Tell Me Not To Panic

Nola is my 5 year old saluki-borzoi who has always been healthy. I was brushing her this morning and discovered a large (plum size) lump on her chest, just off center under her neck. :unsure How have I missed this before? I already have her annual visit scheduled for March 17, should I be worried and move up the appoinment?

Edited by Sorcha

Don't panic! Even if the situation is dire, panicking won't get you anywhere.

I would take her in sooner than later. The neck is a sensitive area and large masses can cause problems, even if they are benign. I found an egg sized lump on Julio's neck and it turned out to be thyroid cancer. The placement you're talking about is too low to be the thyroid, but it's still worth checking out.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I'd move it up if possible if it were Patrick, if for no other reason than to save myself the anxiety in the intermittent meanwhile.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm anxious to hear what the vet says. Not all lumps are a problem. Let's hope this one isn't.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Cody has a ton of lumps (fatty deposits). Three are the size of my thumb and the one just appeared instantly. He seems to get them more as he gets older too.

The worry-wart that I am was off to the vet ASAP. He showed me how they seem to move under the skin (hope that makes sense) and as long as they did that we were in pretty good shape and just keep an eye on them to see if anything changes. I'd have them checked to see what going on and hope their just fatty deposits. :goodluck

Sending prayers that it's nothing serious. Hope you can get the appointment moved up.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Cody has a ton of lumps (fatty deposits). Three are the size of my thumb and the one just appeared instantly. He seems to get them more as he gets older too.

The worry-wart that I am was off to the vet ASAP. He showed me how they seem to move under the skin (hope that makes sense) and as long as they did that we were in pretty good shape and just keep an eye on them to see if anything changes. I'd have them checked to see what going on and hope their just fatty deposits. :goodluck

My greyhound has several fatty deposits and cysts that the vet has all ruled nothing to be concerned about. The lump on Nola is completely different, it's like she has a plum under her skin and seems firmly attached.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

My greyhound has several fatty deposits and cysts that the vet has all ruled nothing to be concerned about. The lump on Nola is completely different, it's like she has a plum under her skin and seems firmly attached.

Oh NO!!

You said it just came fast? Please let me know what you vet thinks, this is my worst fear with Cody right now...getting the same thing.

Prayers for your baby!

No advice - but sending lots of good thoughts. let's hope it's NOTHING.

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

It could be a cyst or lypoma. It could also be a lymph node. Check the other areas where there are lymph nodes and see if you find any other lumps. Check under the lower jaw, the front of the chest, behind the front legs ("arm pits"), behind the "knees" in the rear legs, and up in the groin between the rear legs.

Whether or not there are other lumps, I'd give the vet a call to see about going in early. If the one lump is large and fixed, it's better to have it checked sooner rather than later.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Gaaa. I wish they could see her sooner. We are sending out good thoughts to all of you.

Well unfortunately with my work schedule this week I cannot get her in during the day, I could get out of work early and be there around 4:30 but those appointments are already booked, the first available evening appointment was Thursday.

Gaaa. I wish they could see her sooner. We are sending out good thoughts to all of you.

Well unfortunately with my work schedule this week I cannot get her in during the day, I could get out of work early and be there around 4:30 but those appointments are already booked, the first available evening appointment was Thursday.

Don't worry, that is plenty soon enough.

Hoping it's nothing,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest nerak254

Here's hoping it is nothing. :goodluck Aruba has a HUGE fattty thing on her chest area (the vet looked at it when she had some surgery and it's ok, hasn't changed) and Missy has one right in the middle between her ribs it's about the size of a quarter and she's had that one forever too.

Do you want me to come to the appointment with you?--Beth

eta: I wouldn't mind a chance to see the beautiful Miss Nola anyway.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Do you want me to come to the appointment with you?--Beth

eta: I wouldn't mind a chance to see the beautiful Miss Nola anyway.

Hey Beth, thanks for the offer, you are welcome to come along if you really want to but I have myself convinced this is nothing serious! Not like Ailish serious at least if you know what I mean. We should figure out a time to get together one of these days.

All good thoughts for a nothingy lump :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest weisster

IMG_1866.jpg

I just posted this on my own thread. Darrel had 4 lumps, two quite large(I had them removed yesterday), I held my breath until the vet said FATTY deposits. Don't panic