Soul And His Tummy

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Ok, here's the deal. Back on Sept 27th Soul and I were at the Evet (Tufts). He didn't want to eat his breakfast, his tummy was gurgling and he was in obvious discomfort/pain (And bloody big D later in the day, after the vet visit). Blood tests came back ok, but a rectal exam showed blood in his stools. They suspected whipworms and sent us home with Flagyl and Panacur. For the Panacur I was to give it to him once per day for three days and repeat in three weeks. Well, Soul improved, but exaclty three weeks later -gurgly tummy and didn't want to eat. This was Saturday. So I started the 2nd round of Panacur and the bland diet that night. He seems to be feeling ok, but his Big D is KNOT improving at all. In fact, it's getting worse. Last night and this morning it was almost all liquid. He's drinking fine, and he's not having urgent BM's . . . .it just that when he does go, it is more liquid than solid . . . . . .

So I'm not sure what to do. The last dose of the Panacur was last night. Could the watery stools be caused by the meds? Like I said, he's his normal self other than the nasty poops . . . .

A Worried Miss Amber

Guest EmbersDad

hoping the soul man feels better soon and he isnt just worrying about ember and all these other houndies that are hurting. ember had a tapeworm back in the summer, and i think the panacur did give her soft poo, but with all that has happened recently, i dont remember. just keeping a happy thought for your sweetie.

Awww, I hope the Soul Man is back to his regular self soon.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am sorry I have no experience. But I hope he feels better real soon. :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest SoulsMom
hoping the soul man feels better soon and he isnt just worrying about ember and all these other houndies that are hurting. ember had a tapeworm back in the summer, and i think the panacur did give her soft poo, but with all that has happened recently, i dont remember. just keeping a happy thought for your sweetie.

That would be my Soul! He's a very empathetic boy. So sensitive . . . .good to know the panacur can cause the soft poo, everything I've researched has only listed vomiting as a possible side effet.

I just got through giving Ellie a round of Panacur for 5 days for her hookworm. And she has had the old Wendy's Frosty soft serve puddles.. I am hoping it is her body getting rid of the little buggers.. In two weeks she gets another round. Just keep an eye on him for the next few days and see if things firm up..

G

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SoulsMom

Ok, so Soul's pudding poo cleared up by the weekend (10/25). Back on his kibble, but this time mixed with a couple of dollops of greek style yogurt and a couple of dollops of canned pumpkin (to hide his supplements). Previously he had been on grizzly salmon oil as well (to try and promote some hair growth).

Saturday, 11/1 was Archie's birthday so I gave them both a bit of sardines in their kibble. Not much, just a little. Sunday morning he got his normal meal, but this time I added in a squirt of grizzly salmon oil. He didn't finish his breakfast and was walking around with his tail tucked like he felt bad. I honestly excpected him to puke. I took him outside and he pooped a good poop and then was feeling better.

About three hours later I had them out in the backyard with me while I did yard work. Soul pooped again. This time it was formed, but had some bloody mucous in it (he did eat some grass earlier in the morning). Around 2pm he pooped again, it was almost all liquid. He had his normal dinner that night, and by 8pm his poops were fine again.

Last night his poops were fine, and also this morning. But again he didn't finish his breakfast and was acting like he didn't feel well. I'm off work today, and Soul and I had a busy day planned, but now I think we're going to lay low so I can monitor him. Anytime we have a "fun" day his stools tend to get a little soft from all the excitement, so I wouldn't know if it's his tummy, or just the excitement.

I know this is a little long, but any thoughts? Could his tummy still be a little sensitive from the meds and the sardines he got on Saturday? Or is there something else going on? All his blood work came back fine when we were at Tufts a month ago when this all started . . . .

Guest FrostyBottoms

Oh...poor Soul! I don't have anything to offer but moral support and a big hug and kiss to Soul.

Happy belated b-day Archie!

My vet did say that probiotics can clear up loose stool...you'd have to check with your vet on dosage. I don't know if that will help Soul. Poor guy!

I don't have any suggestions for poor Soul, but I would suggest asking about giving Archie the worming meds also. I've been told when one dog has worms, the other(s) probably do too. So, if you only treat one, then that dog can get it again by coming in contact with the other dog and it's poo.

Hope Soul feels better soon,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I have no experience of Panacur...just wanted to send scritches to Soul... poor baby :cry1 I really hope you can get to the bottom of this soon. :goodluck:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Still has watery poo?

Humm.

Beau always did. We switched foods to Pro plan sensitive stomach and it's been better. Could it be a coincidence about the timing of everything? Would you consider the possibly of the food? :dunno

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Did you give him salmon oil this morning?

I'd cut out all the additions to his diet -- supplements, yogurt, everything -- and just give him kibble for a couple days. If all is well, continue just the base diet. When things have been good for 2-3 weeks, start adding back one thing at a time; give each thing at least a week before you add something else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

It was only watery on Sunday, now it's back to normal but he's acting "off" again today and didn't finish his breakfast. I don't think it's his food, never had any problems until a month ago when we ended up at Tufts. He's on a grain free kibble for his Lupus. It cleared up again until exactly three weeks later, when it was time for his 2nd round of Panacur.

Good idea for treating Archie for worms as well, I'll give the vet a call. Funny Arch just turned tweleve and is in perfect health. My five year old greyhound however is racking up the vet bills $$ (before this tummy episode, we were just at the vet to have a toenail removed)

ETA: No salmon oil this morning. I started the greek yogurt last week b/c it was suggested to help firm him up after the Panacur round two. I hide his supplements for his Lupus in the pumpkin (Vit E and VitB)

Edited by SoulsMom