Update On Miss Bonnie Twist

Guest K9Cookies

Guest KRKWMU

Well, things were a little rough a few weeks back. Bonnie was feeling OK and eating well, but her lymph nodes were up and stayed that way for awhile. After consulting with Dr. Couto, we decided to add a one-time injection of Elspar and then vincristine 2 days later. That was done last week on Monday and on Wednesday. She's been doing great since...actually playing and acting like she used to before the cancer. :yay We are going to be doing weekly vincristine chemo injections along with another medication (Leukeran) every other week still. I'm not sure the chemo will ever end, but we'll just take it one week at a time.

A sad note to the story last week...The vet's office called last Tuesday and said that our vet had to go out of town on a family emergency. We had another vet at the practice do the vincristine, which was fine. I worried about our vet all week and come to find out, his father passed away. :( 2008 has been awfully rough for a lot of us. :sad1 Some of you may remember that my FIL passed away a few months ago too. I talked to our vet on the phone yesterday and he told me the news. His voice was shaking the whole time. He asked how Bonnie was doing, and when I told him that she was doing great, his voice cracked and he said "That's great, I need to hear some good news" and he was crying. It made me tear up too. :cry1

This update comes 6 months after the official diagnosis (which happened pretty quickly). It's been one heck of a rollercoaster ride. But, seeing her now, I can't imagine how we could have not pursued the chemo options aggressively. It has been expensive and that continues to add stress and anxiety to the equation. But, this is our little girl and we'll do anything and everything for her.

Here's some pictures from today after she got home from the vet's office.

Outside with Gracey, who always trails right behind her :rolleyes:

IMG_1860.jpg

Wondering why I've pulled the camera out...again! :lol

IMG_1857.jpg

Hunting for squirrels

IMG_1859.jpg

Relaxing inside

IMG_1855.jpg

Thanks for keeping us on your mind, everyone. If something comes up, I will update you right away. We have an appointment with the holistic vet next week. I'm anxious to see what she thinks and recommends. I'll update again when we get more information. Thanks! :colgate

Edited by KRKWMU

Gosh, she's looking really great and sounds like she's responded so well to the treatment. :yay:kiss2 Thanks for the update on your precious girlie. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:kiss2 This is from your friends here in the desert.It's really so good to see pictures of this little lady.Keep up the great work mom, and you know not a day goes by that we're not thinking of Bonnie.And I'm sorry to hear about your vet's dad. Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Kristin, I'm so glad to get a good update on Bonnie. You are doing all the right things for your sweet girl. She's a fighter, and deserves the best chance to beat this monster. Your vet sounds like a really wonderful guy who cares about Bonnie a lot---so sad about his father.

I loved the pics! Those ears, that elegant, intent stance...she's so beautiful.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Bonnie, Continue the good spirits, eating well ,and squirrel chasing. Good thoughts going out toyou and your family :hope

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest charmsmom

Kristin, I am SO happy to see this update! I'm also glad you followed with the Elspar!

Give some good hugs to Miss Bonnie and keep us posted! Chemo is expensive, but the Bonus Time you get is SOOOO worth it!! :)

She is looking so good -- she is such a lovely girl. Hope the regimen you've worked out will keep her happy and well for a long time to come.

Gentle hugs to your vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest paulamariez

Oh, what a beautiful, precious girl you are, Ms. Twist!! What wonderful news about Bonnie! It's always greyt to hear some good news on this board! Bonnie is so very cute with those sweet little ears that stick straight up in the air! I get such a kick out of greyhounds with those ears!! I really enjoyed looking at her photos. I will keep your tender heart Bonnie in my prayers for a complete recovery!! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Bonnie Twist lots of doggie kisses too!

Hoping things continue to go well for Bonnie. She is striking.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

She looks Greayt!!!!!!! :colgate:yay:yay We will continue to keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest vahoundlover

AWWWWW Look at your beautiful baby :wub::wub: I am thrilled to read Miss Bonnie is doing so well. :yay Lots of prayers she continues to do so for a long long time.

Guest KRKWMU

Just got a message from our vet. He is SO pleased with how Bonnie is doing right now. On the exam this past Tuesday, he could not feel ANY lymph nodes!!! :yay So, things are under control again. Thank goodness. Such a rollercoaster. I've been having a rough week, just because I'm anxious that something is going to happen again. :wacko: I'm trying to tell myself to live in the moment, but it's hard.

Next week, we'll be taking Bonnie to the holistic vet for a check-up. She's on 3 different Chinese herbs. We'll see if the vet keeps those going or if something needs to be changed. I'll give you an update about how things go after the appointment. Thanks everyone. :wubsite

Kristin, I just found this thread... what a wonderful update. I have been following Bonnie's progress continuously and I my eyes filled with tears of joy when I read your post. Wayt to go girl!

I'm so sorry for your vet :cry1

Sweet Miss Bonnie Twist, this is for you --> :kiss2 :kiss2

I loved the piccies :heart:wub::beatheart

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest KRKWMU

We had our appointment with the holistic vet this afternoon. She hadn't seen Bonnie since the diagnosis in February. Overall, she was very pleased with Bonnie's health. :colgate We haven't had any trouble with her lymph nodes in two weeks. She did a little acupuncture and some chiropractic adjusting. We talked quite a bit about quality of life and the issues that we are dealing with at the moment.

Because of the scare a few weeks ago with the enlarged lymph nodes, I've caught myself trying to do as much as I can all of a sudden to keep Bonnie healthy. I started adding a sardine a day, coconut oil, organic raw milk...all at the vet's recommendation 6 months ago, but we weren't able to do all of this when she wasn't eating well. Maybe it's too much, I don't know. :dunno There is research to support all of these things, but it seems like such a crapshoot. Every hound is different. We'll just do the best we can without getting overwhelmed or going broke! :lol

I'm just thrilled that Bonnie is doing GREYT right this minute. She's curled up on the couch next to me, and right now, that's the greatest feeling in the world!!!! :bounce8

Our spunky girl :beatheart

IMG_1810.jpg

Wonderful news! Hug and kiss Bonnie for me. :grouphug An Angel Watches Over....

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Smiling her and sending good thoughts and hugs to Bonnie and you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.