Quick Help

Guest Baileygrey

Guest Baileygrey

Bailey fell in the kitchen somehow I think her legs may have given out on her. Well my dh scooped her back up to her legs she was crying very loudly.

She can walk now but seems to be in some pain. She has a big bulge on her back now. Is there anything I can give her?

If you have Ascriptin I always use that. No Tylenol, I've always heard dogs should not take it. If this just happened, ice the spot

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

NO TYLENOL!!!!!!!!! NO ACETOMIPHEN (same thing as tylenol) it is poisonious to dogs.

You could give a baby aspirin but if it were me with a big bulge I would want to have the vet check it in the morning.

Where is the big bulge on her spine?

Is there anyone in your group that you can call to get something ie deramaxx OR rimydal and tramadol before you bring her to the vet in the morning???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Baileygrey

Thanks for your quick replies. The bulge is right next to her spine. We don't have any baby asprin or I would try some of that. I will say that she was just laying on her bed licking her but so I'm guessing she is not in that much pain. If she still has that bump I'll take her to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks you guys!

I don't think you should give Bailey Deramax, Rimadyl or Tramadol unless you vet prescribes it to Bailey.

Just not a good idea.....sometimes they like to check bloodwork before putting them on anything like that.

Is she able to walk?

You don't need to give a greyhound baby asprin. Regular asprin is fine, buffered Ascriptin is better. I would NEVER give a dog prescription medication that was not prescribed to him by a vet. Unless I had been given that same drug for the same condition before and was simply out of it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Don't give anything until you see a vet. If she doesn't seem to be in much pain, just keep her quiet for the night and get her into the vet in the morning.

My old vet would not suggest asprin as he had too many greyhounds not do well with it.

You don't need to give a greyhound baby asprin. Regular asprin is fine, buffered Ascriptin is better. I would NEVER give a dog prescription medication that was not prescribed to him by a vet. Unless I had been given that same drug for the same condition before and was simply out of it.

FYI - baby aspirin is the correct doseage for a dog the size of a greyhound. That's why I said baby aspirin....I think it is 83 or 87 mg.

Without knowing what the "big bulge" is, I would not give anything and would bring her in to be seen.

DITTO

She could need surgery, and giving aspirin may delay that because it thins the blood/increases bleeding.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Without knowing what the "big bulge" is, I would not give anything and would bring her in to be seen.

DITTO

She could need surgery, and giving aspirin may delay that because it thins the blood/increases bleeding.

I wasn't even thinking they would be doing surgery on Bailey.

Oh well, Bailey get better sweeti. I know you will :kiss2

Guest Baileygrey

Thanks guys. We didn't give her anything. She seems to be doing fine but does still have a bulge so I guess we will take her in tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Guest EmilyAnne

The only idea I have is call your vet after hours if they allow that (I'm very fortunate my vet is so good about that) see what they say, and if you or anyone in your family are on any NSAID's, your vet will be able to advide if it's OK to give an NSAID or not, and advise you on the dose. My Riley is on Metacam and for awhile was getting my husband's Meloxicam which is the same thing. He got 1/4 pill once a day. He never got a blood test prior to start the NSAID, but he also has a spotless medical history.