Update On Spencer

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

When I came home Tues. night, Spencer had re-split his toes & webbing again so I dropped him off Wed. morning to get more stitches. While he was anesthesized, I had them do x-rays along his spine, do a urinalysis (because there was blood in his urine) and trim his nails.

So the update is that Spencer has an UTI (which might explain his incontinence). He has a couple of compressed discs just below his shoulders (which explains his wobbly back legs) and the vet didn't think he needed a MRI and didn't think he had a tumor. No cancer or Valley Fever in the bones either. So now Spencer's foot is all bandaged up which can come off on Sat. Then I need to walk him morning and night starting on Monday to build up the strength of his back legs. It will be good for both of us. Spencer is on antibiotics for the UTI and his stitched up foot. The vet is having me try an estrogen medication to help with the incontinence. He also said there are vet surgeons locally that do surgery for compressed discs but he said that they usually do it with totally paralyzed dogs as the surgery isn't always successful and can leave the dog paralyzed still. Plus since Spencer has more than one compressed disc it ups the odds. So I'm not going to pursue that route as I don't want him to become totally paralyzed! But it's available if he ever does.

So now it's a wait and see I guess. I'm slowly weaning Spencer off the Pred which I hope helps the incontinence too. At least I know now what exactly is wrong with Spencer's spine and he isn't in any pain which is most important. So that's where Spencer and I are. My life is totally consumed by Spencer every minute of the day. I got up 4 times with him Tues. night because he was hot and restless and wanted to go outside to cool off. I had the A/C running to cool down the house and then I turn on a floor fan over him during the tonight. The things we do for our fur babies! Needless to say, I feel like I'm running on empty. It's hard being only one person to help and care for Spencer. I run home every day at lunch to let him outside too. I'm exhausted but feel better knowing what the problem is and working towards making Spencer better!

So glad you know where you stand now. You are doing a fantastic job of taking care of Spencer, although I realize it must be very tiring. Hang in there!

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Is he on any meds now for his back? I would think compressed discs are painful. The pred would have helped with inflammation.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Is he on any meds now for his back? I would think compressed discs are painful. The pred would have helped with inflammation.

No meds for his back besides the Pred. Spencer isn't in any pain. The vet said that eventually things go numb which is what he thinks is going on with Spencer and his wobbly back legs. I recognize pain signs in Spencer and he hasn't exhibited any as of right now. I have Tramadol in case he does.

Poor guy, once the UTI is cleared up, he should feel better. I sure do appreciate what you mean about caring for them when you're alone. It's tough, no doubt about it!

We've had some pretty warm days recently and I've had to run the swamp for Misty because the Cushings causes her to run hot.

Give that boy a hug from us, and remember to take care of yourself

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ss556

Glad you have answers. Hoping Spencer will feel better after the UTI clears up. I understand how your life revolves around him!

I am so happy that there is nothing sinister going on as far as a cancer. Kiss him for me...I am glad you have some answers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm glad to hear you got some answers. It is hard when they don't feel good, and being the only one....I am so thankful to have my husband to help with Buddy.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

It's so much better to know what the problems are, so congratulations for that! Hope you get some rest when the UTI clears up. Will acupuncture continue to help?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Spencers_Greyt
It's so much better to know what the problems are, so congratulations for that! Hope you get some rest when the UTI clears up. Will acupuncture continue to help?

Hi Mary - at least we both have answers for our Spencers! I think acupuncture will probably help but now I'm looking into a chiropractor for Spencer because the acupuncture the last several times didn't give any improvement. Right now I'm trying really hard not to have to drive him anywhere as it stresses him out so badly. I can get the chiro to come to the house but I need to talk to her more about it over the weekend.

There's a reason that Spencer is with you. Not sure if this is it, but isn't he the lucky one! Sounds like you and he will be much more comfortable (and rested!) with the situation once the UTI is cleared up and the Pred is out of his system. Prayers :hope for Spencer and hugs :grouphug for you!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Spencers_Greyt
I wouldn't use estrogen for incontinence until the UTI is for sure gone! Also, chiropractic will help.

Sending prayers.

Usually in a male that has incontinence (not caused by a UTI) they are given progesterin shots.

The vet said that testosterone shots are available for the incontinence but he said they are quite costly and the estrogen does the trick for a lot less money. I asked him about waiting for the UTI clearing up and he said no although I was kind of wondering about that too. Spencer is going to continue to have incontinence until his UTI is cleared up and he's off Pred so I'm thinking the estrogen wouldn't really do anything right now.....

Glad you got some answers so you at least know what you're dealing with. :grouphug for you.

I agree with Diane about the estrogen. I would let the antibiotics work and the pred clear out of his system and then see if he still has incontinence issues. ABs usually work pretty quickly for UTIs although I think it takes longer for pred to clear out of the system and I'm assuming you're gradually weaning him off.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Glad to hear he's not in any pain & that bad things have been ruled out. And I hope the abx & lack of pred clears up his incontinence. (Here is an article on it with some alternatives to DES.)

:grouphug to you & Spencer. I live alone too & I know how tiring & worrisome it can be.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Glad to hear he's not in any pain & that bad things have been ruled out. And I hope the abx & lack of pred clears up his incontinence. (Here is an article on it with some alternatives to DES.)

:grouphug to you & Spencer. I live alone too & I know how tiring & worrisome it can be.

Excellent article! Thank you very much!!

It is good that you finally know what you are dealing with! I know Spencer gets acupuncture, you might ask your acupuncturist to give him a couple of needles in his "pee spot" :lol Sugar had problems with incontinence when she had her back end problems, and the acupuncture vet did her "pee spot" (that was what she called it) and it really helped. Clearing up the UTI will be the biggest help, of course!

So happy you have some answers, now to get the results you need. Continued prayers for Spencer.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MAXNAV

Can't a chiropractor help with the compressed discs? I don't know anything about this in dogs, but I go to the chiro, and my doctor has helped so much with my back. I would think that they could give some relief from the compression? Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...