White Dogs And Shedding

I bathed both boys, outside, last week. They were shedding terribly. After the bath, I brushed them both, for about an hour. Literally.

Now Fuzzy is called Fuzzy because he was fuzzy. He has lost most of his butt hair. He never was a bald butt before. The back of his legs are bare, too. You can see daylight through them!

Both boys are white and brindle. Paul has been very spare in the back, and now Fuzzy is too. Do you think the lost hair will come back? Paul actually has a little more butt hair than when we adopted him.

Fuzzy eats Breeder's Choice, but I am transitioning him over to Costco this month which Paul has been eating for a long time. They both get a fish oil capsule in the morning and Prozyme with each meal. Occasionally they get a turkey neck or chicken back but not lately as they got diarrhea the last time I fed them necks.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? On the GAA board there were quite a few comments about how much the dogs are shedding.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Harleys_girl06

Harley is white and brindle and sheds a loooot. I never have brushed him for an hour but I'm sure the hair will grow back on your greys over time.

Guest smarthound

We had a white with black patch boy who shed so much of his hair twice a year that he looked pink. His coat would grow back in over the next few weeks. Get a Zoom Groom (made by Kong) for grooming. You'll be amazed at how effective it is.

We had a white with black patch boy who shed so much of his hair twice a year that he looked pink. His coat would grow back in over the next few weeks. Get a Zoom Groom (made by Kong) for grooming. You'll be amazed at how effective it is.

Thanks. That is what I have.

While bald butts are not at all unusual, I think a dog who had a furry butt that has BECOME bald warrants at least a phone call to the vet. Not an emergency, but that strikes me as odd.

My last dog was not a greyhound, but his thyroid went on him at about 8 years of age, and his ONLY symptom was that his coat totally changed.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Turbo sheds so much I'm always amazed he isn't completely bald. The only time he ever grew any hair was when I had him on Hair of the Dog supplement. Shipping on that stuff is too much, but if you can swing it, it might bring some hair back to your greyhound fannies.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest onefloppyear

We have a white boy with brindle ticking and I have noticed that he's been shedding recently, too. I have noticed that his hair seems to be more sparse on his legs and butt. He had been finally getting some fur on his butt (after a change in food and the addition of fish to his diet a couple of times a week). The fur is still there but looks a little scraggly. He's been eating well and acting normally, so I think it's more of a weather/seasonal issue than anything else.

I'm seeing the same thing here, Irene, on Teo, my fuzzbucket galgo. I noticed this last year. He has long, wiry hair with feathering on his thighs and toes. By the end of last summer, the feathering was gone, and he had almost no hair on his butt and sides. It was all back by mid-winter, and now I noticed he's blowing coat again, and his feathering is becoming sparse.

I wouldn't worry, unless Fuzzy and Paul's coats don't fill in by winter. I think this is the canine version of putting away your winter clothes for the season. ;)

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

It is comforting to see that others are experiencing the same thing with their white dogs. Thanks for easing my anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MAXNAV

Nagivator is shedding more undercoat than normal this year. It must be the long winter we had. He does have a thyroid issue, and is on meds. He's definitely shedding undercoat hair which is sooooo fluffy. When I first noticed his normal fur coming out in chunks, shortly after I adopted him, I had him checked for thyroid, and sure enough he had to be put on meds.

Rainy is mostly white with the softest bunny fur I've ever felt. AND the most fuzziest shedder I've ever seen. We will pull enough hair off to make another DOG in 5 minutes. :o and her hair has a penchant for finding its way into my eyeballs without fail :lol<_<

I'll have to try one of these! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest RocketDog

we've got a half-naked black and white particolor boy - he's naked on his rear, neck, belly, and halfway up his sides. What coat he does have on his shoulders and thighs is kind of 'wooly' and the coat on his back and neck is longer than normal, and thick. Our girl is a fawn brindle, and she's naked on neck, belly and rear with a 'normal' tight, dense greyhound coat.

They're in perfect health... just half bald for the summer. It doesn't seem to bother them much :)

Wow, great and timely post OP! This really brought the good information out. Carl came to me with bald thighs last August, it started growing in, but not all the way. I noticed that the growth had stopped and in the last couple of weeks he seemed to be losing fur on the outside of his thighs, especially his right one (the side he sleeps on a lot). He just had a big blood panel done, so I know it's not his thyroid. I guess he's just blowing his coat and will be getting ready for winter soon (not too soon - it's hot here!). It's good to know that others are going through this, too!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I am convinced that no one sheds like the white ones. Teddy my cow dog is shedding a lot but his coat is somewhat coarse, so it is not quite as bad as Lucy. With Lucy it is like someone spilled a bunch of down pillows and it is all flying through the air. :blink:

We have had two black greys and two brindles and one fawn, none shed like the white ones.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Two white girls here, and they shed a lot. It is just this time of year. I just expect a thinner coat in summer. If their thyroids are OK, they probably are too. I don't worry overmuch. I just deal with the fluff and keep up with fish oil.

For purposes of comparison: Catwalk has something of a left side bald butt in summer. She favors the right side in a sit due to her previously broken pelvis and I guess the left just gets worn off. Pilgrim sheds and sheds and sheds but never gets really bald. She actually wins fluffy butt contests. I know the surgery scars on her back seem much more noticable in summer.

I used to think the white greys shed the most until I inherited a truly fluffy brindle boy. He is shedding his teddy bear coat everywhere right now. Bald actually sounds good, but there are no signs of Murphy obliging! He is as furry as ever.

Relax. The fur will grow back. It is just summer shed. :P

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest albrodie

I wonder about the white dogs too. My Suzie is white with red fawn ticking and she sheds like crazy. My other two girls don't but then Dottie is white with black brindle patches and lots of ticking so go figure. Whenever i brush Suzie, tons of fur comes off but not with my other two. I can't take Suzie to a meet and greet and advertise the advantages of short hair dogs!! Good luck with the bald butts but I think they are cute!