Worried About Penny

Guest K9Cookies

Guest SoulsMom

Soul was shaking so much when he came home last week too, from the pain of his rash. He couldn't get comfortable either :( After a day or two he was much better . . . .

Holding Penny close to my heart :candle

ETA: I think Susan requested that the other thread be locked

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for asking the other thread to be locked. At that

moment, it seemed like a good idea- everyone is so helpful

and really understands. I want to post with something

positive, but there really isn't anything. Although I do need

to ask, how many McDonald's cheeseburgers would you

feed your hound as they lay there feeling so terrible? I

gave her 2 in the span of five minutes. I hope they don't

come back up. But she was ravenous- that's the only

thing that she will eat in a good amount.

We tried the Desitin, but I didn't feel like I could have her

wait a day or two to have it start to work. Tufts ordered her

a special cream that I had to pick up in Worcester, at a

special pharmacy. $45 for a tiny tube. That's not so bad,

if it helps. I'll buy her 10 more.

Anything we get at Tufts, though, is free. Up to $1000.00.

Any suggestions? I want to spend it on making her pain

free and happy up til the end.

It is just SO hard to know what to do at this point. Even in

the best of circumstances, they say she has 3-4 weeks

left.

I CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS! But I have NO choice. Nothing is

going to reverse this or bring her back to what she was.

She is going to a better place, I know, but I can't take it.

Please pray that I make the right decision at the right time,

for Penny. I LOVE her SO MUCH!

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

Guest greytexplorer

Don't apologize! We are so glad to hear from you again!

You'll do right by Penny. And she knows how much you love and care about her.

hugs to you both,

~Pat

Guest SoulsMom

Oh Susan, I wish I could just give you a big hug :crying I don't know anything about cheeseburgers, but if the girl wants it, I say let her have it. I'm sure she got to feel at a little more at peace being at home, surrounded by your love 24/7 than at the hospital . . . . .just spoil her rotten, it will be good for the both of you. :grouphug

Let me know if there is anything I can do. I'm off tomorrow, Soul has his ultrasound at 1:30, but other than that I'm free. . . . .

I apologize for asking the other thread to be locked. At that

moment, it seemed like a good idea- everyone is so helpful

and really understands. I want to post with something

positive, but there really isn't anything. Although I do need

to ask, how many McDonald's cheeseburgers would you

feed your hound as they lay there feeling so terrible? I

gave her 2 in the span of five minutes. I hope they don't

come back up. But she was ravenous- that's the only

thing that she will eat in a good amount.

We tried the Desitin, but I didn't feel like I could have her

wait a day or two to have it start to work. Tufts ordered her

a special cream that I had to pick up in Worcester, at a

special pharmacy. $45 for a tiny tube. That's not so bad,

if it helps. I'll buy her 10 more.

Anything we get at Tufts, though, is free. Up to $1000.00.

Any suggestions? I want to spend it on making her pain

free and happy up til the end.

It is just SO hard to know what to do at this point. Even in

the best of circumstances, they say she has 3-4 weeks

left.

And it is because you love her SO MUCH that you can accept it, because when you love this much, you would rather be the one left to feel the pain, not her. Boy if she's holding down the bugers let her have at it!! If you can get something that will help the rash, she will be so much more comfortable, and if she's comfortable, you can spend the time and enjoy each other.You two are so tightly tucked in my prayers, you for strength, and Penny for comfort.I am just so sorry this is all happening

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We are holding you and Penny firmly in our thoughts. You will make the right decision at the right time.

Much love and gentle kisses for Penny,

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

How many McDonald's cheeseburgers: The regular size, I'd think 3-4, then wait an hour or so before giving more.

Tufts: Not sure what I'd ask for, either, other than pain control meds.

Sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What's the special cream you're using? I'm going to guess it's from a compounding pharmacy, but- fill us in. Maybe someone knows of something more readily available that will function the same.

Come to think of it, do you know what the drug was that started all this? It's probably too late, but I don't think milk thistle can hurt at this stage.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Don't apologize! We are so glad to hear from you again!

You'll do right by Penny. And she knows how much you love and care about her.

hugs to you both,

~Pat

That's right...don't apologize! You and Penny were just on my mind SO much today. If I didn't post to get some support and news, I would have busted out crying at my desk this morning! :blush Penny has been through so much and you have helped her through the ups and downs. :cry1 We are all here if you need to vent. :grouphug Let us know how things go. :hope

Bonnie sends big kisses to Penny. :kiss2

I agree with Batmom about the cheeseburgers. As far as Tufts go, surely there is someone there who can give you some leads about what meds you may/will need. If pain free is the goal, tell them you want "whatever it will take" to get there! Once you have your arsenal, concentrate on Penny and making your time together totally about the two of you. Don't feel guilty - just breathe her into every pore of your being. She will respond in kind and when "the time" comes, she will let you know. Make some good memories to hold on to. Penny doesn't want your remaining time together to be full of "noise". She has probably had enough of that.

We will be praying for both of you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'd ask Tufts for gas cards to pick up the meds and Micky D's gift cards for the cheeseburgers. That seems like what Penny needs right now.

Please give her a gentle hug from me,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

P.S. Some other things you might see if Tufts has: Tripett (canned green tripe food) and Dyne (or similar high-cal nutritional paste).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, we can feel how much you must be hurting now, and I wish there was something else I could do other than offer my prayers and good thoughts. Penny has been so brave, and there is something about your precious girl that has touched our hearts. We are sharing your sadness. But remember that she is not projecting to the end of that 3 or 4 weeks, or however long your time together is. She is here in the present with you, and you should just try to do whatever makes that time easier for her. I know that is what's important to you as well. Try not to cry for her now, and let the monster steal this precious time away. Unless you truly know that she is ready to say good-by, just spoil her, cherish her, and let her know how very much she is loved. And tell her she's in the prayers of so many people she's never met!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

My heart just breaks for you and I wish more than anything I could make her well and again and take away the pain. I am so sorry and know I am here if you just want to pm me. You both are in our thoughts and prayers.... :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope :candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Please don't apologize for locking the other thread. You do what you have to do now for you and Penny. That is all that matters.

You may not accept it, but you will acknowledge it and you will get through it ... you said so in your own words "I LOVE her SO MUCH!". That is what will allow you and help you to do whatever it is you need to do in each moment.

She doesn't know what 3-4 weeks are. That knowledge is yours. She just knows that she is there with you, that you love her, that you are giving her yummy burgers and that her butt itches. There are times when it is REALLY great not to be burdened by cognitive reasoning. Love her. Feed her insanely decadent food that you never would have fed her before. Revel in her happiness at those new sensations. Those will stay with you. Her love WILL stay with you.

You will know what to do and you will make the right decision at the right time. Trust your love for her. Trust her love for you. For both the good and the bad of that, the love will tell you when to make the decision.

In the background will be all the GT'ers here to hold you up and wish you the best.

Aquitaine sends her puppy love to her sis-from another mother.

Thinking of you both this morning and sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:sad1 I feel so bad for you and Penny, but remember she doesn't fear death and she doesn't know she only has a few weeks. Enjoy your time with her, but don't let her suffer because you can't bear to be without her. She'll always be with you, in your heart and soul. I'd ask Tuft's for lots of pain meds to keep her comfortable until you're both ready. I'm so sorry, I know how hard this is for both of you.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Penny did not sleep, and neither did I. She doesn't want to move, although she can. I gave her some of the high calorie food via syringe and spoon, but she's more interested in the "Beggin Strips", so I'm giving her one every few minutes. She didn't even want a peanut butter sandwich, which she always loved. She seems to be in pain, although she is not vocalizing it. Her breathing is quite fast, most of the time. I can't get her to relax. She doesn't really respond when I speak to her or pet her. The special cream hasn't made a difference yet. Her hind end is all bloody and raw, a huge area.

My DH and I have decided that tomorrow is the day to send her to

The Bridge, unless something major changes for the better, which

I don't anticipate. Thanks for your support. It means a lot.

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg