Zuma Is At The E-vet

We had to take our whippet, Zuma, to the emergency vet tonight because, somehow, the skin on the inside corner of her left eye got torn. Mike noticed it at about 7pm tonight, so off to the e-vet we went.

At first, the vet thought there might be damage to the tear duct and he'd have to put her under to clean out the area and stitch it up (and hope there wasn't permanent damage to the duct). But the vet just called at 10:45pm to let me know that, since he gave her a little sedative and was able to look a little deeper into the torn area, it looks like the tear duct wasn't affected and that he can probably just clean the area and use surgical glue to close it up. I'm thankful of that because he mentioned that he would probably have to put a drain in below the sutured area. :( He still wants to keep her there overnight so I'll pick her up tomorrow morning at about 8am. Once I get her home, I can post an update on how she's doing.

Phaelin loves to pound his front feet on the ground in front of him and in trying to figure out how this happened, the only thing I can come up with is that he probably did that with Zuma right in front of him and she was just a little too close and his paw caught the corner of her eye. He does like to do that to her sometimes when she's been outside and comes into the house, so we'll be working on stopping that behavior so this doesn't happen again. I really don't think it could be anything else......the dogs get along very well and we just don't have any issues of anyone not getting along or being pissy with each other. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the likely scenario is Phaelin and his toenails. I'll also be trimming those down Saturday.

Edited by greypuppyluv

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Luckily, they sedated her a little. :P The vet kept telling me on the phone what a good little girl she was being. I kept thinking, "Hmmmmm, is he really thinking about the right dog?" :lol

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

Guest Vinnie

Oh, poor Zuma - I hope she has a restful night and that she comes home all patched up and ready to play. Well, maybe sedately play. Saying a little prayer and sending hugs and scritches.

Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Hope your baby girl's eye is doing better today. Poor lil' peanut. :( Holding her in my prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts. :)

Zuma's home now and hating the e-collar. :rolleyes: She's still a little out of it from the sedative, so the e-collar makes everything worse than it should be and I think this is the first time she's ever had to wear one. A noise behind her? RUN AND KNOCK EVERYTHING OVER!!! She's my little girl who freaks at everything so I'm not surprised and was sort of expecting this. Poor baby hangs her head down so she can't see anything or where she's going. This is going to be a fun 3-5 days with that darn thing. But, I know she needs to have it on to protect the eye (from her paw and from the other dogs).

The area looks good (as good as it could look, I guess). Her lower left eyelid is swollen and the eye seeps, but the corner of her eye looks like it will heal up nicely if the glue holds. I have an appt with my regular vet tomorrow so he can check it out and let me know what he thinks. She has antibiotic eye drops, Cephalexin and Metacam to take for the next week.

Ouch! The problem is you most likely will never know how exactly it happened.

Yeah, I know. <_< She had some bruising on two of her legs, so I guess it will just remain a mystery.

Poor little sniglet.

Do you have a clear e-collar? They're usually more tolerable. Might have to put a few strips of tape on it so she remembers where it is, but it really reduces the OMG I CAN'T SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE factor.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, poor Zuma :( I hope she heals quickly, and that she doesn't have to wear the collar for too long. Glad she's home though, and on her way to recovery :)

:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

awww, poor Zuma :grouphug could she have just stuck her head in a bush or something? I am always afraid Holly is going to hurt her eye because when we're out walking, all of a sudden she will just shove her head into some random bush :rolleyes: I hope she heals quickly and uneventfully :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Poor little sniglet.

Do you have a clear e-collar? They're usually more tolerable. Might have to put a few strips of tape on it so she remembers where it is, but it really reduces the OMG I CAN'T SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE factor.

The one they gave me is one of those opaque white e-collars. I didn't know they have clear ones! Do those have the loops so you can attach it to a collar? I know I've seen other types of e-collars at Petco/Petsmart but I think those snap and I wouldn't think that would work on her since they don't have the loops.

awww, poor Zuma :grouphug could she have just stuck her head in a bush or something? I am always afraid Holly is going to hurt her eye because when we're out walking, all of a sudden she will just shove her head into some random bush :rolleyes: I hope she heals quickly and uneventfully :hope :hope

We don't have a dog door and it wasn't like this when I left for work yesterday morning, so whatever it was, it had to have happened in the house.

My poor little girl doesn't want to lay down on any of the dog beds......they catch the bottom of the e-collar, so now they're evil. :rolleyes: She just stands next to wherever I am with her head hanging low. It's been awhile since I've had a dog in an e-collar and I think she's picked up on that......she's going for the pathetic look, hoping I'll cave. She forgets that mom isn't a pushover. :lol

Poor little sniglet.

The one they gave me is one of those opaque white e-collars. I didn't know they have clear ones! Do those have the loops so you can attach it to a collar? I know I've seen other types of e-collars at Petco/Petsmart but I think those snap and I wouldn't think that would work on her since they don't have the loops.

They make clear ones that are exactly like the opaque white ones. Well, except they're clear :lol . Don't know if they have them at P/P but if not there, might call around to the area vet clinics to see if anybody has one. My e-vet uses them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor little sniglet.

They make clear ones that are exactly like the opaque white ones. Well, except they're clear :lol . Don't know if they have them at P/P but if not there, might call around to the area vet clinics to see if anybody has one. My e-vet uses them.

:lol:lol Thanks for the info. I called my vet and they have one in her size so I'll take her with me for a little drive to pick it up. She's been freaking out so much with this one that I'm starting to feel bad for her. I hope having something that's clear will help her not freak so much.

:bow Batmom :bow2

Jey, thanks for telling me about the clear e-collar! It's working much better than the white one did. Zuma is still freaking out a little over noises, but at least now she can see what she's about to run into. :lol Seriously, though, it has helped her feel a little better, which is a good thing. She does tend to be a bit neurotic, so it's nice to have something to help calm her down. I'm going to talk to the vet tomorrow about maybe giving her something the next few days to calm her a little more since she still freaks pretty easily at some noises.

I took pictures this morning of her eye, so if you want to see it, scroll down. If you don't want to see it, scroll down quickly cause it's kinda gross. :P:lol

The area below the eye is wet because of the seeping. That's not so bad now.

2008_0823Image0009.jpg

You can see how her left eye is swollen, especially the lower lid. :(

2008_0823Image0001.jpg

It's looking a little better tonight and I think the glue is doing the trick. I sure hope so......I'd hate for her to have to go through any more issues with this.