I Don't Know What To Do About Beau.

RobinM

Beau- almost a month of progressively worse stomach.

Stool- fine

Labs- fine

Rectal- fine

Meanwhile, nothing has helped and we've moved up from 2 x-tra strength pedcid and flagyl a day to previcet now.

In the meantime, it's gotten to the point where Beau won't eat a thing. NOTHING. I've got not one, but 2 freaking white dogs with red brindle that won't eat.

I am so upset, pissed, aggitated and no, I am really calm and "whatever" around them I just tried putting food down for Polli and she immediately got up and ran across the room. Nice.

Beau won't even take a cookie of any kind, beef, chicken, NOTHING and although he has the meds in him, I STILL hear his tummy gurgling.

He looks emaciated. He is not drinking either although he did take a few sips of water. This is Beau we are talking about. My head is spinning. I had to edit this post so many times because of the F word I kept using.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATED beyond belief.

I know there is nothing anyone can say or do. I needed to vent.

DH is walking them all now. Last walk, Beau's poop was grassy, dark red (NOT BLOOD). We switched the food yesterday so we expected a different color.

I just don't know what to do. This is totally breaking my heart. I'm ready to cry.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad

i have 2 venison roasts that were donated by a kind greytalker when ember wasnt eating after chemo. id be more than happy to pay it forward if you think it be worth a shot. in the meantime, :bighug

he won't eat ANYTHING, but thank you Tom. Very sweet and very appreciated.

His tummy is off and he can't stomach the thought of the food.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

OK, but you said he hasn't lost weight, right? At least, as of his vet visit. Is he still drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated? If so, I honestly wouldn't worry about him for a day or two. Pick one thing -- either the beef/rice or the ID -- and feed that exclusively, on something like a normal schedule (don't offer all day long - pick your routine 2-3 times to feed). Give the meds. And try not to worry for a few days. Gotta give things some chance to work, right?

FWIW, Zema's tummy is often noisy. It just is. As long as she isn't throwing up, having the runs, or refusing meals (sorry about that), I don't worry about her.

I know how worried you are and how stressful it is to have a baby who isn't right. Sending hugs and hopes that the meds do their work for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Robin, what did Dr. L say last? What else can they do to try to find out what is wrong? I guess you tried the tripe, you seem to have that in your house. How is he acting? He is on a walk now - how does he do? Alan gurgles most of the time - more times than not and he's on pepcid. Have you tried zantac? my friend's dog (non grey) did well on that. what about turket breast from the deli? hamburger? I don't get it - I hope things improve, I'm sorry you are going thru this.

Now, I just read about the chicken strips on the other thread and I am sick.

We have about 30 - 2 lb canisters of that because that has always been our treat of choice. We buy it from Care a lot pets. Low calorie, high protein and low fat. A perfect treat.

The thought that maybe I am posioning him is making ME sick.

He is not drinking enough water. he took a couple of sips today.

ETA- as far as his weight, he hasn't lost MUCH but he has been very, very thin to begin with. Just one of those dogs. He lost 1.5 since this started. Now his spine is sticking up along with his hip bones. It didn't take much to have him go from very thin to emaciated.

Edited by RobinM

When my bad tummy Rex had gurgly tummy if I could just get something,anything in him...just a bite it would often "prime his pump" and he'd go on and eat. I sat up at 2 in the morning trying hot dogs, cheese, braunswager, dried liver, cheese in a can (tastier than regular cheese for some reason), tuna, sardines (almost always a sure winner, especially those in tomato sauce), peanut butter, french bread, wheat thins, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, col whip, mac and cheese..you name it. What would tempt him one night wouldn't work the next. In the daytime it would be McDonalds hamburgers and fries or a piece of hot chicken from the deli pulled off the bone. Some of those things are not exactly the best of dog nutrition, but he just needed a bit to get started, then he'd go on to canned, then sometimes kibble.

Good luck. :bighug

Will he not drink even if you put broth in the water?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam- he won't take fresh chicky or fresh sirloin. Nothing.

As far as all the goodies you mentioned, I need to keep it bland although... if he will eat it, I would give him but I can tell he feels sick.

He is such a lively, in your face, PITA pup. To see him so down, kills me.

Why is his tummy gurgling AFTER all these meds that are suppossed to get rid of gurgling?

We uped the ante when we changed from the pedcid to the previcid.

Things are getting worse, not better.

You have a full plate and if you need to scream, yell, cuss we all understand. Robin, I looked back at the other thread but can not find if you posted his labwork.

May I suggest the next step to possibly xray or do an ultrasound. Please take care.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Zantac and flagyl is O.K. (can't tell if he is just on previcid only).

Don't put Tagamet and flagyl together though (not that anyone suggested it... just putting it out there)

With Chase, the meds won't stop the noisy stomach or intestines if there is no food in there. He'll still be noisy if he isn't eating.

I don't know what to tell you Robin. I have been in the same position. I guess I would say to try to look forward and not dwell on this today. You both will get through this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

And re: Polli

Isn't she a picky-poo anyway? This is on top of Beau not eating, but she's just being Polli, right?

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

His labs came back today and they were totally fine. I did not ask for the numbers as I do trust my vet and she is exceptionally greyhound savvy.

I think an ultrasound for sure is in order.

Has he been checked for UTI and worms/giardia?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Zantac and flagyl is O.K. (can't tell if he is just on previcid only).

Don't put Tagamet and flagyl together though (not that anyone suggested it... just putting it out there)

With Chase, the meds won't stop the noisy stomach or intestines if there is no food in there. He'll still be noisy if he isn't eating.

I don't know what to tell you Robin. I have been in the same position. I guess I would say to try to look forward and not dwell on this today. You both will get through this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

And re: Polli

Isn't she a picky-poo anyway? This is on top of Beau not eating, but she's just being Polli, right?

Thanks. Beau is Beau and Beau is my heart dog. We are totally connected at the heart. He is like a little boy to me. I am sick over the fact he is sick and no one knows what's wrong although the dr said it sounds like acid refux. Would that cause THIS much distress? I worry that it will turn into GOD knows what and something terrible will happen to him. that is my chatterbox going off and I need to get that back under control.

Polli is 6 days post chemo and yes, she is just being Poll- but it's not a good time to be doing that!

She did eat about 2/3 cup of kibble with some tripe which is the first time she's had kibble since last sunday. I will give her a bit more about 10ish so she is doing OK considering.

Here's a funny story.. I am out of tripe. I am generous with it when I hear of other dogs not eating such as this guy a few blocks over. Over the summer, his dog wouldn't eat. I dropped off 2 cans of tripe.

When I saw there was no tripe left (expecting 2 cases via UPS in the next day or so ) I emailed him asking if he used the tripe. he didn't even know what I was talking about. After much explaining, the next thing I knew he was at the door with a can in his hand! I was so happy. When Polli walked away from it... I wanted to say to her... do you know what I had to go through to get that for you?!

His stool was checked 2x in the last 3 months. The last time was 2 weeks ago.

UTI- no.

I was going to suggest the same thing. As you know Robin Merlin has been having similar problems... and he seems to be on the mend, but the other day when I saw my vet, after two weeks of nonstop diarrhea, she said that if the additional meds she was giving me didn't work, the next step she wanted to take was to test for giardia.

I am so sorry you're feeling so upset and frustrated... I've been there, so I know... :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

By the way, I do think that the probiotic I gave Merlin really helped.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

he just threw up. A mound of grass that looks like the Big D.

Sending prayers for your sweet babes and you also. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

So should I be giving him another flagyl tonight?

He is totally empty. has not eaten a thing OR drank since last night.

Had 1 flagyl this morning. Had one previced at about 2:30 PM.

He is due for another flagyl.

His tummy is STILL upset and gurgly even after throwing up all the grass.

I am at a total loss. I don;t know if I should go to work tomorrow.

I know how frustrating this is for you. So much worry for you to deal with recently.

I wondered about two things: Is there a way you can keep Beau from eating the grass? We had a cycle with one of our greys two years ago where she would go out and eat grass, come in and throw it up and then look ill for the rest of the day (including loss of appetite). Then she'd go out and eat more grass, get sick again and on and on. It took a while to break the cycle so her stomach could calm down. I had to follow her around outside to be sure she didn't start eating it. I just wonder if Beau is getting acid reflux from eating the grass and producing the stomach upsets which had set all his stomach ailments in motion.

One other thought - Hobbes was one of the few greys who could not take Flagyl. He would just look ill, not want to eat his food and even caused his diarrhea to get worse. We had to discontinue it each of the two times it was given to him. Maybe Beau is reacting to the medication and his already upset stomach is just getting more uncomfortable.

Perhaps there is a stronger medication your vet can prescribe for his stomach acid?

Hugs to you - I can see from your posts that you are just overwhelmed by all this. I hope you can find some resolution for Beau's discomfort.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest AbbyGirl

Hi There,

I have been reading your on going gurglie stomach problem with your Beau baby. My Abby seems to have the same symptoms as you describe which we have be dealing with for years. When she spells-as we now call it- we are able to hear her gut from another room! It sounds horrible and our hearts goes out to her each time she has it. I too had all the normal tests done and everything came back normal. I have figured out that her trigger is a change in her environment that has caused her stress. She does not show stress like most other greys, she internalizes it and it's her stomach is what gives her away, usually the next day. She goes off food,water and she gets obsessed with grass. I have tried Flagyl in the pass which just made it worse for her as it is very hard on the stomach and that's what her problem is so I stopped it. Pepcid didn't work for us either. I could have gave her a sugar pill and it would have worked better...

What has worked for us is Pepto Bismal Tablets every 2 hours at the beginning to stop the gurgling sound,once that has happened, she doesn't get anything to eat until she starts drinking,which is usually mid afternoon to supper time.She gets a light supper and nothing else food wise till the next day. I will give her more Pepto before bed and another one before breakfast then she goes on normal routine until it happens again. On the rare occasions that this didn't work I have gotten Sulcrate Suspension from the vets and it's worked very well for her. It was explained to me by my vet that this actually coats the digestive tract and acts like a buffer which give the system time to calm down...

This is just my experiences with my girl but I am hoping it might help you out as well and I would get the ultra sound done just to make sure there's nothing else.

Colette

edit to add that Abby is also very close to me and she has spelled by just knowing I was upset. It's weird I know but it has happened.

Edited by AbbyGirl

he just threw up. A mound of grass that looks like the Big D.

Has he ever been a poop eater? If his stomach is upset adding that to the mix sure wouldn't help. Mine always want to eat grass when their stomachs are upset. I think the goal for them is to throw up and feel better. Can you send him out muzzled and put some tape or something at the bottom of the muzzle if you don't have a "poop cup"?

Didn't you say he ate some of the ID when you mixed it with beef? Maybe doing that would get him back on the road to eating again. The vet told me they like to use ID because it is made to digest quickly. Whenever I've used it, my dogs would eat it for a few days then quickly get tired of it.

At this point, just getting something in his stomach will make him feel better.

I know it's not your choice, but I'd be tempted to mix a little raw hamburger and warm water with the ID to see if he will eat it. I don't think I've ever had a dog refuse raw hamburger.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg