Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea

Guest ejw

On the up side, Jamaica made many people and dog friends and a new boyfriend, who promptly peed on a plant and the floor to prove how macho he is. :lol

I just got back from talking to a surgeon in Vancouver. Just getting there was a whole other story for someone who has never driven in a bigger city!

We got there too early because I gave myself some getting lost time :lol , so after waiting...and waiting...and waiting... Jamaica was seen by a surgeon. I requested to see a surgeon and oncologist together, but it didn't happen. I made it clear up front that radiation is not an option and she agreed. Her immediate recommendation was amputation at the shoulder (but then that's her field, which makes me wonder if that's the best route and why I wanted to see an oncologist, too). We talked about chemo, and she wasn't too keen. We talked about costs, and I said I didn't see much advantage to amputation as it didn't gain much time. She said with some cancers it didn't give a lot of time. but she felt this cancer would be much more controllable than others and seemed to feel it would give Jamaica many more years. She said they would do X-rays and such the day of surgery and it could always be cancelled if it wasn't going to add a decent amount of quality time to her life.

I suggested doing X-rays right now. When the results were back, she seemed much less doomsday-ish and more amenable to the option of a surgery/chemo approach. Jamaica's lungs are clear and the tumor seems localized. Dr S is going to talk to an oncologist and get in touch with Ohio to see what they suggest and call me next week. She did say I'd have to decide soon, and I know that as the tumor is twice the size of the one removed in June.

Cost estimates for both are high: $3500 for amputation and $2500 for chemo/surgery + fuel for trips for treatment and rounds of anesthetic.

I'm having a hard time with the idea of amputation: not because I don't think she will be fine, but because I think I'll have a problem. I'm afraid I will love her less or be revolted by her appearance, even though I love her so much now.

I'm not ready to decide yet, and won't until everyone's consulted. But I'm not sure I'm even asking the right questions or considering all the aspects I should be thinking about. Any input would be more than appreciated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldn't possibly love her less! Being a tripod became so much a part of who Zinger was that I had trouble remembering him with 4 legs. Of course, I did not have him very long with four legs. He had every bit as much life in him after surgery as before. But you will make the right decision for you and J. Once its made, don't look back.

Edited by packmom

You will not love her less or be revolted. If you would like to see what a front leg amputation looks like (warning the pictures are shocking) you can CLICK HERE They are pictures of my good boy Marvin, he had fibroblastic osteosarcoma. If you click on each picture I made comments under each one. He was very brave and we miss him. :(

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

You can look at it as she is without a leg or you can look at it as she is without Cancer. It's up to you.

My beautiful, beautiful girl had her leg amputated yesterday and started her chemo today. I never thought I could love her more, but I do.

You will surprise yourself, I'm sure. It's still your baby who will need you more than ever.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If I remember correctly Jamaica's cancer is not osteo and can have a really good outcome with an amp. Dr Couto says greyhounds are born with 3 legs and a spare.

I really don't think you will love her any less, and I won't be surprised if it strengthens your bond. Once she is healed and you move on, Packmom is right, you will lose a lot of the memory of 3 legs plus one diseased one. If it gives her and by that you good quality of life, I say go for it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ChloeMom

Hi,

I was surfing around on the website, and my husband and I are touched by Marvin's story. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to him? Did he end up getting cancer in the other leg? he looked so good in that last picture. ):

I'm having a hard time with the idea of amputation: not because I don't think she will be fine, but because I think I'll have a problem. I'm afraid I will love her less or be revolted by her appearance, even though I love her so much now.

Can't help with much besides that. It *is* a shock to see the dog missing a leg, and the more so when there may be bruising, drainage, staples, initial difficulty getting around, initial pain, etc. involved. But that fades pretty quickly. The pupper is still the same pupper, with the same spirit as before.

If you decided to go ahead with an amputation, I'd urge you to talk to the surgeon about pain and infection control while she heals. Make sure you have a nice arsenal of drugs and an understanding of what can be handled at home and what requires another vet visit. Complications seem to be quite uncommon but you want to be prepared, just in case.

Hugs and best luck to you and your girl, whatever you decide.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Would like to chime in with our thoughts on tripods too - our Angel Vinnie became a tripod at a very young age - 11 months diagnosed with osteo - we did amputation and chemo - here is a picture of him after, lazing around in his favorite position:

2006-07-11317.jpg

If you are up to seeing more (they are not too icky even if you are squeamish) just so that you can see comparisons - this is the link to Vinnie's specific photo album:

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm16/bo...product/vinnie/

We chose this after many others chimed in - including Marvin and some of the others above - we forgot all about the fourth leg when we looked at him - in your minds eye all you see is the sweet houndie that you love with all your heart - and in the end, that's all that matters.

Whatever you decide, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, you may also want to check out the two threads with Polli right now in this section. At the end of her first thread I added a great thread from everything another gt'er, Madeara, went through most recently with her girl, Asia - from diagnosis to amputation and after - so many replies and so much good information to help you as you sort through everything. Sending hugs and scritches.

It's those intial, right after surgery pics that make me wonder if I can handle it. I can get used to anything, but it's getting to that point that is hardest. I feel like everytime I look at her, I will mourn the dog that was.

But I'm obsessing about an amputation that may not even happen. I need to ask the right questions, if I can think of them, and sort out which procedure is more likely beneficial. Instead, my thoughts are going round and round and never getting to the point -- which procedure?

Right now, I feel like it doesn't in the end matter, because it's all a crap shoot. The surgeon will want to amputate and feel done with it; the oncologist will want to experiment, and in the end the d**n cancer will probably sneak through anyway.

If I choose chemo/surgery, I can't afford to back up and opt for amputation. But how do I choose?

She's your dog so its your decision :)

But from my personal perspective (and as the 'Mum' to a front leg amputee) I can tell you that those early, shocking sights go away very very quickly. Yes, it looks scary. Yes it looks very different to how the dog looked before but I can assure you that an extra leg or a scar doesn't 'make' the dog. She'll still be the same dog and you'll still love her. You will actually love her more.

I'll show you some pictures of how quickly the 'bad' sights change to much better sights. I'll leave the pics as links to click on though, in case you or anyone else doesn't want to see.

17th October 07 - The day after surgery

http://www.darcy.mydogpages.net/artists/5/...f2dde6e7a9a.jpg

22nd October - 6 days after surgery. The bruising had been and was now virtually gone

http://www.darcy.mydogpages.net/artists/5/...bbca76b2693.jpg

1st November - 16 days after surgery. The hair is already growing back

http://www.darcy.mydogpages.net/artists/5/...96787040a9d.jpg

A month after surgery

http://www.darcy.mydogpages.net/artists/5/...ffc38e53a82.jpg

I can assure you that worrying about the immediately after surgery thing and all the anxiety that it is provoking in you is much, much, much worse than what you'll feel when the time actually comes and you get your girl back home. You may still find the sight uncomfortable to look at (who wouldn't?!) but you being brave and coping with that may well be the thing which saves your dogs life.

Good luck :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest HeatherDemps

It was a bit shocking for me to see Dempsey without his leg, but it was mostly because the remaining front leg was swollen, his belly skin was hanging some from fluid buildup, and he was bruised. That wore off pretty quickly because I was just grateful my boy was still alive and had come through the surgery well since he was almost 12.... It did not take long for me (and even less time for him!) to adjust to him being a tripod and then it got to where I couldn't even really remember him not being a tripod. Amputation will not change what your dog means to you- it will actually increase the love you have in your heart.

I am sorry you are having to go through this with your pup. Both decisions are difficult and both are yours to decide as you know your Grey best. Personnally I will choose to amputate as early as possible and follow what has been to date the best course of action in sense of quality of life and longevity. I dearly hope I don't have to make that decision as it's easy to say now, likely very hard if I ever have to but bottom line is I want my boys to stick around as long as possible if they can enjoy life. The tripod issue doesn't affect me, it actually makes me want to love them more as they are special; warriors fighting the battle of their lives and loving every minute of every day that they are here. I hope if my health ever fails I can be like them and enjoy every minute of life.

Our thoughts are with you whatever decision you make.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That's such a tough decision to make. I don't envy you at all. :( If I was in a situation facing amputation, I'd do it with 80% or greater chance of improved quality of life. The only ones who care about the missing legs are the humans, the dogs don't care at all. I wish more people could be like dogs. After talking to the oncologist, you'll have to make a tough decision. For me, it would be the route with greater success potential, not appearance.

Sorry you even have to make this decision. :( Hang in there!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the decision, right or wrong, is made. Jamaica goes in for amputation Nov. 5.

Can I ask the doctor to re-Xray before surgery? Only her vet here has suggested pre-surgery blood workups, which bothers me.

I haven't a clue how to be ready for her when she gets home -- or even if there is something special I should do for the trip home itself. The surgeon says she may be ready to come home that day or the next.

I plan to take a dirty shirt or something from my laundry for her. She did not handle being at the vet's for the first surgery very well and they called me to come get her, but this time the hospital is about 2 hours away. I plan to put lots of blankets in the car for her to lay on.

We have 3 shallow steps at both the front and back door. Will she be able to handle them right away? Should I plan on somehow helping her potty?

Please, any ideas of how to handle this or what to expect would be greytly appreciated, especially from anyone else who has no other helpers in the house.

If you haven't, you should read the other amp threads going right now from RobinM about her Polli, and Ember's Dad about his Ember. Both had amps in the last few weeks and there's a ton of good info in those threads. There's also a tripod listserve you can join. I don't know what the address is but I'm sure someone will.

The most important thing is to remember that your NOT alone! You have all of us here who will send you and Jamaica tons of white light and good thoughts and prayers and every other sort of mental and psychological support possible.

Keep up updated and try and stay positive for your girl's sake.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm glad you've made a decision. Regardless of what your decision was going to be, once it's made, it's some sort of relief. But I know that this particular decision brings many worries and anxieties of its own :grouphug

As greysmom said, plough through the threads about Polli and Ember because they are very new members of the tripod gang and you'll get good ideas regarding preparations for the home and emotional preparation for you too. And as I always do these days, I'm going to point you towards http://www.tripawds.com/forums/ as another source of information and support.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

First of all, my prayers are with you and your dear dog.

You couldn't possibly love her less! Being a tripod became so much a part of who Zinger was that I had trouble remembering him with 4 legs. Of course, I did not have him very long with four legs. He had every bit as much life in him after surgery as before. But you will make the right decision for you and J. Once its made, don't look back.

Second, THANK YOU, Suzy, for sharing this video. I admit it really choked me up. Such a beautiful boy Zinger was, and obviously loved so very much.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Well, the decision, right or wrong, is made. Jamaica goes in for amputation Nov. 5.

Can I ask the doctor to re-Xray before surgery? Only her vet here has suggested pre-surgery blood workups, which bothers me.

I haven't a clue how to be ready for her when she gets home -- or even if there is something special I should do for the trip home itself. The surgeon says she may be ready to come home that day or the next.

I plan to take a dirty shirt or something from my laundry for her. She did not handle being at the vet's for the first surgery very well and they called me to come get her, but this time the hospital is about 2 hours away. I plan to put lots of blankets in the car for her to lay on.

We have 3 shallow steps at both the front and back door. Will she be able to handle them right away? Should I plan on somehow helping her potty?

Please, any ideas of how to handle this or what to expect would be greytly appreciated, especially from anyone else who has no other helpers in the house.

Old navy sells dog tees. Get the collarless tee in large or x-large for 5 bucks. good deal I picked up 2. She should be able to handel the couple of shallow steps. Make sure for the 1st week to 10 days she is always on the leash in back.

PM me with any questions. Unfortuntatly, I am right along with you. We are at day 19.

The first week was he77. I questioned what the he77 I did at day 4. Now, I know what I did and I even though our lives have been turned upside down as well as the rest of my pack due to walk schedules, attention etc. I would do it again.

Hang touch. It's all about her and you will get through it.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest jettcricket
That's an outrageous quote for amputation.

I'd get a second opinion.

I don't know about that price being so outrageous....when my first grey, Chance, had amputation 8 years ago it cost me almost $4,000.00.

Good luck with your sweet baby....

No, it's in the ballpark for a typical leg amputation.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Mom2Shiloh

No, it's in the ballpark for a typical leg amputation.

I agree with those who say it's in the ballpark. I don't think (unfortunately) that it's out of line at all.

Actually, it's spot on! ;)

Actually, it's spot on! ;)

Yep, it is. When Bones was injured we were not sure the leg / shoulder could be saved. Amputation was an option. The shoulder was successfully repaired at a cost that was more than amputation would have been.

Best wishes to you and your girl. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.