Monty Has A Weird Lump: Chemo Started Post 384

Guest greytmonty

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytmonty

The vet called and the results of the needle aspiration are not good. Apparently this is a gross kind of screening test so conclusions are not clear just from this test.

Monty has a round cell tumour.

Based solely on the aspirate, if noone had examined him, the results would lean toward histiocytoma. This is a totally benign growth (he had one on his skin last year) and the prognosis is excellent.

HOWEVER, that diagnosis does not match the clinical picture. Based on the size, feel, rapidity of growth, and presentation, my vet feels that this is not likely but still possible.

If it is not, then it is something worse, and the two most likely candidates would be:

histiocytic sarcoma (very bad prognosis, worst case scenario)

or

lymphoma (treated with chemo, vet gives him 1-2 years).

Whatever it is, he needs it removed and they need to biopsy it to determine the diagnosis and treatment plan.

he will have it removed Friday.

My vet feels confident doing the surgery. They are all U Penn grads and treat a lot of greys. Monty is loved there and my vet feels she can get clean margins.

She did offer us the option of referral to U Penn to an oncology specialty surgeon. She said it would be fine if we went there. She said it would be much much more expensive and is really a judgment call.

At this point I am thinking I want my vet to do the surgery. In part, frankly, because of the cost, but also because my vet feels she can get clean margins and I know he will be treated with total loving care there.

I know many of you have gone through this. I hope people will support my decision not to take him to Penn.

Please keep Monty and also my son, Sam, in your thoughts. Monty is Sam's first dog and a beloved member of our family.

The vet didn't think it could be a mast cell tumor? Not that that would be any better than the other choices. :(

I'm so sorry to hear this news - you & your whole family will be in my thoughts (especially Monty & his little skin brother Sam). :grouphug

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Guest crazy4greys

You need to do what you think is best for Monty. If it means having your vet do the surgery, then that is what you do.

I really hope she is wrong when Monty gets the surgery. How old is Monty?

Sending good thoughts and healing prayers to Monty and your family :candle:hope:grouphug

Guest greytloves

I sure was hoping for better news for you and Monty. I bet your vet will do a fantastic job and get it all out. Will keep hoping the best for Monty.

Just wanted you to know that we all have been thinking of your boy. Sounds like you have a good vet and I too would have them do the surgery. Keep in mind that if they don't get clean margins the surgery can be performed more aggressively the second time--however, lets hope a second surgery won't be needed. There are many types of rounds cells and not all of them are--well--doom and gloom----fingers crossed that it will come back as a mangeable tumor and he'll have an uneventful recovery. Please keep us updated as you are not going through this alone--I know you have all of GT in your corner!

Guest LadyChester

We've been thinking of you, too. YOU know what is best for Monty. Being around a vet that both of you know and like is invaluable. Hugs to your whole family :grouphug

Edited by LadyChester

Oh Sh*T Karen. :( Sitting her just shaking my head. Almost, but not quite ... totally unbelievable.

I am so sorry the vet did not have better news. Monty will be right on top of my prayer list for clean margins and a full recovery.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We will all be praying for clean margins. It doesn't matter who does the surgery or any follow up treatment - remember Dr. Couto at OSU will consult for free. All that matters is how confident YOU are. Hugs to you, Monty and his "brother" Sam.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest FreddyGirl

Prayers for you, Sam and Monty. What can I say? You trust your vet and know that Monty will receive excellent care, that is all you can really do, put faith in them and pray. You are doing what is right for you, that is all that matters. :hope

Know that my prayers and white light are coming for Monty and his family. Praying...and chanting...that the margins will be clear...and that the final pathology report will be benign. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

No one will judge you for having your vet do the procedure! That's your loving decision alone. So now our job is pray and chant that Monty will be fine!!!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

You both have been in our thoughts and prayers and we are Sending lots MORE prayers and white light....... :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

When I read earlier that the aspirate was blood, I had a feeling this would be the outcome. But, I'm praying that, if it is cancer, Monty has the same cancer that Foxy had. Our vet found round cells in the aspirate, and we opted to have the tumor removed rather than sending in the fluid. Her final diagnosis was hemangiopericytoma. Treatable, rarely metastesizes, Foxy lived 4 years after her's was removed.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest greytmonty
When I read earlier that the aspirate was blood, I had a feeling this would be the outcome. But, I'm praying that, if it is cancer, Monty has the same cancer that Foxy had. Our vet found round cells in the aspirate, and we opted to have the tumor removed rather than sending in the fluid. Her final diagnosis was hemangiopericytoma. Treatable, rarely metastesizes, Foxy lived 4 years after her's was removed.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry you lost Foxy but I am glad she got 4 more years with your family.

Also I forgot to mention she will do chest x rays before surgery to see if his lungs are clear. She did not recommend an abdominal ultrasound at this point which I think would also look for metastases. They do not do ultrasound at their office and it seems not necessary at present.