Striker Had A Head Tremor (video)

Bevd

Striker had some head tremors whilst he was with Lisa and he had various tests (inlcuding a bile acid test) which came back clear.

The last tremor he had, was the day after his big dental op and we were hoping that the tremors were maybe as a result of the awful infection due to his terrible teefs.

But, he had another tremor this morning - the first one since he's been with us, so that makes it about 7 weeks since his last one at Lisa's.

It's VERY much the same as what our Maddison used to have and if you want to see (it's not yacky or scary to look at) you can see the clip BY CLICKING HERE

The thing which stops the tremors...is giving him something to eat :rolleyes:

He did have another small tremor after the one I video'd but another peice of ham made it go away.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm not overly worried by it :)

Angel Maddison had the same sort of thing (almost identical) and it was idiopathic epilepsy which required no treatment.

I'll keep a diary in case Striker does need more tests in the future though.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

It does seem odd that you can make him stop by offering food (or presumable some other sort of distraction)....I only really have experience of Grand Mal seizures but I know there was nothing that would snap Scully out of one once it started, in fact I was told that trying to intervene would probably prolong it....but I never tested that.

He doesn't seem unduly distressed by the tremor and his breathing seem to be normal throughout too....like you said, all you can really do is monitor him. Hopefully that will be as bad as it gets :goodluck

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I was going to say that's exactly what Jim's tremor's were like, and then it went on, and on, and on, and got worse! Wow, that's over three minutes of head wobbles! You got some great video though, and I expect the vet will be pleased to see it.

Interesting that he didn't seem in the least bothered by it, and he seemed quite aware and lucid, too. Was that little movement of his leg begging for pets? :lol

He reminds me so much of Renie!! What was his racing name? I bet they're related. What a sweetheart he is! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

His name was That's A Striker :D

That was an excellent video to show your vet. It is amazing how it stopped when he ate the ham. I wish I had some advice to offer but please keep us posted on how he is doing.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Yup, and also like angel Icarus. His "cure" was the same.. offer him something to eat and they'd stop.

Hugs to Striker...

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest EmilyAnne

My late pointer had those. They were Petit-Mal seizures, a result of brain trauma because he was hit by a car when he was a year old. He had them throughout his entire life, they did not cause problems, or get worse, and needed no medication.

Except, was it coincidence that Striker stopped having the tremor when you gave some meat? Or is that the norm? I'm not sure if that means it wasn't a seizure after all? Except Striker's tremor looked almost exzactly like my Pointer's Petit-Mal seizure.

By the way, my pointer liked to bury his head in my chest or armpit when his head would bob like that. It didn't stop the bobbing movement altogether, just minimized it and helped him feel a little more stable. Kind of like the difference between when your Striker lays his head down, and then lifts his head up.

Do you feed 1x a day? Ruby used to have something similar, and when she was an only dog we free fed her. When Damien came along we went to 2x a day and she hasn't had an episode since. I wonder if it's blood sugar or something like that.

Carl does this occasionally, too. I don't think it's a seizure because he is completely aware and responsive to me and his environment in all ways...walking, being petted, vision and hearing are clear, too. I recall that someone suggested giving them something to eat to stop it, the last two times Carl has done it I've given him a treat and it was over.

It seems like I recall that someone here was writing about it and was told that it is some kind of a nerve issue, a misfiring nerve or something like that. I believe it is also called "head bobbing".

This thread has a lot of good information about it.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sorry - it's just been an utterly manic 24 hours in my world

Right. So, Mr Striker gone to the vets for the day to have a bag of fluids (he's a touch dehydrated and has a temperature). I have to call at 3pm and hopefully go and collect him at teatime, all being well.

Last night he wouldn't eat his dinner, wouldn't eat anything really other than a few slices of yacky luncheon meat (the stuff we use to give Mokka her tablets). He had a few tremors too.

This morning he was quite sick (and he'd not digested the meat he ate yesterday) and again, he wasn't interested in eating. He had a couple of tremors before we went to the vets.

As strange at is sounds to most, the tremors themselves don't bother me that much. As I said, Maddison had them and he went through all sorts of tests and saw a neurologist and the upshot of all that was basically what is says in an article about Dobes with the same issue** If it was just his tremors, I'd not have taken him to the vets because there is no need. They're going to happen. But obviously, not eating, being sick and being flat does need to be addressed by a vet.

Lori asked whether he's fed once a day and the answer is that he's actually fed three times a day because he still has lots of weight to put on.

Giving him something to eat (like a bit of ham) stops the tremors - but they stop *before* he actually eats the food, so its the action of him concentrating on the food rather than eating it which makes the tremors stop.

**That link was on another forum but I'll post it here in a short while.

Edited by Bevd

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT CHLOE HAS. I will try to find the thread. EXACTLY.

Found it. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...hl=head+tremors

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He's got to stay in the doggie hospital overnight now :( He's got squits :( and he's still got a high temp :(

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT CHLOE HAS. I will try to find the thread. EXACTLY.

Found it. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...hl=head+tremors

Reading it now....

Guest IrskasMom

Was checking in for an Update on Striker . What did the Vet had to say???? When our Furkids are sick it just breaks

my Heart. Hugs for Striker :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Just saw the Update , you were faster typing then me .

Edited by IrskasMom

I am so sorry to see that Striker is feeling ill. Perhaps the overnight stay and some treatment from the vet will do wonders and he will be much better tomorrow. Keep us posted. You've certainly had a busy two days.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hello :)

Striker is now home from the vets - yayyyyyyyyyyyy. He's stopped with the puking and the squitting and is much brighter than he was yesterday. He refused to eat for the vets this morning but has just had some lunch now that he's home. He's got a course of antibiotics and hopefully all will now be well.

He's lost all the weight he's worked so hard to gain though, so we'll start getting that back on again now. He did have a tremor at the vets this morning and Helen (vet) managed to see it for herself. I expect that he'll have a few more of them whilst he's recovering from this bout of illness. And then we shall see what happens after that :)

Thank you all for your good wishes for the stripey one :)

Glad he is home!

Does the vet think the head tremor was a pre-indication that he was going to be sick?

Kisses to your crew.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15