I Think Time Is Running Out

Guest greytbookert

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear this. I had a three year old cat that got hit by a car; he lived through the accident but his kidneys got whacked and he suffered acute and then chronic kidney failure. As I was going through the process with him my vet basically said that kidney failure is just no fun--ask anyone living with it. Essentially, she was giving me permission to let go whenever I could, knowing that I was helping my kitty move out of pain. I'm not sure if cats differ from dogs. My cat, unlike MamaRo, wouldn't eat much. He would gag over food and we had to keep finding new foods that didn't make him gag. He was being sub-q fluids *twice* daily.

One thing I learned from this process, at least for me, is that animals don't necessarily let you know. Some people believe they do. But sometimes you just need to make that decision. Which is, of course, the worst thing about having fur kids. The fact though that she still is eating and hopping around are pretty good signs. With my cat, he really couldn't eat anymore and he was beginning to hide.

Whatever you do it will be the right thing for her. I have tried so hard to grasp this end of life part in so many ways but really it feels nearly impossible and the only thing is to pass through it remaining open and alive to all the feelings that rush in. I have done some hospice work and one woman on a panel said something that really struck me. She said we are given a lot of help coming into this world and we need and deserve just as much leaving it. As pet owners, if we can give our pets the compassion and ending they deserve we are giving them a real gift, much like we would want given to us.

Big hugs to you.

I know exactly what you're going through. Isabella was basically just a working head on a useless body at the end, but she never gave me a signal that she was ready to go, and still did not pass willingly when the day came. Sometimes we just have to make the decision for them and know in our hearts that it's right. Remember that old, sick dogs are going to die - we just get to decide how much they'll suffer first. I hope you have much more time with your girl before the bad outweighs the good.

:grouphug

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

:grouphug:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Both you and your sweet Mama Ro are in our thoughts. We hope you have more better days than bad ahead.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytbookert

Thanks everyone! The hugs and thoughts are greatly appreciated. DH and I talked tonight and Mama will be going to the bridge tomorrow at 8am. I'm NOT ready for this, but I know that she is. Keep her in your thoughts and hope that her passing is easy and peaceful.

I'm so sorry you're going through this :( :( :( :(

letting our beloved pets (our kids, at least to me) is the hardest thing I think we have to go through :sad1 But I've always believed it's the most important and selfless final act of love we can give to them for all the love they've given us :cry1

sending hugs to you and your family :grouphug :grouphug

I have done some hospice work and one woman on a panel said something that really struck me. She said we are given a lot of help coming into this world and we need and deserve just as much leaving it. As pet owners, if we can give our pets the compassion and ending they deserve we are giving them a real gift, much like we would want given to us.

Big hugs to you.

Sula, you have said it perfectly :bighug :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest crazy4greys

Oh Deb I am so sorry :weep My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband and sweet Mama Ro. :grouphug

I hope she has a peaceful passing tomorrow :cry1:hope:candle

Having gone through this recently with Foxy, I feel your pain.

Take the time to remember the good things, I'm sure you have so many memories. Snuggle lots and take some pictures. This time is precieous.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sending gentlest hugs, and a kiss for your beloved girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting