Hatter's Mystery Disease

I'm at loss on what to do next. I'll give you some background and maybe some of you have some suggestions.

The weekend of Aug 23rd Hatter's left eye was dialated, the next morning both eyes were dialated, then nothing the next day but I decided to make an appt. with the vet because I was sure he was having petite seizures during the night even though I wasn't witnessing them. He was also dripping urine in the mornings. The appt. was on Wed. the 27th and on the morning of the 26th, dialated eyes again. He always ate good but was very quiet and reserved, and of course going outside hurt his eyes. He seemed to take hours to get back to almost normal, and by evening he seemed to feel a little better, but he was still "off".

Wed. Aug 27th he sees Dr. P and he runs bloodwork and draws urine....his urine is brown...the color of strong coffee brown!! I lost Wanda to cancer of the liver 2 years ago...that's the only time I've seen urine that color. His biliruben is elevated, and there's protein, blood and bacteria in the urine. He has a temp of 103 and all of a sudden his eyes dialate...no shaking to indicate a seizure, just sudden eye dialation.

Dr. P did ultra-sounds and x-rays of his liver, kidneys, spleen and abdomin...he says he sees nothing there to cause Hatter's symptoms and there are no signs of tumors. He gives him an antibiotic for a UTI and he adjusts his thyroid meds, and wants him back in 2 weeks. So after I got back from my trip to WA I take him back and the bacterial infection is gone, but the urine is still dark brown and he still has elevated biliruben and protein. I asked Dr. P to test him for TBD's because I got Lyme's disease right after we moved to TN and thought maybe Hatter got it also. We started him on doxy at my insistance while we waited for the tests....they all came back negative.

I've been taking Hatter into Memphis every week for 2 months now for a urine draw and blood tests, and nothing has changed. He's been on doxy for 6 weeks and nothing had changed when I had him tested last Tues.

I've asked Dr. P about Hatter's liver and he argues with me about it. He says he didn't see any tumors on the liver or spleen and the kidneys look good, so it's probably not cancer. My mommy radar says there's definitely something wrong with his liver.

Hatter hasn't had any more seizures since his thyroid med adjustment, but now he's lost 4 lbs in one week.

This week I started Hatter on Marin and Denosyl for liver support...but I'm at a loss right now. I'm probably being paranoid because of what I just went thru with Brooke.

Hatter is being his goofy self and doesn't seem to feel bad. He's eating good and all systems seem to be in working order.

I've spent thousands the last 2 months on Hatter, and I still don't have a diagnosis. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Anyone else experience anything like this. Hatter is 8 years old, had a very short racing career in WI, and has been on lose dose thyroid meds since he was 2 1/2.

I've just about reached my melt down point.

Thanks

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

I have no suggestions, just prayers and good thoughts for you. I also deeply respect Mommy radar, trust your gut. I think it may be time for a second opinion with a vet who doesn't argue with you. My vet has been known to tell me that I need to wait a day or two before he checks for something (after losing my first girl to Osteo, every limp or twinge set me off) but when I want something checked, he checks.

Please don't melt down.

Lots of prayers coming from here. Please consider seeing another vet. I find it offensive for a vet to argue with you, but even more offensive if you're expressing your ideas and he has no ideas.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Out of curiosity, did you discontinue the course of doxycycline once the results came back negative? For how long was he on antibiotics?

Hatter finishes his 6th week of doxy today. The TBD results came back negative 5 weeks ago, but the vet says even though the tests were neg, he thinks it's a TBD. He was on cephalexin for 2 weeks back in Aug.-Sept. after the 1st visit.

Lots of prayers coming from here. Please consider seeing another vet. I find it offensive for a vet to argue with you, but even more offensive if you're expressing your ideas and he has no ideas.

If you only knew what I went thru with this same vet, with Brooke. Big ego, little mind.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

My only advice is to find another vet for a second opinion - if you're instinct is nagging at you

it's probably for a reason

Sorry to hear your poor Hatter is not well, as if you haven't been through enough already

We are lucy to have a WONDERFUL vet who has treated our pets for 25 years :bow

He speaks to my wife as though she's a veterninary nurse and always asks our opinion as he says we are with our pets more than he is and are more in-tune with them.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Out of curiosity, did you discontinue the course of doxycycline once the results came back negative? For how long was he on antibiotics?

Hatter finishes his 6th week of doxy today. The TBD results came back negative 5 weeks ago, but the vet says even though the tests were neg, he thinks it's a TBD. He was on cephalexin for 2 weeks back in Aug.-Sept. after the 1st visit.

If you only knew what I went thru with this same vet, with Brooke. Big ego, little mind.

I have a good idea. Obviously I wasn't there, but I followed every bit of Brooke's heartbreaking story.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Denise, the only reference I could find to dilated pupils and red-brown urine on a quick search brought up 'snake bite'. How likely is that where you live?

There are snakes here, but the only kind I've seen in the yard are "corn snakes" and believe me I did my research when I saw it. :eek It turns out that corn snakes are very sweet snakes and are sold in pet stores because they make good pets.

I think that if he did get bit by something I would have known or found some type of wound.

Denise, the only reference I could find to dilated pupils and red-brown urine on a quick search brought up 'snake bite'. How likely is that where you live?

Now there's a thought I hadn't thought of Denise, living out in the country there are probably snakes all over the place. I know what you've been through with this vet and seriously, I think I would get a copy of all of Hatter's tests and copies of the ultra sounds and I would take Hatter and those results to another vet ASAP.

edited to say: Oops, I guess we were posting at the same time. :lol

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

quote]

Please listen to your mommy radar. I am happy to do online research and find you a better vet!!!!!! You and Hatter deserve the best. Not to be argued with. Not to be challenged.

Guest IrskasMom

Please follow your Instinct and get a second Opinion..... it can't hurt. Loads of Prayers and Hugs :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I have been going to different Vets for quiet a while...... until I find the Vet , that I can Trust and Rely on.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest myjazzy

There could be something wrong with his liver besides cancer. Did the vet do blood tests to check for liver problems? If he/she didn't, I'd quickly go see another vet.

Is this the same vet who treated Brooke? When you were telling us about her I found it very odd that he didn't send part of the bone in her leg for a biopsy, because he was sure it wasn't cancer. Even if he was sure it wasn't cancer, he should have had the bipsy done, to be absolutely certain.

ETA I remembered about Brooke and I think you should change vets.

Edited by myjazzy

geez, Denise -- you don't need anything else :( :( :( :(

no experience but I would also try another vet.....

sending many, many prayers to your boy! :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The symptoms might also be caused by Strychnine poisoning. Could Hatter have gotten into something in the house? Have you visited anyone that might be having problems with rodents and put down poison? Also, this time of year landscaping companies are putting out fertilizer on lawns and some of the ingredients can adversely affect greyhounds even the ones that are "labeled safe for animals". Another thought is anti-freeze .... this time of year people may be refilling their radiator and may spill some on the ground.

When I read your post and saw light sensitivity and discoloured urine I immediately thought of liver disease of some kind. I have some experience of this in horses but not in dogs. If your vet seems unwilling to check out the possibility of liver disease I suppose you can only ask for a second opinion. I found an interesting LINK on liver diseases.

Wishing you all the best and keeping Hatter in my thoughts and prayers.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

When I read your post and saw light sensitivity and discoloured urine I immediately thought of liver disease of some kind. I have some experience of this in horses but not in dogs. If your vet seems unwilling to check out the possibility of liver disease I suppose you can only ask for a second opinion. I found an interesting LINK on liver diseases.

Wishing you all the best and keeping Hatter in my thoughts and prayers.

This is a greyt link and full of information I didn't know....Thank You! I'm leaning towards his liver is acting up because of the hypothyroidism. I don't think he has cancer, just something with the liver. I want to find the cause and fix it.

The symptoms might also be caused by Strychnine poisoning. Could Hatter have gotten into something in the house? Have you visited anyone that might be having problems with rodents and put down poison? Also, this time of year landscaping companies are putting out fertilizer on lawns and some of the ingredients can adversely affect greyhounds even the ones that are "labeled safe for animals". Another thought is anti-freeze .... this time of year people may be refilling their radiator and may spill some on the ground.

I live out in a rural area on almost 2 acres, so there's no chance of Hatter being exposed to any chemicals. All my puppers stay in a large fenced yard and are never out unsupervised.

I also have my house baby(dog) proofed. After years of being owned by greys and fostering for many years, I know those needle-noses can get into just about anything.

Thank you for the suggestions. It's a reminder to all of us that we need to be mindful of the things our houndies can get into.

Edited by AngelWhispers

There are some mushrooms that can cause funky poisoning symptoms, too. But I don't know what to think about the brown pee continuing for so long. I'd sure check into another vet, maybe teaching hospital if there's one close enough.

Hugs and much luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.