Rip Macgregor - Beloved Deerhound

Guest Mao

I'm new here - but I thought I'd share about the passing of MacGregor, our Scottish Deerhound - to explain why I'm here.

MacGregor lived to the magnificent age of 12 - a long, healthy life. MacGregor was definitely 'daddy's boy'. My husband described him as his 'once-in-lifetime' dog and they were so close. Last summer, we got Lily, a 5 year old Deerhound, to join our household, knowing MacGregor's time was running short. Lily helped so much - but still, it's an incredible loss saying good-bye to MacGregor.

My husband and I agreed we'd acquire another dog after MacGregor. Our Whippet is not a like-size to be playmate/companion for Lily. Another Deerhound was the obvious choice - but I also suggested we look at adopting a Greyhound. And so, the fates seemed to be aligned, because the Greyhound rescue I contacted had a Greyhound in need less than a week after I first contacted them.

So now - in record time - we have Will, a 5 year old fawn male Greyhound - and we are working hard to get him adjusted to our household. Honestly, Will has big pawprints to fill - coming so soon after the loss of MacGregor. But even in the short time he's been with us, he's provided all of us - my husband and I, our 3 children and 2 other dogs - with a much-needed diversion. Just today, he taught Lily the joys of 'stuffies'. We never knew she'd like stuffies until Will came - equipped with all his Greyhound assessories. I'm thinking this Greyhound has more to teach us about sighthounds and enjoying our dogs.

And today, we got MacGregor's ashes back from private cremation. The ground was too frozen to dig him a proper grave. So we will bury his ashes on our farm. This will be especially difficult for my husband.

RIP MacGregor - you are sorely missed.

And welcome Will.

MacGregor and his 'dad'

Lily036.jpg

Guest greytkidsmom

What a nice tribute to your boy.

Congratulations on your new addition - you should post some pictures of your boy so we can all ooh and aah.

Guest BlackandBrindle

What a beautiful boy MacGregor was :grouphug

I'm sure your hearts hurt from the loss of such a wonderful friend. I'm also sure Will will help heal those wounds :grouphug

I am so sorry for your loss. :weep Mac is beautiful and sounds like he was just absolutely wonderful! You can really tell from the picture what a close bond he and your husband had.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

:bighug

If you'd like when you have time, start a thread introduce Will and Lily with pictures please. They sound lovely!

ETA: Never mind, I've seen you've already done that! :blush Willy, Lily, Butter, kitties and horses and gorgeous! :)

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

:f_red I'm sorry you lost MacGregor, what a great looking boy and it's heartwarming to see the way he's looking at your DH. Deerhounds are special souls.

I hope that Will will help fill the void.

MacGregor is now with the angels, and please watch over those who love you

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry you lost your precious boy. I hope you enjoy Will.

Godspeed MacGregor.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest jerrybird

We send you gentle hugs on the loss of your MacGregor. What a wonderful, full life he had with you! And welcome to Will, who will also cherish you.

Run free at the Bridge sweetheart...They never really leave us...they live on in our hearts until we meet again. :grouphugf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry for your loss of MacGregor. One of the loveliest dogs I've ever known was a deerhound named Fiona. She wasn't mine & I met her when she was a spunky 10 years old. She was a wonderful friend to my greyhounds, zooming in for face licks whenever she saw them. We'd all walk in the park together & were quite a sight. She left for the bridge a few years ago at the age of 14. I can well understand your family's loss. Godspeed MacGregor! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to your husband.

They looked like a wonderful pair.

Run free big boy Macgregor.

My deepest condolences to you and your DH. :grouphug MacGregor sounds like he was an extraordinary family member and much loved. Hopefully Will can help your hearts to heal. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your darling boy MacGregor - what an adorable face! I know exactly what you mean about the diversion a new houndie brings when you're dealing with intense grief. Nova did that for us, graciously and lovingly after we lost our 2 year old Bloodhound, Sexi, this past summer. I'm happy for your family and for Will that you were willing to bring him into your home at this particular time. May he give you the love you'll give him ten-fold, and lighten your hearts and bring smiles to your faces.

RIP MacGregor.

Deerhounds are wonderful. I've always admired them but have only ever met one. She belonged to a co-worker at a rescue shelter I used to work at and we sometimes used to walk our dogs together at lunchtime. Lottie, the deerhound, really wanted my greyhound, Charlie, to play with her but he seemed to find her annoying. Lottie persisted though, darting at Charlie and nipping his tail etc, until one day Charlie gave in and chased her - after that they were best friends and played together all the time.

Condolences on the loss of MacGregor and welcome to the world of greyhounds.

:f_red:grouphug:f_red:grouphug:f_red:grouphug:f_red

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I am so sorry to hear that Mcgregor had to leave you and your DH. He sounds like a very special boy and the love between them is clearly shown in the picture. The only other deerhounds that I've ever heard of are in fact on this board. Very special dogs they are indeed.

Godspeed Mcgregor

Hugs from one Kentuckian to another