Jed

Ever since we made the decision not to amputate Jed's leg, I can't help myself. I watch him like a hawk, analyze every step and/or whimper. I'm even too afraid to sign up for Secret Santa for fear that I'll get a box for him and he won't be here to receive it.

I like to hope that we have plenty of time left. I like to hope that this isn't cancer growing in his leg, that it really is a bone cyst.

Today he's limping a lot worse. The tramadol/rimadyl don't seem to be helping as much. Last time I was at my vet's office, he did tell me that we have other pain meds we can switch him between. Maybe it's time to switch... of course it would be right after I just filled up his pill bottles! His joint is very swollen, but when I tried to sit with him and use an ice pack he wouldn't have any of that - he kept moving his leg away and giving me the 'Oh please woman, stop that' look.

I hate this and I hate it for him even more that he's the one having to go through it.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Maybe it should have been in Soap Box, or maybe we just need a random Rambling category.

Poor Jed. I wish I could just make it all go away for him.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

I have never been where you are, but I sure can imagine what it's like and how much it hurts. There are others here who are in the same situation you and Jed are in, maybe they can offer advice. All I can offer is a ton of prayers for you and Jed, and that...you have!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I know just how you feel only with Jack it is cancer. Every whine. Every time he limps more. When he pants or his nose drips I am beside myself worrying that he is hurting, failing. I look into his eyes ever day to see if he is telling me he's ready. It's so hard. And I didn't sign up for secret santa.

But then Jack was diagnosed in May and for the life of me I haven't figured out why I am so very lucky to still have him with me.

:grouphug to you and for Jed

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

:grouphug It sounds like Jack and Jed are in a similar situation. Jed was initially diagnosed as osteo, and then a surgeon said he thought it might be a bone cyst, and then, after examining him, the surgeon changed his mind back to osteo.

I just wish Jed could tell me, "Mom, I'm OK." or "Mom, it's too much"

What drugs do you have Jack on?

I know just how you feel only with Jack it is cancer. Every whine. Every time he limps more. When he pants or his nose drips I am beside myself worrying that he is hurting, failing. I look into his eyes ever day to see if he is telling me he's ready. It's so hard. And I didn't sign up for secret santa.

But then Jack was diagnosed in May and for the life of me I haven't figured out why I am so very lucky to still have him with me.

:grouphug to you and for Jed

and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge

Jack is on tramadol and maloxicam. He gets usually 50mg of Tramadol in the morning and at night. And either 50 or 100mg in the afternoon. So usually 3 x a day. Sometimes I give him an extra 50 mg so that he is getting it 4x a day. It just depends on how he is. Amazinly 50mg seems to be enough for him most of the time but I have no hesitation in upping to 100mg if he needs it. I hate this disease so much. But he is still a happy boy. His osteo is in his back leg so he is able to save it a fair bit where a front shoulder is so much harder.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Call your vet and check first, but up the dose of tramadol....50 mg 2x a day is not enough for osteo pain....my girl was on 100 mg every 8 hours...check with your vet first, but that's what I would do.

Give Jed a hug for me! :kiss2

j

Edited by jordan

My heart aches for all who are dealing with the monster osteo. :cry1 Adequate pain control with meds is essential and yet, won't stop the progression of destruction that is happening in and around the bone. Please explore the maximums you can give Jed, as well as additional meds that may help him. He's being stoic and brave. Sending more prayers and light. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I don't know how much meloxicam it takes to work, but some Cox-2 sensitive osteosarcomas respond well to it; IOW, it's an anti-tumor treatment for some types of bone cancers. It might be worth it to see how much Jed can take and to see if it reduces pain *and* the tumor. How to find out if he's got a Cox-2 type cancer, I have no clue. In any event more meloxicam good help with pain if nothing else.

FWIW, our cat seems to have a cancer in her toe. We put her on meloxicam for other aches and pains and now her toe looks perfectly fine! They wanted to amputate the toe but she's 17+ so we didn't do it. Glad we didn't. Meloxicam is good stuff. I take it too.

Marcia

Guest Winterwish

I'm so sorry you and Jed are going thru' this and am thinking of you both. :gh_child:grouphug Hopefully an increase in pain medication will help keep him as comfortable as possible.

Guest WarmheartedPups

Having been through this....I know how awful it is. It is exhausting and 24/7 I think if you can get some better pain meds it may help. If you can stay ahead of the pain....its very important.

Good luck to you. Please contact me if you want to.

Linda

Guest TBSFlame

I have been right where you are. Watching them, the fear that brings. I find I watch my current healthy hounds, worring about a limp, a bump a whimper. After dealing with os it will change you forever. Of course, we don't know how much time we have with any of our hounds. We should love them like today is there last day with us. My thoughts are with you. Hugs to you and you Jed.

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry that you and Jed are dealing with this. There is a fine line between wanting to do everything you can to keep him out of pain, and worrying about every little symptom. And it's almost impossible not to worry when you are so finely attuned to what he's feeling. I wish I had an answer for you, but I think it is something we all struggle with when dealing with osteo. I've always said to try not to let the monster steal your precious time away from you, but, of course, that is a hell of a lot easier said than done. I guess what you need to do is to make sure he's on the proper amount of pain medicine, and be certain that he knows how very much you love him. I'm sure he DOES know, and that is what's important.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Right now he's on 75 MG of Rimadyl twice a day and 100 mg of tramadol 3 times a day. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow morning and see what we can do to up it.