A New Monty Threadl: Update Post 20

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Poor Monty has been through the wringer. His second surgery on his lymphoma resulted in a severe infection. We are awaiting the culture , and his (ca-ching ) antibiotics now seem to be making him ill. He threw up his breakfast and over $40 of pills this am.

He is going to our regular vet today anyway for a CBC and stitches out. We were going to get more Baytril and Clavamox as our vet is getting them for us at cost(!) but I assume they will change antibiotics anyway.

He is limping and panting in pain so I fear the fluid is back under his incision .

I will know more after our 1:30 appointment.

edited because I cannot type on my phone.

Edited by greytmonty

Oh Monty, hang in there sweet boy.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

This poor boy. Continued prayers for you guys.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Here we go again! Stop this now Monty. Give Karen and yourself a break.

We want you well and happy starting now!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Poor Monty. There's now an injectable antibiotic called Convenia -- I don't know if it's indicated for Monty's infection, but you might ask about it. But my cat was getting sick from oral antibiotics (Clavamox) and we're now using it on her, it doesn't have GI effects. And each shot supposedly lasts two weeks.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Hollys2hounds

Karen,

As MP the4pack said, some stores are offering free antibiotics.... Wegmans is too!

Call me if I can help.

Please let us know how he makes out today!

Holly

Guest greytmonty

Update: first of all I still love my vet.

Secondly she said it looks like there is no more fluid pocket under the incision and he had no fever. She thinks the vomiting was from the Clavamox which is very hard on the system. She is going to have us restart the antibiotics one at a time to see which might be the culprit, and hope that when the cultures come back he can be changed to something CHEAP and easy to tolerate, like Cipro.

She drew his blood and the CBC will be back tomorrow.

He was a good boy and didn't even whine.

His stitches are out, hooray!

He gets chicken and pasta tonight. she said that, absent diarrhea, rice is a bit harder to digest and that chicken and pasta are good for nauseated dogs.

The meds were very expensive but 1/4 the cost of the ER vet's pharmacy.

The charge for my vet's time: $0.

Guest greytmonty
What a good vet visit - stitches out - yay!

Did the vet have any idea why Monty might be painful when moving?

Residual pain, the infection is still there, just no big fluid pocket anymore.

Infection will take a while to clear up.

I'm glad Monty had a good report & that you like your vet - makes everything so much easier.

Have you tried making a rice congee? It's supposed to be very soothing for the gut. It's basically rice cooked in 4 times the amount of water. You feed the liquid that remains. I think you could add a little cabbage too. Cabbage water also is supposed to be soothing.

Continued good wishes for all of you.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis