Update On Bonnie Twist

Guest K9Cookies

We have had a terrifying and extremely busy week around here :( . I wanted to post right away, but I was just trying to keep up with everything and hang on, so things are so much better now.

Wednesday evening (10/29), I came home from work, opened the front door and saw blood and trash all throughout the house. The three hounds greeted me at the door and Bonnie was ripped open in several spots. I went into panic mode, dropped everything, got a leash on Bonnie and went directly to the car. Thank goodness, the only thing I had with me was my cell phone and I immediately called the vet's office. We arrived right around 5 PM and 2 vets along with 2 techs worked on Bonnie for hours. They told us her condition was "guarded" due to the lymphoma and chemo treatments. It was a very scary and long night. About 8:30 PM, they released her and we transferred her to the Emergency clinic for observation. We went back and forth between the two place on Thursday as well.

Bonnie came home Friday evening and has steadily improved since. We still don't understand what happened that day. They have figured out how to open the pull-out kitchen cabinet where we keep the garbage. Wednesday was the first day they managed to get the cabinet open when no one was home. We imagine there was a fight over the food scrapes and trash, but who knows. We have made the decision to always keep Bonnie separated from the other two while we are gone, no matter what. I hate that we have to do this, but we aren't going to take any chances.

It has been a very exhausting week. Bonnie has been at the vet's every day (Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Mon and today). Yesterday, we were able to do chemo, thank goodness and today was acupuncture to speed the healing. It has been a very expensive week as well. We told all of the vets that Bonnie has fought so hard with the lymphoma. We just couldn't let her fight end like this. :cry1 So, they were great, doing everything they could to help her. She has been healing up and feeling much better. :)

Just wanted to ask for some good thoughts for our girl. We'll keep you updated.

Edited by KRKWMU

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness! Glad to hear she's doing OK. Sending you and Bonnie hugs! :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Wow, that is scary. Sending positive healing thoughts to Bonnie.

I can't imagine the emotions you felt coming home to that mess. :(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Wow, that is scary. Sending positive healing thoughts to Bonnie.

I can't imagine the emotions you felt coming home to that mess. :(

DH met me at the vet's office right away, then came home and cleaned everything up. That would have sent me over the edge, I think :( . I also had realized that I hadn't checked out the other two before I left with Bonnie. He came home and found that Gracey had a minor cut on her ear and leg, but Fixer was fine.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. We really appreciate it.

Edited by KRKWMU

Oh gosh :cry1 Kristin, I'm so sorry you've been through this :(

Your girl is a fighter (and so are you)... best of all she has the love and commitment of a wonderful family, and vets who seem to be doing the best by her.

Sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts. I hope the lovely Miss Bonnie Twist continues to recover. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Kristin, no wonder you were terrified! Adding that to a week of being at the vet every day, and dealing with the ups and down of chemo as it is, it would have been enough to put you over the edge. I think I would have spent the rest of the week-end getting my heart out of fibrillation. Thank God she is getting better. And your DH is a good guy to clean everything up.

Bonnie, you precious girl, please get better, and try not to scare your Mom so much!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for your girl. For you as well, it sounds like an emotionally draining week.

:nod Yes, it really has been. My parents were in town (arrived Friday afternoon and left Monday morning). That had been planned for months, but thankfully, they were supportive and very helpful with Bonnie. Friday evening was strange with Halloween and Sunday was exhausting with the time change (went to bed at 9 PM :blush ). Finally, we are getting caught up and things are calming down. :)

I spent several hours with Miss Bonnie on Saturday while Kristin and Drew had to be out and seeing her was quite a shock. I expected the wounds but she had a lot of swelling/edema that was pretty scary looking. However, her spirits seemed okay and she ate really well for me... that made me feel better! She is a fighter (not in the literal sense obviously since she got her butt kicked (is it too early to joke? :blush )) and I know that this is just another speed bump. She has soooooo many people rooting for her.

Kristin, How did the visit go today? Did you talk to the vet about the Kenkowave? I'm curious about what she thought.

Talk to you later!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest Greensleeves

Gosh, how awful. I know the stress of one pack member being so ill can really be hard on everybody, and that can't have helped matters.

Would a baby lock for the cabinet help? (I am *so* grateful mine have never shown any interest in the trash!)

What a horrible experience for you and Miss Bonnie. I am happy she is doing so much better.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

What a week you have had. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Bonnie and hugs for you. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Kristin, when you sent the email, I was actually afraid to open it. Bonnie has always been so special to me and with all she has been through, fighting as she has, she just had to get through what was just a nightmare.All I know is thank God she has you and DH as her guardians. She is always in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I spent several hours with Miss Bonnie on Saturday while Kristin and Drew had to be out and seeing her was quite a shock. I expected the wounds but she had a lot of swelling/edema that was pretty scary looking. However, her spirits seemed okay and she ate really well for me... that made me feel better! She is a fighter (not in the literal sense obviously since she got her butt kicked (is it too early to joke? :blush )) and I know that this is just another speed bump. She has soooooo many people rooting for her.

Kristin, How did the visit go today? Did you talk to the vet about the Kenkowave? I'm curious about what she thought.

Talk to you later!

The visit today went well. Bonnie actually gave someone a half hug ;) (the woman was sitting in a chair), but that was a good sign. Everyone is pleased with how she is healing up. Many of the vet techs cried last week when they saw her. :blush

Today was just acupuncture and a blood draw. They wanted to check her bloodwork before the CCNU chemo on Friday. That is the medication that can send her WBC count way down. Hopefully, we can still give it on Friday and not put it off. Didn't ask about the infrared Kenkowave device. I scheduled another acupuncture appointment for Friday, so I'll ask then.

Gosh, how awful. I know the stress of one pack member being so ill can really be hard on everybody, and that can't have helped matters.

Would a baby lock for the cabinet help? (I am *so* grateful mine have never shown any interest in the trash!)

We've already bought a child-safety lock for the cabinet. They got into the trash while I was in the shower today, so it's a priority. We'll put it on tonight! ;)

Oh how horrible! Sending prayers for Bonnie Twist. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

It's so good to hear that Bonnie is feeling better. Although she looked quite rough on Saturday, she still wanted love an attention which went a long to make her wounds look less intimidating.

Bonnie is a fighter. Before this incident I don't think she even knew anything was wrong with her (the lymphoma) and once she heals up I'm sure she will have the same attitude.

You know we are there for you and your entire family, just call if you need anything.

What a terrifying experience but I'm glad Bonnie seems to be on the mend :grouphug .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting