Need Advice Asap

Guest koolaidnconner

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest koolaidnconner

My poor boy does not want to go outside now. Not that he was a fan of it before but I think this has completly put him in a position of "I AM NOT GOING! AND YOU AIN"T FORCING ME!"

I took the kids to school and when I came back he had peed a HUGE pool in my living room. Conner and Oranda went out there was no way he was going. He ran to the back of his crate and would not come out. But on the other side it's even colder out today with a windchill of -49 today I don't blame him!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and thoughts!

Poor Kool Aid! :kiss2

Glad to hear he is ok, though.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest EmilyAnne
Hoping for an update.

I've forgotten my hounds outside before, and I worry a lot that I'll somehow forget someone in the extreme cold we're having now. It can happen so easily, and most of our guys won't bark to let us know they want to come in. This will remind me every time to do an extra nose count.

Koolaid, please be ok!

We've done the same thing, especially with the one that just putters around (even in the cold). We do nose counts daily but one can slip by for a few minutes. This was a good reminder for us to pass on to all family members.

Fingers crossed here for a good update!

Me too, I once accidentally left our 3 lb very skinny 15 yr old chihuahua (passed on at age 17) outside in the November cold. She ended up squeezing out under the fence and walked around the front yard until a little girl knocked on my door and asked me if it was my dog. I felt so unbelievably horrible.

Glad to hear Kool-Aid is OK!!!!! :colgate

I'm glad he's okay. I wonder if he would be happier going outside on a leash the first couple times--so he knows he's coming back in?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest koolaidnconner

I think I am going to do that. We did do that a few times in the last couple of weeks because we were having problems with him not going out. So I think we will have to keep that up.

But booties are something I should get too.

Thank goodness he is ok!!! I was really worried for him. I am so relieved :yay :yay

The booties REALLY help. Merlin wears the K9 apparel ones and they are wonderful! Each boot two straps, and as long as you do them up tight enough, they stay on really well. I love them also because they are longer than other booties, and fleecy, so they keep their paws and part of the leg nice and toasty. I highly recommend them!

-49? Ouch. And here's me whining that it was -6 here this morning...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest ChasesMum

Are you also up here in the freakin freezing North??! :D

If it hits below -25C, Chase gets her coat on even just for a pee, and forget about doing "both businesses" at once! SHe often needs to come in, warm up, then go back out again 10 minutes later. If its below -30C she needs boots on too. And I stand at the door and watch her go out and let her in RFN when she is done. SHe also will refuse to go out if she deems its too cold, but they do have to go eventually.

Even with only 1 dog, they can be left out too long! When I was 9mos preggo with our oldest DD, Chase went out in

-35C with nothing on and she didnt come immediatley back so I sent DH out in his slippers and no coat running to go get her. She was collapsing in the snow and had been out for all of 2-3 minutes. She screamed the GSOD when he tried to put her back down in the house, so she spent an hour on the couch, in blankets, and eventually the heating pad between her feeties to warm her up. It was MINUTES! but she is a delicate little thing LOL. Texas born, Alabama racer, not made for a Canadian winter!

Thank goodness Koolaid is ok!

I think I am going to do that. We did do that a few times in the last couple of weeks because we were having problems with him not going out. So I think we will have to keep that up.

I have booties for him Amanda. Laura made them and dropped them off at my place.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so glad he's ok!

I've done the same thing before, in fact, the other night Beans (who loves the snow) gave me a scare when he didn't come running up the stairs like usual. Turns out he was just sniffing around the grill (probably looking for lost bits of food :lol) - and man was he unhappy that I made him stop! But he sure did freak me out.

I hate to bring this up, but you may need to massage his ears.

I had a black cat who was left out for two hours in sub-zero Wyoming night-time cold. He seemed to be okay when we found him, huddled in a window well. But in about two weeks the hair on the top third of his ears turned white. We took him to the vet. Seems the ear tops were frostbitten, and he would have lost them, except that our kitten kept licking them, which improved circulation. We had kept shooing the kitten away from that, thinking he was bothering the big cat, but the kitten actually knew what needed to be done!

Glad Koolaid came to no major harm! :clap

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Glad he's all warmed up and doing well. I know with my girls, it's more that they don't like their feet to be cold (but they won't wear boots), so if he would wear boots, he might be more comfortable. My Tess never used to like wearing a coat, but now a coat means not only going out, but sometimes going in the car, so she actually likes it. Does Koolaid like going for rides? You might "suit him up" and take him for a ride a couple times, so it would be more pleasurable.

I just remembered something funny. When we moved up here from Florida, my FL dogs had never seen snow OR steps. So in the winter, they really didn't want to go down our 23 outside steps to pee in the snow covered yard. So one frigid day, they both looked at me like I'd lost my mind, then raised their legs in unison and peed off the second floor porch! Luckily, no one was in the yard below them at the time. :lol

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest koolaidnconner

I have booties for him Amanda. Laura made them and dropped them off at my place.

Thank you Susan, I will get those from you. Laura?? Is that Coney's mom?

Thank you Susan, I will get those from you. Laura?? Is that Coney's mom?

Yes. Who is now lounging in the sun as we speak!! :angryfire:lol

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

My poor boy does not want to go outside now. Not that he was a fan of it before but I think this has completly put him in a position of "I AM NOT GOING! AND YOU AIN"T FORCING ME!"

I took the kids to school and when I came back he had peed a HUGE pool in my living room. Conner and Oranda went out there was no way he was going. He ran to the back of his crate and would not come out. But on the other side it's even colder out today with a windchill of -49 today I don't blame him!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and thoughts!

So glad Kool Aid is better today. :)

Be sure to watch the places/parts on him that got extra cold. They may bother him when he's out and he will have problems fairly quickly. I have a couple of fingers that do that.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

So glad to hear that Kool Aid is okay....I can't begin to imagine what -49 feels like....it was -5 here last week and I thought that was bad, the coldest I have experienced is about -12 :blink:

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Oh yeah! I was so worried when we didn't hear again last night! Keep him warm!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Wpgkeith

:yay that Kool Aid is doing well.

Just getting caught up with threads this afternoon, so I just heard about this....

Side-bar... How's Jamie?

:unsure

K

Awww...sweet baby boy. So glad he is doing better. Flashman hates the cold and the snow too...and it is SO cold. Hug that sweet little man for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greytgrandma

what a relief to see Kool Aid is ok. My internet was out when we got up this morning and just came back on at almost 6:00.All day Iv been thinking about Kool Aid and hoping he was ok. Warm hugs to you and Kool Aid,give him some kisses for me :wub: :wub: