Diamond Fell

Last night, Diamond was running on my parents' fenced-in acre. She was doing big laps around the yard. She'd done about three when she ran between an above-ground pool and my parents' boat (about a 20-foot space between the two). I heard a thud and the GSOD, and my heart dropped to the ground. I'm still not sure what happened - whether the thud I heard was her hitting the boat or the pool or just falling. When I ran over to her, she was still whimpering, shaking a lot, and she was favoring her back right leg. That's the hock she broke at the track, so I was terrified she'd re-injured it, but as soon as she saw me, she walked over to me, so I saw she could put some weight on it. I looked her over - no cuts, no bleeding. I ran my hand all over her and didn't get any pain reactions. After she'd calmed down, she trotted back across the yard and into my parents' house on her own, so I thought s he was probably shaken up but okay. She ate all of her dinner last night and jumped into the back of my car without hesitating.

For the most part, she slept through the night last night, although she did wake up several times, panting. This morning, she was walking on it fine, if a little slowly, although she does seem to have a hard time standing up. It took her a few tries. The painful spot for her seems to be right at her hip, where her leg joins her torso. If I run my hand over it gently, it...twitches, is I guess the best way to describe it. Like the muscles are jerking under the skin. I massaged it very, very gently with some traumel gel which did seem to help. She ate all of her breakfast this morning, peed and pooped normally.

Does this sound like an evet situation, or should I try to keep her still and just keep an eye on it until Tuesday? Argh - I hate that it's Labor Day weekend! If the vet were open tomorrow, I think I'd just wait, but I hate seeing her in pain, and I don't want to make the injury worse by waiting.

I called my vet's 24-hour hotline, and they said it's probably not broken bones, since she'll put weight on it but that it sounds like something is going on. The woman I spoke to was "concerned about the twitching" but of course she wouldn't tell me one way or the other when I asked if I should bring her in.

I tried to camp out on the floor with her, but she insisted on jumping up on my bed. So that's where she is now, sleeping. She's definitely not her happy, perky self. I hate, hate, hate seeing my baby in pain.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest charmsmom

I would keep an eye on her for a couple of days, and if it's not gone by day 3, take her in. It may just be that she bruised it and it's a little sore.

From one Diamond to another, :grouphug

The Traumeel gel was a great idea, you might want to do that several times if you can. I hesitate to answer your e-vet question because I think that all depends on what you're seeing. Do you have anything to give for pain?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The Traumeel gel was a great idea, you might want to do that several times if you can. I hesitate to answer your e-vet question because I think that all depends on what you're seeing. Do you have anything to give for pain?

No, I don't have any pain meds on hand. Is there anything I can give her that I could buy over the counter? There's a pharmacy just down the street.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be a bad bruise or a sprain. That's going to hurt. If she's eating and peeing/pooping normally, and can put weight on her legs ok without visible pain, I'd wait until Tuesday morning.

If she doesn't look good in a few hours, I'd call the e-vet again, describe the symptoms and ask for their advice. Of course, having said that, it's your call ultimately - you know her best and can watch her behavior.

Why do these things always have to happen at the weekend, or on holiday weekends?? :headwall

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

It sounds like she's quite sore from her accident. If it were me, I'd wait a couple of days and see if she doesn't improve, as long as she's eating, peeing and poohing okay and doesn't scream in pain. If that happens then I'd get her to the vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

No, I don't have any pain meds on hand. Is there anything I can give her that I could buy over the counter? There's a pharmacy just down the street.

If it's OTC, I would pick up Ascripton. That's what I use if I don't have Tramadol on hand. But if you do go and get it...don't get the extra strength. The great thing about Ascripton is it's coated with Maalox so there won't be any stomach upset

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I use the Traumeel drops or pills for inflamation pain. It works well, so unless you think she is in pain, the gel should do it. The twitching could be from sore muscles.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Vinnie

I am so sorry that Diamond is hurting. And being a holiday weekend it's enough to drive you crazy. Our rule of thumb is that if they can walk, move, jump up on the bed and eat/drink - they are doing pretty good - however, blood, open gash, gsod every two seconds or the stressed and pained muzzle where the veins are popping up so that you can visibly see them - in they go. It sounds like she is pretty bruised but handling it ok and the aspirin is what most breeders will grab if they don't have pain meds on hand that we know - if she is tolerating you rubbing the area with the trauma gel, I would continue to periodically apply. You may also want to try hot/cold just like when I am a klutz - it helps release the area - they have the little thermal heat pads you can buy or use a heating pad wrapped in a towel while you are sitting with Diamond and alternate with a wrapped ice pack. Then check back with your vet when they open on Monday. Sending hugs and scritches.

Guest silverjen

Make sure it's buffered aspirin, and give with food. I had my sweet lab pup on daily aspirin for her arthritis, and it really did irritate her stomach if I wasn't careful to give with food.

Also, I believe that warmth only is recommended after the first 24 hours. If you don't have a heating pad, you can moisten a hand towel, zap it in the microwave for a few seconds (careful not to overcook!), and lay that over her hip. The only drawback is it cools quickly.

I'm so sorry. Best of luck.

Guest Winterwish

Have to say I'd go to the e-vet. If it were another kind of dog,maybe,maybe I'd try to self treat,but a running greyhound,their speed,their muscle,and then hitting something stationary- gee that can be very,very serious,I'd really take her to be checked. Good thoughts going out for Diamond! :dogcookie:dogcookie

edited to say even another kind of pup I still think she needs to be seen. Not to be scarey okay? this is not said for that reason-- but the visible injuries usually don't compare with the internal ones,which can be very serious and worsen over time,not necessarily improve. The vet may be able to rule out dangerous injury just by palpation alone.

just want to mention that.

Edited by Winterwish

I would say if she can jump on your bed she is doing okay. Also if eating, drinking, peeing etc - these are all good signs. Monitor daily and take her in on Tuesday if still limping or exhibiting signs of soreness.

Susan and Pongo

Thanks for the advice. For now, I'm just keeping an eye on her. She's been on my bed all morning, but she's gotten up and changed positions three times, with no cries of pain. A good sign, I think. There doesn't seem to be any swelling - just a tender spot, and I know soreness is to be expected. I'm going to take her outside here in a minute and once she's back in and settled, I'll run to the pharmacy for Ascriptin and one of those hot/cool gel packs.

It's amazing how little and fragile such a big dog can seem. I just want my baby to feel better.

Edited by vjgrey

Buffered asprin--Ascriptin is what I always keep on hand. I'd give her one with a meal, one again in the morning. I used this on my last dog who had very bad arthritis until he progressed to Tramadol (with my vet's approval). My parents have also used Ascriptin on their vet's advice. It's asprin buffered with Maalox to protect the stomach.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Since you have the Traumeel gel, you may want to think about keeping Arnica Montana, a holistic pain reliever, on hand also. :) Arnica also comes in a gel that is great for bruising.

I think you have decided it's not an emergency at this point. :) However, from the way you described it and her current behaviors, I would not take one of my dogs to the EVet either. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Just ran to the CVS and bought Ascriptin (I'll give one with her dinner), a heating/cooling gel pack and some vanilla ice cream. Hopefully, I'll have her all fixed up soon. When I got home and let Gabe out of his crate (I left her out on the bed, since she was comfy) she tried to chase him around the house and play bitey-face (something she ALWAYS does when I let them out of the crates). I've never been so happy to say "Diamond, stop biting your brother's head!" (Then I made her stop chasing).

I really think she's fine, just sore - possibly some strained muscles. I think I've just been extra-worried, due to the nature of what happened. As Mary said - a greyhound running FAST, hitting something stationary, or even the ground, could've been very, very bad.

I'd keep an eye on her. I would also call my regular vet and leave a message, if you can, for an appointment for Tuesday for a quick physical. It would be worth the Office Visit for peace of mind she has been checked over.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I'd keep an eye on her. I would also call my regular vet and leave a message, if you can, for an appointment for Tuesday for a quick physical. It would be worth the Office Visit for peace of mind she has been checked over.

Our vet has all of his calls transferred to the emergency clinic when he's not in, so it's not possible to leave a message. I am going to call first thing Tuesday and see if get her in that day, though. I agree, it'll be well worth the cost of an office visit to make sure she's really okay.

Just ran to the CVS and bought Ascriptin (I'll give one with her dinner), a heating/cooling gel pack and some vanilla ice cream. Hopefully, I'll have her all fixed up soon. When I got home and let Gabe out of his crate (I left her out on the bed, since she was comfy) she tried to chase him around the house and play bitey-face (something she ALWAYS does when I let them out of the crates). I've never been so happy to say "Diamond, stop biting your brother's head!" (Then I made her stop chasing).

I really think she's fine, just sore - possibly some strained muscles. I think I've just been extra-worried, due to the nature of what happened. As Mary said - a greyhound running FAST, hitting something stationary, or even the ground, could've been very, very bad.

The Ascriptin will help. let us know how you make out.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg