Need Help

Please excuse me if I ramble or sound like "word salad" :blush Dr. Jennifer Pavé Maria's track vet has been in touch with Dr. Couto regarding Pav. Pav is her special love. First off we are NOT to give steroids to shrink the mass before surgery. He said that this can cause them to not get clean margins. Dr. Couto would like to see Pav and have her have the surgery done there...especially if they have to go through the abdominal wall. They use a special medication there for greyhound bleeding. I am not sure if I can make the trip both ways in one day from Chicago...and I would have to leave her there at least a week or 10 days until I could get another day off to get her. He can see her on Monday...I am thinking I could call in on Monday and leave at 3:00am...but I worry about having to leave her there for so long. Just wondering if this is feasable...would you do it? Life seems so unfair right now. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. Pav's mass...

100_6805.jpg

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe there is someone in the Columbus area that could take her in (after her surgery) and keep her until you can come back?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Whar does Dr. C says the pronosis is?

This is something only you can decide. Something you can live with.

Make a list of the pros and cons. Think with your head, your heart will follow.

Hugs to you. No, this is not fair.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Michelle has a great idea. It would break my heart to leave her, but to have her in Dr C's hands, I'de have to suck it up.

Maybe there's a GT'er close enough to able to take her until you can go and bring her home.

I wish I could help, I really do

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh Patti, I've not been on regularly and I completely missed this :ohno:cry1 I'm so sorry.

If it were me, I'd take her and leave her for as long as I needed to, but I understand it's a difficulr decision and Robin is right - only you can make it. I wonder if there is any way someone grey-savvy (a GTer, maybe?) in the area could offer her a place to stay until you can pick her up again...?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Did Dr. Jennifer or a colleague of hers handle Pave's leg repair and her spay? If there were no particular complications during those surgeries, I'd be inclined to have a trusted vet here do it. Less stressful on both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What are the other options?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest vahoundlover

I wonder if the drug he is talking about is Aminocaproic acid. One of the dogs in our group had an amputation without consulting Dr C, the dog almost died from bleeding, thank doG she called me and I remembered reading in H&M that Dr C used this drug. It saved his life.

Patti, Suzie Q (greytdecals) is Loraine OH, you might PM her. She took Maggie Mae today for another chemo treatment at OS. It wouldn't hurt to talk to her.

Whatever decision you make, please know we are here for you. :grouphug

Thanks everyone. The fear is if they have to go through the abdominal muscle bleeding could be great. Yes...that acid is the medication they are speaking of. No Dr. Jennifer did not do Pav's spay or leg fracture. They have to do an abdominal ultrasound also to check all of her lymph nodes before they can do surgery. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Ask Dr Couto's office if there's someone in the area who could keep your girl until you could get back there. Surely they know local greyhound owners, local adoption groups, etc. And they're certain to understand that you need to minimize expenses while still getting your girl good treatment and recovery time with someone who's sympathetic and greyhound savvy. And Dr Couto might be happier knowing Pavé would stay in the area for a while.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Patty, if you think it would best be done at OSU with Dr. Couto and his team, then that is what you should do. Just a quick look at the member map shows so many people in central Ohio, I just know you will get an offer of help with a place for you and/or Pave to stay. By the way, I believe SuziQ and her hubby Brian are going to Sandy Paws, so they are probably not an option. But I'm sure you will be able to find someone else to help.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Dr. C knows one of the docs at UW Madison. Would you feel better about having the surgery done there?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

Patti, sweetie, knowing how close you and Pave' are, is there anyone on the board here who could possibly meet you part way with her after her surgery, or a possible gentle GUR?

Dr. C knows one of the docs at UW Madison. Would you feel better about having the surgery done there?

I spoke to Dr. Couto about WI this morning. He said there are very good docs there...but OSU uses a very special protocol as far as the potential for bleeding with this type of tumor. :(

Usethisone.jpg

Just sent you a PM. Our home is open to you and Pave. I run down to OSU everyweek with Leeanna and her chemo anyway. We'll help you do this.

:kiss2

Just sent you a PM. Our home is open to you and Pave. I run down to OSU everyweek with Leeanna and her chemo anyway. We'll help you do this.

What a great, kind offer

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

What a beautiful offer from the heart. I am on my way to work this very second...I will PM you this evening. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Guest boondog
Well, I may be prejudiced, but if at all possible I'd want to be at OSU, too. If she bleeds, they can handle it!

And if you have to have someone watch her, Suzy is the person!

Well, I may be prejudiced, but if at all possible I'd want to be at OSU, too. If she bleeds, they can handle it!

And if you have to have someone watch her, Suzy is the person!

My vet called me this am and said that her friend is also willing to care for Pave while she's there. I told her thank you but I thought it was covered. Can't beat a GT'er for the job!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg