Any Experience With Cushings?

Guest spider9174
Results are in. We knew it was Cushings and now we know it's the pituitary affected.My vet is calling the Lysodren into Walgreens and Misty will also be on a low dose of Pred to combat the side effects of the Lysodren. She will be on the meds for 10 days and then we'll have to do the blood work up again to monitor where she's at. He said what will be very important is to measure her water consumption because in his opionion, we don't want to make Misty Addisionian. Lysodren is a dangerous drug. He said that pituitary tumors are very slow growing so that's good news. Thank you for all your support for my little girl.I'm afraid this is going to be a scary ride. I should also mention that my vet wanted to wait 5 days to start the drugs because he wanted me to measure her water consumption first, but I just don't want to wait because her weight loss is scaring me.

Many HUGS! my foster has PDH cushings (same as misty). Watching her closely will help head off an addisonian episode.

Yes...Lysodren is a dangerous drug. It's toxic and has been used as an anti cancer drug. I believe it is also chemically related to DDT.

BUT...once she stabilizes on the Lysodren, you'll be half way home. It is generally thought that if you control the Cushing's, then the growth of the tumor will not be a factor. Basically...controlling the cushings controls the rest of the symptoms, etc.

hugs

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results are in. We knew it was Cushings and now we know it's the pituitary affected.My vet is calling the Lysodren into Walgreens and Misty will also be on a low dose of Pred to combat the side effects of the Lysodren. She will be on the meds for 10 days and then we'll have to do the blood work up again to monitor where she's at. He said what will be very important is to measure her water consumption because in his opionion, we don't want to make Misty Addisionian. Lysodren is a dangerous drug. He said that pituitary tumors are very slow growing so that's good news. Thank you for all your support for my little girl.I'm afraid this is going to be a scary ride. I should also mention that my vet wanted to wait 5 days to start the drugs because he wanted me to measure her water consumption first, but I just don't want to wait because her weight loss is scaring me.

Oh, Claudia, I'm sorry. At least now you know exactly what you are dealing with and have a course of action to follow. I understand you not wanting to wait 5 days to start treatment, especially considering how much weight she has lost and how thin she is, I'd feel the same way.

From the other posts I'm reading you have lots of voices of experience to fall back on. You and Misty are not going through this blindly or alone.

:grouphug

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Claudia, I am so sorry I missed this! :bighug I don't have any first hand experience with Cushings, but I know while you are getting them stabilized it can be scary. Good news is, you know what you are dealing with and it can be treated.

:candle for Misty that things go well. Soon she will feeling better and that will make you feel better!

Claudia, I'm sorry. It sucks, but I'm looking forward to reading about positive progress in the future.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Okay then. Now you know and you have a plan. That's a good thing. Now we need Misty to gain that weight back and start feeling better. Hugs to you both.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Claudia, I'm sorry. It sucks, but I'm looking forward to reading about positive progress in the future.

Oh yes Robin, it sucks for sure. I have no idea how I'm going to measure her water intake with other dogs in the house so all I can do is do my best. I guess I am mainly worried because of my own in-experience. If this was Cushings with a human, no problem, but it's not a human

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ChancesMom

Claudia, I am glad that you now know what you are dealing with and have a plan. The positive is that you are at home and can kind of watch when she gets up to drink. Continued hugs and prayers coming from me. Keep the ice cream stocked.

Guest greydogluvr

Well at least you have a diagnosis and the waiting is over. Now the treatment can begin. I am so sorry you are going through this. My mother's cocker has this type of Cushings as well, so I know what you are going through. Misty is lucky to have you to care for her. Big hugs and healing thoughts are always coming your way!!!!

Edited by greydogluvr

From coast to coast - a hug will grow until it meets up with you........... we wish we were there in person. I know how busy you are and I was thinking of calling you...... I'll email you personally my new number - not sure I got it to you. My heart is heavy for you all, but we are there with you all the way. Don't hesitate to call if you need to talk....... I have big shoulders that hold up big ears. You know there's another name for shoulders - they're called worry shelves. It's a place to put your worries so they are between your heart and your head. This way you can keep things more balanced. And that's why we have friends and family, so when our own worry shelves get full - we can borrow theirs. I still have plenty of room available on my shelves for you my friend. And one day, I hope to meet you in person too. HUGS.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

From coast to coast - a hug will grow until it meets up with you........... we wish we were there in person. I know how busy you are and I was thinking of calling you...... I'll email you personally my new number - not sure I got it to you. My heart is heavy for you all, but we are there with you all the way. Don't hesitate to call if you need to talk....... I have big shoulders that hold up big ears. You know there's another name for shoulders - they're called worry shelves. It's a place to put your worries so they are between your heart and your head. This way you can keep things more balanced. And that's why we have friends and family, so when our own worry shelves get full - we can borrow theirs. I still have plenty of room available on my shelves for you my friend. And one day, I hope to meet you in person too. HUGS.

Thank you my friend :kiss2

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Oh, Claudia, I missed this too, till I saw in the Chat Club that Chance was worried about his precious girlhound. I'm so sorry that you and Misty are going through this. But I know that whatever can be done for her, you will do unselfishly and with much love. We feel pretty helpless, and can only keep Misty and her family in our prayers, but Lydia will be sending lots of telepathic good thoughts and white light to your sweet girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh, Claudia, I missed this too, till I saw in the Chat Club that Chance was worried about his precious girlhound. I'm so sorry that you and Misty are going through this. But I know that whatever can be done for her, you will do unselfishly and with much love. We feel pretty helpless, and can only keep Misty and her family in our prayers, but Lydia will be sending lots of telepathic good thoughts and white light to your sweet girl.

Thank you so much Nancy, and you tell Lydia thank you because we know how good she is with those telepathic messages, Wayne knows ;)

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest keegsmom

My spaniel Ceili has Cushings. She is elderly and also has serious heart problems. We decided to go with anipryl because of her age and general condition. But after several years she is still doing well and her quality of life is good. She even made it through surgery for a cyst on her neck awhile back. When Ceili was first diagnosed, I was very worried but actually it was a relief to finally know what her problem was so we could treat it.

My prayers are with you and your baby that she is stabilized quickly and has many more happy years with you. :bighug

Guest mzmazzei

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT mzmazzei@pacbell.net - Our Fiona was diagnosed with PDH in July, we are successfully treating her with Trilostane. Did a board certified radiologist do an ultra-sound of the adrenals yet?

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU AVOID LYSODREN. I think the risks are too great with our greyhounds' delicate physiology. I can direct you to expert board-certified vet advice and give you our personal reasoning and experience....

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT mzmazzei@pacbell.net - Our Fiona was diagnosed with PDH in July, we are successfully treating her with Trilostane. Did a board certified radiologist do an ultra-sound of the adrenals yet?

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU AVOID LYSODREN. I think the risks are too great with our greyhounds' delicate physiology. I can direct you to expert board-certified vet advice and give you our personal reasoning and experience....

Hi! I will email you however I started the Lysodren this am. Believe me, I know there are serious risks with this drug and I'm in for a very scary 10 days hoping that Misty doesn't crash. My vet and I talked about the Trilostane. According to him, they thought that there was less risk with it but that proved to be untrue. According to Dr Stack, Lysodren is the prefered treatment.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I tried Anipril with Nevada with minimal to no results. Lysodren, although toxic, is the tried & true treatment. Monitored carefully, it can safely treat Cushings & give the dog many happy years.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I tried Anipril with Nevada with minimal to no results. Lysodren, although toxic, is the tried & true treatment. Monitored carefully, it can safely treat Cushings & give the dog many happy years.

Carol, you've been such a big help to Misty and I, thank you. I know you're keeping Misty in your prayers and please say one for me too so I don't blow this! I know you've been through it with your girl.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

We already have a bump in the road. I gave Misty her first round of meds at 6 this am. She has already slowed down a bit on her drinking. Not a lot, but a little. I'm calling the vet to report in and just watch to see what the rest of the day brings because I can't believe one dose has affected her already. Hopefully I'm not getting alarmed for no reason.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Hugs to Misty and you. Keep us updated. I should be home most of today (except for taking Bob back and forth to the DDS for a root canal and runing to my nieces house to get things - she's staying with us after foot surgery).

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

We already have a bump in the road. I gave Misty her first round of meds at 6 this am. She has already slowed down a bit on her drinking. Not a lot, but a little. I'm calling the vet to report in and just watch to see what the rest of the day brings because I can't believe one dose has affected her already. Hopefully I'm not getting alarmed for no reason.

Actually, a reduction in the water intake is what you want. You aim for normal intake. These dogs are obscessed with drinking and eating. The reduction is a good thing....... :colgate

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I am so sorry to hear you are all going through this but with a proper diagnosis and treatment, Misty will be on her way. She is in the best of very capable hands with you.

Hugs to you and Misty.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project