Mango Has Joined The Club...

After all these years of reading everyone else's stories of doing battle with this dreaded disease, I am now facing it first hand.

First and foremost I wanted to say thank you, all you GT'ers out there, because your stories, and the responses to those stories, allowed me to make an informed decision in a heartbeat. I was never so grateful to have been directed GT back when I first adopted Mango than I was this past Tuesday.

After treating what my vet and I believed to be a sprained left wrist for the past 3 weeks with a round of Rimadyl, I was back at the vet Tuesday because as soon as the Rimadyl was done, Mango went back to limping. Could it be her shoulder? I asked.

Sure enough, manipulation of the shoulder led to a yelp from my Princess of Stoicism. After exchanging glances with my vet, he got her up and off to xray she went. When Dr D came back with the first set, and his head down, my heart sank to my feet. Sure enough, there it was right there on the screen, clear as day - the trademark mottling that only rarely is anything other than osteosarcoma. Oh sh*t was the only thing I could manage to say.

Chest xrays came back clean, and bloodwork came back normal, so amputation looked to be a good direction to go in. Dr D had an opening on Wednesday, and I have a credit card that wasn't (at least at that point) too high, so the decision was made to give Mango the best chance I could.

I've spent every minute I could spare up to now reading Ember's and Polli's and Winslow's stories. First it was to find out what to expect when Mango comes home. She's still at the hospital because they were concerned that she wasn't eating. But she's doing well otherwise, so I'm going to campaign hard for her to come home tomorrow because I think the not eating now has more to do with her being away from home.

My next big decision is Chemo or no chemo? I welcome any and all insight into this decision and apologize if I ask questions that have been answered before. My time on GT these days is limited to about an hour each night during the week and I won't be able to absorb the wealth of information here quickly enough now, I fear.

But, in closing for now, I just wanted to say Thank You, GT for already being there with me and enabling me to learn so much about greyhounds in the past that I can now make the decisions Mango needs with less thought than if you hadn't been there. That is invaluable to me.

Kate

Mango, Takoda and the kitties

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I sent you a PM

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I so wish no else ever had to make this post. I'm sorry you have to. We will be with you all the way with whatever choices you make for your baby. :grouphug for you and kisses for Mango.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytfulhounds
:bighug You already know that our love, thoughts & prayers are there with you & Mango and will be every step of the way. One hurdle at a time........

Guest GreytMuse

We're counting the days until Mango and Takoda can once again join our grey-play on Sundays! Big hugs to all of you. :grouphug

Though I have no wisdom to offer, I will keep you all in my prayers for a quick healing and a rapid recovery!

I can't answer your question, but I can offer plenty of prayers and good wishes for you both.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Sending prayers and warm white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I don't have any advice to offer, but wanted to offer good wishes for a speedy recovery. These hounds are amazing, they bounce back beautifully! :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

We are going through this right now with our Maggie-Mae and I would recommend that if you are going to have the amputation then do the chemo! With us, there was no question that if amputation was done, then chemo would follow. Amputation is a way to control the pain, bone cancer is extremely painful, and chemo is what keeps the cancer from spreading so quickly. If the lung x-rays are clear, that just means that it has not spread yet, even though it is already in their body and it can also mean that the lesions are too small to detect. With amputation and chemo the average survival time is 1 year and I think it's only 6 months or less with amputation only.

Contact Dr. Couto and it may very well be that the chemo drug would be free or at least a discounted price!

Sending you my prayers.

Just wanted to add that if you are afraid to do chemo because of the side effects...it's NOT that same as in humans and Dr. Couto can tell you all about that! The biggest problem is stomach upset and there are ways to deal with that. Maggie-Mae is taking a drug for her tummy and it's really helping. If your hound should have tummy problems then the Carboplatin would probably be recommended for chemo. I encourage you to do the chemo, otherwise, the amputation is almost a wasted effort :( except that you have removed the source of pain.

I hope I helped out a little bit :blush

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Just wanted to add that if you are afraid to do chemo because of the side effects...it's NOT that same as in humans and Dr. Couto can tell you all about that! The biggest problem is stomach upset and there are ways to deal with that. Maggie-Mae is taking a drug for her tummy and it's really helping. If your hound should have tummy problems then the Carboplatin would probably be recommended for chemo. I encourage you to do the chemo, otherwise, the amputation is almost a wasted effort :( except that you have removed the source of pain.

It's not so much that I'm afraid to do the chemo as I'm getting mixed opinions, which is to be expected. But I want to hear all sides - pros and cons - because that will help me in the long run. I will be contacting Dr Couto in the morning with questions, and have a 5:30pm appt with my vet to discuss it with him as well.

Thank you for your opinion. I'm leaning toward the chemo for the very reasons you listed.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Sending good thoughts to you and Mango :grouphug .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about Mango's diagnosis and the need for her surgery. I hope she gets to come home from the hospital today!

We are going through this right now with our Maggie-Mae and I would recommend that if you are going to have the amputation then do the chemo! With us, there was no question that if amputation was done, then chemo would follow. Amputation is a way to control the pain, bone cancer is extremely painful, and chemo is what keeps the cancer from spreading so quickly. If the lung x-rays are clear, that just means that it has not spread yet, even though it is already in their body and it can also mean that the lesions are too small to detect. With amputation and chemo the average survival time is 1 year and I think it's only 6 months or less with amputation only.

Contact Dr. Couto and it may very well be that the chemo drug would be free or at least a discounted price!

Sending you my prayers.

I am in absolute agreement with greytdecals post above regarding chemo. I do believe that the treatment for osteo is a two pronged attack. Amputation and chemo.

Darcy did have some side effects but only from the very final treatment in her protocol and although she was quite poorly after that final dose and although she went on to loose her fur, she's laying on my settee as I type, hairy again and more importantly, she's thirteen and a half months out from diagnosis/amputation.

Being blunt, this is not a good disease. You know that from what you've read here. But amp (if suitable - and it's not suitable for all dogs) & chemo gives the best chance possible for a decent outcome.

Wishing you and Mango the very best, whatever you decide :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

All my best wishes and good thoughts are going to you and Mango.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am very sorry to hear about Mango's diagnosis. Not having any experience with this dreaded disease (thankfully), from what I have read and other more experienced people have already stated, I believe chemo is a must if you have gone forward with amputation. I believe (IMHO) we all want our pups to live as long as possible pain free. Amp and chemo offers the best choice for this.

With whatever time you have, please post to let us know how you and Mango are doing. We can only cheer from the sidelines but as you say, there are too many here who have gone through this or are going through this. They will be a tremendous help.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mango. I went through this with my Snickers, who was only 5 when she was diagnosed. I remember all too well that awful feeling of shock when you are facing the x-rays. I'm not sure about Mango's age, but if you are going the amputation route, I'd give her the chemo too. Although I lost Snickers just before her fourth chemo, I don't think it made her too sick and it can extend their lives for quite a time. The oncologist told me that they don't give as potent a dose to dogs as they do to humans. Snickers had an anti-nausea drug and Flagyl on hand in case the gastro-intestinal side effects got too rough.

I agree with all the other posters about the chemo -- it's what will prolong Mango's life after the amputation.

Have you joined Circle of Grey yet? That was a great source of comfort and info, along with GT. Sending lots of prayers for Mango and her family. :grouphug :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Sigh. I am so sorry to hear about Mango but you are doing all you can and that is all you can do.

As far as chemo goes, why don;t you check out OSU, bone cancer in greys article to help you make a informed decision as well as speak to as many professionals as you can.

Here is the article:

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2096.htm

As far as her not eating, she would prob do best at home. Many vets recognize that greyhounds especially are so senstive to being away from home, that the best chance of getting them to eat is bringing them home.

I believe Suzanne Stack, DVM wrote an article about that.

My prayers are with you both. PM me if you need anything.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest HeatherDemps

So sorry that you are having to face this disease.....

We made the choice to do amputation and chemo. I wanted Dempsey to have the best possible chance for health for as long as possible. He had no significant side effects to the chemo (a bit of the big D and loss of appetite). We had a wonderful 7 months with him until we had to let him go due to something unrelated to cancer..... Best wishes to you right now and prayers for a quick recovery!

Guest vahoundlover

Kate, I'm glad you posted, the more prayers, insight and helpful advice you and Mango receive the better. :grouphug I wish Sherry, Karen and I were down there to help you. :(

Give your beautiful baby girl some smooches for me and we are keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed Mango will be coming home today. :candle