Stevie

Guest tigger

It is with much sadness that I share that Stevie lost his valiant battle with IBD/PLE. He did very well for the 30 days under the care and guidance of Dr. Ron Hodges. During those days I saw a Stevie that I hadn't seen in a long time. He was very happy...feeling really good...having fun....and being his goofy self which he was always so famous for.

We went on Friday for his check up. He was fine that morning...playing with stuffie toys...being silly. That afternoon as I went to put him in the van...he was limping on his right front leg. That was his old racing injury leg...Marilyn and Bob, his first home, had taken him in and repaired that leg(ortho surgery with hardware later removed) and saved the leg and helped him heal him for 9 mos so he could run and play again like all the other 4 legged doggies :)

When we got to the vet's office...the limp seemed a little worse. In the exam I pointed that out and with a concerned look Dr. Ron assured me it was fine. By 9pm that night he was non weight bearing, swollen and in pain. We went back to the referral vet for xrays...showed no osteo...were given pain meds and baytril for possible infection.

By early morning the leg was very swollen and his temp was 106.7. He was immediately admitted to the referral vet...put on IV baytril, doxy and amoxi....given a hetastarch infusion for fear his Alb would drop due to the blowout he was now experiencing and a given a specific medication in case there was a clotting issue in that leg. All the bases were covered and then we could only hope that Stevie's still had some immune system to help himself too.

The fever broke by that evening to 104. By Sunday morning the leg was more swollen...temp was 103.5....and his blood glucose had dropped drastically from the day before. He also showed signs of sloughing on his back legs...and it was clear the infection was taking over his body and he had no immune system (due to the IBD meds he had take) to fight the infection. The only thing I could do at that point to help him feel better was to let him go.

I went up to see him...he raised his head when he saw me and smiled. I set his stuffie bunny down and he pushed his head up into it in a comforting way. I scratched his neck and rubbed his nose...he always liked those things to soothe him. Told him how much he was loved and what a great dog he is. I put my hand over his eyes and his eyes rolled back and for a few minutes he nodded off to sleep. With my hand over his closed eyes...I also closed mine and thought through all his happy memories and all the special people in his life. Just wanted him to be filled with good energy and thoughts before he left this world.

It was pretty much right at 24 hours since his admittance...that we let him go peacefully.

Pictures of my Stevie below....the happiest, silliest boy I will ever know...with his little half tail that never stopped wagging 'cause he was so happy :)

His paver will soon be placed in GAF's memorial garden...thanks Aunt Jordan!!.....his inscription will read

Stevie

Inspiration

of Happiness

Simply said...In Spirit of Happiness...and that was truly Stevie.

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement....we truly appreciate each of you.

My gang here at the house just ROO'd for the first time yesterday since Stevie left the house on Saturday morning. It was the loudest and longest ROO I have ever heard them sing....it was for Stevie :)

gettem_cowboy.jpg

Stevie_Feeling_Great_Day_4.jpg

Edited by tigger

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, beloved Stevie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

tbhounds told me yesterday that you lost Stevie - I was so very saddened to hear it. He had such a wonderful home & I thought you were well over the crisis of IBD & that he would continue to gain strength. Stevie was a beautiful boy. Godspeed Stevie! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest tobinhr

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. There is quite a party at the Bridge and Stevie can bring all his stories to the campfire... :candle

Jan

Joey, who knows all about it

How heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Stevie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)