We Walked (bounced) 3 Houses And Back Today!

RobinM

Polli is post amp 10 days today. Today she walked (it's more like a bounce, poor thing, her head bounces up and down :unsure ) 3 house and back home. She will rest and give us the que when to go.

She is starting to get up each and every time we get leashes and races to the door with the others and is slowly, but definitely surely starting to "come back". My heart is in my stomach as I worry about Teddy (85 pounds) knocking her over but she pushes her way through and gets to the front, where she always kept her place.

I know we have a long way to go but we are here with her every step of the way, literally and figurativly.

My little firecracker. God- I love this girl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Good news, and Robin, you sound so much better as well. I'm so glad.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

This is so encouraging.

After Snowy had her stroke in November, I too held my breath when Jack got excited, but she held her ground. Soon the girls, Pipi-Francine & Gabby started going out with her & standing on either side...ladies in waiting.

Edited by Pipi5

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Yeah Polli! It takes a lot more energy to hop than walk. Even when she gets her stamina back, she may not go as far as before surgery. As far as getting knocked down by another dog, it probably will happen.

Yeah Polli! It takes a lot more energy to hop than walk. Even when she gets her stamina back, she may not go as far as before surgery. As far as getting knocked down by another dog, it probably will happen.

Yeah, I know - but I can hope it won't!

I have joined tripawds website and there are nothing but tripods on this site. After reading about several hiking dogs who used to do miles and miles reguarly, only to be able to do 1/2 mile after a year, it put things in perspective.

Polli will walk as much as she can, no pressure. I hope to be able to go around the small block with her and if not, we will walk to the corner and back (about 7 houses) Whatever it is, it is.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Good girl Polli!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I have joined tripawds website and there are nothing but tripods on this site. After reading about several hiking dogs who used to do miles and miles reguarly, only to be able to do 1/2 mile after a year, it put things in perspective.

The normal walk we take twice (or 3) times a day is approx. 1/2 - 2/3 miles. Morgan was back doing that a few months after amputation. He maintained those walks for the first 2 years after amputation. You can tell Morgan was breathing a lot harder than the others afterwards. Considering he went on several walks a day, he was doing 1-2 miles a day.

One issue with front leg amputees is the bounce gait causes the leash clip to whack them. I haven't found a good solution. Morgan is lucky as we walk in a private area so I can let him off leash. Hopefully you'll find something that works.

Guest IrskasMom

Could I say there is Light on the End of the Tunnel . The worst is over and every Step is slighly getting better for Polli

and you Robin. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

The normal walk we take twice (or 3) times a day is approx. 1/2 - 2/3 miles. Morgan was back doing that a few months after amputation. He maintained those walks for the first 2 years after amputation. You can tell Morgan was breathing a lot harder than the others afterwards. Considering he went on several walks a day, he was doing 1-2 miles a day.

One issue with front leg amputees is the bounce gait causes the leash clip to whack them. I haven't found a good solution. Morgan is lucky as we walk in a private area so I can let him off leash. Hopefully you'll find something that works.

Yes the harness which I am waiting for. I am hoping it will make all the difference and give her the security she needs to do the steps.

http://www.tripawds.com/2008/04/29/new-ruf...s-now-available

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Yes the harness which I am waiting for. I am hoping it will make all the difference and give her the security she needs to do the steps.

http://www.tripawds.com/2008/04/29/new-ruf...s-now-available

I bought the same harness to help with the stairs. They wanted nothing to do with it. I didn't try it for walking though.

The other thing you'll notice is coats don't stay put. They twist. Last winter, I had a special tripod coat made. It twists less, but still does.

Good girl! Give em your spunk and go right to the front of pack sweetie! :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Wow! Polli and Ember are both spunky girls! I can't believe how great they both are doing right after surgery like that. These dogs are truly amazing and have such spirit!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We're so proud of you Polli! :yay:clap :clap :clap:wub:

taking it one day at a time... and getting stronger every day :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.