Mazie's Out Of Surgery Post 73

Guest BooMooandDoo

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope she has a quick recovery.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Woo-hoo! Wonderful news about the surgery being successful! :yay :yay So glad to read this. I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery... :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BooMooandDoo

We just got back from visiting her.

Bad news: She's a less than cooperative patient. She pulled her IV out twice, and screamed all night. When we got there she had a soft and hard e-collar on. . .I've never seen anyone use two before :lol:lol Apparently they gave her enough pain meds, sedatives, vallium to knock out a horse but she resisted them all. The tech said they were trying different things every hour, but her screaming and obvious disdain for being there didn't slow down. The staff were VERY happy when we got there this morning because she finally settled down for a few minutes. They asked that we come back tonight because she was much more comfortable while we were there. So it looks like she will definitely come home tomorrow for the staff's sanity :rofl

Good news: She looked AWESOME :yay :yay :yay She was walking with limited assistance. The tech had her in a sling but said it was just for "safety" in case she were to slip on the slick floors, but he let her do all the work. Her incision is about 8 inches down her spine, but the sutures looked wonderful. She only has minimal bruising.

On our way to the vet DH and I were questioning whether or not we did the right thing. Neither of us were sure that putting her through this trauma was worth it. . especially since she probably didn't understand what was going on. . . . .

BUT. . . . .

as Mazie was on her way out of the room we got our answer. . . she was trotting (can you believe it???) and she was actually tracking with her back feet. Her back end used to swivel, like a bow legged cowboy, and her back feet never came near one another. Today.. .she was putting one foot where the other left. . like a normal dog. That brought tears to my eyes :wub: I never thought she would have a normal gait or back end. . .and after less than 12 hours post surgery, she's moving with a lot more finesse and ease. It was definitely worth it! :confetti

Oh wow. How wonderful to hear she's doing so well!

Keep it up, Mazie moosey-girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BooMooandDoo

The vet just called.

Mazie may be coming home tonight. Apparently after we left she went back to screaming her fool head off and causing a royal ruckus. The vet thinks she would be much more comfortable at home. . . and will access her again this afternoon. He's not excited about letting her out this early, but thinks it may be better for her overall health because she's in major freak out mode. The one stipulation is. . we'd have to sign a waiver stating we wouldn't leave her alone overnight for any reason. . . . we can definitely do that. . . unless she's screaming like she's doing at the vet :lol :lol :lol

Guest Hannah

:yay so good to hear she is doing well so soon :yay keep on recovering Mazie :yay

so when do you need us to start on the suggestions on how to keep her quiet and you sane during her recovery :P;)

or are you just going to ask for elephant strength sedatives :lol

Guest BooMooandDoo
so when do you need us to start on the suggestions on how to keep her quiet and you sane during her recovery :P;)

or are you just going to ask for elephant strength sedatives :lol

read above. . .the horse strength sedatives apparently have no effect. .. so elephant strength might be where it's at :rofl :rofl :rofl I figured I'd cross that bridge once she comes home. . . . . .she's not the one I'm worried about. . it's my other two that I'm worried will entice her to get up an zoom. Can I sedate all three? :rofl :rofl

Oh, I think she was suggesting YOU might want the sedatives, Lori! ;):lol

It's absolutely miraculously FABULOUS that she's doing so well already!! YEAY!!! :confetti :confetti :confetti

And, besides, she's normally a cryer, right? So, she's just turning up the volume, which is appropriate for the context, and will apparently get her what she wants besides, so there ya go! :lol Mazie's coming HOME!

bionic FrankenMoose!

*snigger*

:wub::wub:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

This is all wonderful news, screaming and all! :lol

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest LolasMom

I can just imagine what it must have been like to see her walking!! :clap:clap How wonderful is that. :heart

The girl knows her own mind!...Home tonight...No discussion! :lol:lol

Guest tricolorhounds

Glad she stable enough to come home early, despite the screaming :lol

Last year, my 13 year old Lab Cecily was sent home the morning after major abdominal surgery for the same reason... They like to use the line "she'll be more comfortable at home... " Yeah right... it should be "we'll be more comfortable after she's gone." :rotfl

Guest Spencers_Greyt
The vet just called.

Mazie may be coming home tonight. Apparently after we left she went back to screaming her fool head off and causing a royal ruckus. The vet thinks she would be much more comfortable at home. . . and will access her again this afternoon. He's not excited about letting her out this early, but thinks it may be better for her overall health because she's in major freak out mode. The one stipulation is. . we'd have to sign a waiver stating we wouldn't leave her alone overnight for any reason. . . . we can definitely do that. . . unless she's screaming like she's doing at the vet :lol :lol :lol

Awww! The baby girl wants to be home! I'm glad she's doing so well and I always feel that dogs recover much more quickly at home that at the hospital!

Guest KRKWMU

I'm sure you will ALL be happier when she's at home. Hope things continue to go well. That's greyt that you're seeing good changes already! :yay

Guest BlackandBrindle
Yay for bionic FrankenMoose! :) I know that scream all too well....

"I want my MOMMA!" :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

:lol:

Good for Mazie. She misses her Trumie and Tucker and mom and pop.