Marx Is Having Issues With His Back Legs

I'm not quite sure what's going on but lately Marx has been showing some unsteadiness with his hind legs. He hesitates when coming in/out the back door. There is no yelping. Tonight I manipulated both of his hind legs to see if there was any kind of a reaction or resistance, there was none.

Is it possible this is an early stage of lumbosacral stenosis??? Marx is only 8 and healthy. Any thoughts from those who have hounds with this condition.

Thanks,

Karen

Edited by Lilysmom

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest caiteag
I'm not quite sure what's going on but lately Marx has been showing some unsteadiness with his hind legs. He hesitates when coming in/out the back door. There is no yelping. Tonight I manipulated both of his hind legs to see if there was any kind of a reaction or resistance, there was none.

Is it possible this is an early stage of lumbosacral stenosis??? Marx is only 8 and healthy. Any thoughts from those who have hounds with this condition.

Thanks,

Karen

It is possible it is early stage LS... but I am sure there are other possibilities too. Talk to you vet and see what he/she thinks. The younger you catch LS, the more options you have for treatment.

Thanks,

Karen

It is possible it is early stage LS... but I am sure there are other possibilities too. Talk to you vet and see what he/she thinks. The younger you catch LS, the more options you have for treatment.

I agree. Hope it's nothing serious, Karen. :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest vahoundlover

Thanks,

Karen

I agree. Hope it's nothing serious, Karen. :grouphug

:nod Sending prayers it's nothing serious!

Guest ss556

I hope he is ok. alan is almost 11 and for months now he has rear leg weakness and more afraid than ever to walk on floors, the deck, etc. He's very cautious and trotts better than walks. He is getting acupuncture (6 treatments so far) and his general well being is better but not the leg issues, which appear to be neurological. Prayers for Marx!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hey Karen - ask the vet and do consider acupuncture if it's a spinal thing! Cody did really well on it - and I didn't start her till she had REALLY hurt her back!

With hers, the first thing I noticed happening was her tail went limp and she couldn't wag it anymore...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

No medical advice, just sending positive thoughts that it's nothing serious.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just because he is a greyhound does not mean he will develop LS, I was searching for a list of all possible senarios regarding canine hind end weakness and this came up on Google >>

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php? showtopic=110488 :P

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sugar (12.5 yrs) started have bad problems with her back end last fall. It wasn't LS, but it did have something to do with her spine, and also her arthritis getting worse. We went through some bad patches, but she is now fine, if a little more wobbly :) What helped her was acupuncture, adequan shots, and regular pain meds. As a side benefit, the acupuncture seems to have helped her heart problems too!

:bighug Marx

Guest houndlover

I just went through something very similar with Casey. He just turned 8 in February and seemed to be wobbly/unsteady on his back legs too. No crying or problems laying down and getting up..he just walked funny. I thought that it might be LS also. After an exam and x-rays my vet was able to determine that he has arthritis in his spine. He is on 75mg of Rimadyl 2x's per day and doing much better (he even runs and plays in the yard now!). I would probably schedule and exam with the vet to start to rule out different problems if I were you. Good luck and I hope your boy is feeling better soon.

My greyhound has hind-end weakness that has been diagnosed as Degenerative Myelopathy. If Marx's symptons came on suddenly, then it is likely not DM but if the symptoms came on gradually it's something you might want to look into. Degenerative Myelopathy is a progressive disease involving the spinal cord.