Off To The Er Again!

I swear there's something about Sundays. Misty just came in from outside and ripped out another nail. I can't get the kwik to stop bleeding and I know they'll have to cut it again. I can't understand why this happened again.So...we're off. Just waiting for someone to come and sit with Ekko and Wayne because if not, Wayne will howl the entire time we're gone and God knows what Ekko will eat.Wish us luck

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Ugh... why on a Sunday? :( Sending good thoughts and hugs. :hope:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest mickie37

So sorry for Misty. Hope that everything goes OK. I wonder what she is getting hung up on?

Mickie

Stacks-Haus Sheep Company

Ohio on the North Coast

Guest KRKWMU

Misty! :wub: What are you doing, pretty girl?!? Hope you feel better soon. Good thing you have some special treats to help you along! :P

:getwell

Guest ChancesMom

Misty, you sweet girl, what are you doing to keep hurting yourself. I think I am going to have to send Chance to take care of you. :bighug to all of you and Claudia, let us know how things go.

Donna

Misty my :wub: , Ibs is so worried about u. I tink Ibs weel be packin my bags so Ibs can come and takes care ub u. It is breakin my :heart dat ubs habs hert ur self agin. Make sure ur mama lets me no how ubs r doin.

Chance sendin all obs hibs luv and :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2:f_pink:cookie

PeeEss, Misty's housadakeeper, weel ubs pleese gibs my Misty extra ice creem fur twentylebben days so herbs toe weel heel riteawayqwik.

Guest SoulsMom

Awwww, Misty! Now it's SoulMan's turn to have sum, er some, ice cream until you get alllllll bettah! (I mean better)

:grouphug

PS~flour or cornstarch works to stop the bleeding

What a trip this was. 3 hours. They had to give her a local, cut the kiwk AGAIN give her a shot of an antibiotic and wrap AGAIN. We get home and it's bleeding through the bandage.So back we go. I was going to just change the bandage but when I tried she started screaming. I had the muzzle on her but I was obviously hurting her. So back again for another hour. The techs tell me that she's the best Grey they've ever worked on and she was very good. Figures...she only screams for me. I can't for the life of me figure out what she's ripping them on so I'm wondering if it's something else. My vet is on vacation until next month and I won't see anyone else so I'll talk to him about it when he gets back.

Misty, you sweet girl, what are you doing to keep hurting yourself. I think I am going to have to send Chance to take care of you. :bighug to all of you and Claudia, let us know how things go.

Donna

Misty my :wub: , Ibs is so worried about u. I tink Ibs weel be packin my bags so Ibs can come and takes care ub u. It is breakin my :heart dat ubs habs hert ur self agin. Make sure ur mama lets me no how ubs r doin.

Chance sendin all obs hibs luv and :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2:f_pink:cookie

PeeEss, Misty's housadakeeper, weel ubs pleese gibs my Misty extra ice creem fur twentylebben days so herbs toe weel heel riteawayqwik.

Chance, this is Misty's housedakeeper, she can't get up right now but I read her your message and I bet it made her feel better. She sends all her love to you and she wishes you were here to take care of her. I'm sure she's hating me right now.This time I don't know that she'll heal riteawaykwik but I will give her ice cream for at least fortlebbin days from you!! Thank you for caring about my girl

Does she always rip out the same nail? Minerva has ripped the same nail off 3 times.

Different nail and different foot. Can't figure it out

Awwww, Misty! Now it's SoulMan's turn to have sum, er some, ice cream until you get alllllll bettah! (I mean better)

:grouphug

PS~flour or cornstarch works to stop the bleeding

I tried everything but couldn't stop the bleeding. Plus to be honest, I think I was nervous with all that bleeding.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Oh man do I understand! Norm has done the same thing twice. Different toe, different foot. First time I was totally alone. The nail was off and I didnt realize. He just kept licking and licking and licking his foot. I finally saw what was going on. I swear with every heartbeat his toe just squirted! There was blood EVERYWHERE! Called mother and best friend. Mother stayed to clean up what she could and get the little ones penned up in the kitchen. (Damn open floor plan!) Best friend drove to the ER vet. (DP was at school.) The nail was off so all they could do is clean it, wrap it and send us home with anti-b's. The next nail that came off had to be taken off AT the vet. We were coming in, I noticed blood spots, looked down and his toe nail was pointing UP! It had done a 180. No way we were taking it off. The didnt have to sedate him but he did have to stay over night because they couldnt get the bleeding to stop. OMG I was wreck all night. No rhyme or reason for the losses. He doesnt have the best nails, but they're not the worst. I really, really feel for you! If you ever figure out whats going on, I'd love to know. And I'll do the same for you!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest HersheysMom

What a day - bet you'll sleep tonight! It's got to be frustrating not knowing what she's ripping them on, though.

Our first grey Star used to come in from the yard dripping blood quite a lot - she'd always come in with a cut someplace or other. Well one day she came in and hopped up on the couch and much to my horror she had somehow ripped an ENTIRE nail out - right down to the end of her toe! Nothing bothered this dog - she was rolling around on the couch and I had the QuickStop out but it just would not stop bleeding - luckily our regular vet was open at the time and took her right in - no ER visit, but I know how grueling those can be :rolleyes:

Glad Misty's home. I'll bet you are so tempted to just leash walk her out there so she can't get into trouble!

I am glad you are home and the bleeding is stopped. Hopefully you can figure out what she is doing it on. Wouldn't it be thoughtful if they could talk and tell us????

Let us know what your vet says when he gets back from vacation. We will think good thoughts for Misty.

The Girls

Ugh - again?! Poor Misty! And poor you. I know what you mean about the blood, it's quite shocking isn't it? When Merlin ripped his nail out there was blood EVERYWHERE. Luckily on that occasion I was able to stop the bleeding with styptic powder, but sheesh. I can't believe the nail actually grew back!

What a good, patient girl you are Misty! I bet the vet techs LOVED you :wub: Maybe a little ice-cream will help make the soreness subside? :D

Take it easy now girlie! :rules:)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I just checked every inch of the back yard and can't firgure out where she could have done it. That's the worst part because I feel that unless I can figure out where she's doing it, it can easily happen again. The er vet doesn't think it's anything but trauma but unless Misty decided to "talk" to her, how would she know? I keep Misty's nails just short enough so they don't hit the floor so maybe I'll work on getting them shorter. Maybe that'll help. The next Greyhound I adopt, I want one who talks :lol I just remembered to raise the water dishes even higher because Misty loves to put her foot in as she's drinking.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Sending the most gentle hugs to the pretty little girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Poor both of you! I hope you can figure out what she's doing this on. Did she bleed all the way into the house, can you track the blood trail back at least as far as you can and scan from there?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greydogluvr

Get better soon, Misty. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Glad she is home and cozy. Poor baby. Hugs from all of us here.

Misty! :wub: What are you doing, pretty girl?!? Hope you feel better soon. Good thing you have some special treats to help you along! :P

:getwell

And you know Misty, she'll milk this for all it's worth :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Have you gone over the yard really carefully, maybe even "bug's eye" view? It would be a shame if it was something you could fix. Poor girls! I hope Misty feels better soon, and this is the last time!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Could she have SLO?

SLO Article

A friend of mine has a greyhound with SLO. It all started out with one nail at a time being affected.

I thought about this and mentioned it to the e-vet but she seemed to think it was from some type of trauma vs an underlining cause.But I'm going to mention it to my own vet. He won't be back until next month.I know very little about SLO, but could she all of a sudden develop it at 10 yrs old? I think they check with a blood test don't they? Edited as I just read that it's not a blood test to check for SLO

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg