it would't show up on the x-ray. I don't know, now you have me wondering.

Guest jeannejj

I didn't say all that just to worry you.....It's just that my vet insisted on an xray in the same circumstance. It was a quick, relatively inexpensive way of really appeasing me. My Mack never showed any pain before one day just going lame. He was 9 1/2, and in good general health. I just couldn't stand to wait 10 days, with maybe him being in pain. Also, the only sign he had was limping, and a slightly swollen hock.

I will certainly hope that your pup only has a strain, but the other way, you wouldn't worry for ten days.

Best wishes to you both.

I'm hoping it's just the sprain!!!! :hope :hope :hope

I too would also ask the vet to do an xray sooner rather than later? :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I,too, hope he will be fine in a day or two. I think they put off the x-ray to save you the money, in case it is just the sprain. Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for Solo.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds