Milk Thistle, Capsule Or Powder ?

How do you give milk thistle?

I bought some (human) milk thistle capsules at GNC and they are kinda big.

Can I open the capsule and mix the milk thistle into the food bowl?

Does it have an odor or taste to it that dogs wouldn't like? My Gracie's been on so much amoxicillin for her eye injury that I'd rather not shove another pill down her.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

George took Milk Thistle for a while. I just tossed the capsules in with his kibbles! Of course I'm lucky--he'll eat anything. I don't see why you couldn't open them up though, if your girl is fussier than my chow hound!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Capsule... the powder tastes nasty, or so I think. I take it myself and have a distinctly flavored belch later (sorry TMI) :blush

I'd stick it in a cream cheese or peanut butter blob. I'd give a non-pilled blob first to prime the pump, and then I'd slip her the capsule one.

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I've heard milk thistle mentioned a few times, but am not sure what it's used for. What is it for?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greytbookert

I use Milk Thistle and empty the capsules into their food. However, my hounds have never been picky about what is in there bowl. Even Mama Rollo didn't mind the Cephalixin mixed in her food. She spit out the capsules... silly Mama.

I'd open the capsules and roll the halves between my finger and thumb until about 1/3 to 1/4 fell onto the kibble; I'd then shake it around and it'd stick to the kibble. Jake would eat it without complaint, and the quantity seemed to be a roughly proportional dose for a dog.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I just use the "down the hatch" method.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Ducky, instead of plain milk thistle, I use Liver Support Factors, which includes milk thistle in addition to other supplements which help with liver disease. They're soft caplets that break and crumble easily, and Lexi has never balked when I've added them to her food.

Sam-E is recommended for liver disease as well. I buy the Denosyl brand from Entirelypets.com.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest HersheysMom
Ducky, instead of plain milk thistle, I use Liver Support Factors, which includes milk thistle in addition to other supplements which help with liver disease. They're soft caplets that break and crumble easily, and Lexi has never balked when I've added them to her food.

Sam-E is recommended for liver disease as well. I buy the Denosyl brand from Entirelypets.com.

I just googled it and his supplement looks terrific!! We just had all of Hershey's organ functions checked and he's doing great except his liver values continue to inch up even though he's on SAM-e and Milk Thistle (going through chemo and primary tumor site being the liver this doesn't surprise me) I'm going to try the LSFactors instead of the Milk Thistle. Thanks!!