Concerned About My Greyhound After Dental

First, check her temp. Make sure it is normal.

Find out if they gave her any acepromazine. If they gave her even a small amount it could be what is wrong. I've had a vet use it and had a drunk dog for 2 days! (obviously that was the last time they used it)

Mizzy had two teeth pulled, was up and walking and I was to give her a tramadol if she needed it. She only needed a few the first 36 hours and she was eating by morning.

If you are not comfortable, take her to your regular vet.

Sending lots of prayers.

Just took her temp, 99.8. That seems low to me - ??

I don't think they gave her acepromazine, at least it's not showing on the statement and I am really not much wanting to call them back. Statement shows she had the isoflurane, with an additional 15 minutes, and an injection of ampicillin and then the meds she was sent home with. Oh, and whatever reversal medication they gave her.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The temp is OK - dogs run 100- 101, so you're right around normal.

Sorry she's having such a tough time coming out of it, bless her heart!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I have no advice either but the same thing happened with Spencer. After his dental he was crying and panting and wouldn't put any weight on his IV leg (turns out they struck a nerve and the leg was numb). Anyway, I spent the whole night lying next to him and listening to make sure he was breathing. He didn't move a muscle so every once in a while I would lay my hand on him to make sure he was breathing. Scared me witless! I hope your baby is better today!

IV leg for her was front right, not one of the rear legs. I just don't understand why her front end if okay but back end is not.

I have the windows open in the house to let a cold breeze in (brrr, I am freezing!), she is not panting at the moment but as soon as I get her up and try to get her moving, the panting starts again.

By the way, thank you to everyone who has chimed in. I don't feel so alone and in the dark about this now. I guess it is just taking her some extra time.

Guest DaffyToons

I'm so glad to see your post this afternoon! Just a few thoughts: In order to flush the anesthetic from her system, she needs fluids. I would still take her to your regular vet and have her hooked up to try and get the anesthetic out of her system as soon as possible. Also, check with the vet who did the procedure, find out what kind of anesthesia they used, what kind of reversal they used, and do not have a vet use that type on her again. Like I stated in my other post, my vet has tried different kinds of sedations to see what works best with my greys, and we have found one that leaves them happy during the recouperation process.

Please keep us posted! Btw, what is your grey's name?

I just don't understand why her front end if okay but back end is not.

In a large dog, when they are sick or infirm, they go down in the rear. Very common.

If she is not out of it by this afternoon, I'd be calling my regular vet again.

Did they give her any NSAID injections?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Forgot to mention that this morning before I left for work I did get her to eat a little bit. I boiled skinless chicken breast and she had some of that along with some Pro Plan senior canned food that I had put away if ever needed. I also got her to take a rimadyl this morning.

Guest patti909

This is so scary! Please keep us posted on her progress!

I have to agree with many others, I'd find another vet for dentals. Luke just had 16 teeth pulled last week during his dental and came home at 5:00 ready for dinner. Hi sis getting rymadel for pain and anitbiotics from the infection, but thats it.

Is your regular vet the one you told us about a few months ago? You had posted that your vet suddenly decided he was no longer going to treat Greyhounds. Is this the same vet?

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

So I called asking for clarification on what was used, and the reponse was they would put a note in her record to refer back to the anethesia protocol used this time and it would "pop up" on the computer screen to review it. I said, nicely, that is not what I was asking. Was put on hold, she came back on the line and told me what I already knew, that she was on isoflurane with propofol. I asked about acepromazine and was told no, she was not given that. She got a bit snippy saying they know greyhounds require a different anethesia protocol than other non-sighthounds (which I knew else I would not have taken her there) so it was sort of like how dare I question them. I pressed on and asked what the reversal was and she said noloxin (not sure if I am spelling that right) and that it reverses the hyrdo. I have no idea what that means and she did not seem receptive to me asking any more questions so I left it at that. :huh

I would be taking her to my regular vet..just for piece of mind and most likely IV. I'd also be worried the dental vet dropped her on the floor or something else odd.

At least if your reg vet notices something not right he can make a complaint or not reccomend dental vet to others.

Is your regular vet the one you told us about a few months ago? You had posted that your vet suddenly decided he was no longer going to treat Greyhounds. Is this the same vet?

Yes, same regular vet and after a long discussion with him he agreed to continue caring for my greyhound and that I would go to this other place (the animal hospital) for anythig he is not equipped to handle. He does not do the dentals for greyhounds because he uses barbituates.

Guest SusanP

I'd still consider getting a second opinion from a different vet on the reaction she's been having. This sounds so scary for you and her both! My vet usually lets me pick my dogs up from a dental at around noon (8 a.m. dental) and they are always a little wobbly and dazed but otherwise fine. Sending positive thoughts to you and your baby. :grouphug

I would be taking her to my regular vet..just for piece of mind and most likely IV. I'd also be worried the dental vet dropped her on the floor or something else odd.

At least if your reg vet notices something not right he can make a complaint or not reccomend dental vet to others.

Regular vet advised me to just keep a close eye on her, continue to get her to drink water and eat more chicken and canned food, to get her back outside and support her with a towel under her chest so she can get into a poop position and take care of that and to generally have her keep resting and keep an eye on her. I am to report back to him tomorrow. I've checked her over, last night and today, and nothing seems injured.

Edited by Sorcha

After you get through this, I would be writing a formal letter to the vet clinic that did the dental to complain about how they are treating you. Also send a copy to the vet who referred you. I can't believe they're acting like it's too much of a bother to answer your questions, especially after the problems you are having and the big bill you already paid. :angry:

I'm glad that you were able to stay home for the afternoon. These things always happen on the worst days, don't they?

BTW, the panting may be from pain or stress, it may not have anything to do with being warm.

Edited by Ola

Guest trevdog

I hope she's feeling better soon.

In the future, I'd be finding another vet that can do both normal care and surgeries if needed. I've never had one come out of a dental like that or at least not be completely normal 24 hours later. Even with major surgery, they've been moving around pretty well the next day.

I'm sure your regular vet is good but I'd be worried something might happen now that he can't handle himself.

this actually came to my mind, too. it just seems like something's not right and they don't want to answer any questions. has she ever been crying and screaming when you came home before? the whole situation just sounds so bizarre. I'm glad her temp seems good, but she probably does need to get some fluids in her...is she drinking anything? you've got to flush this out if this is all it really is. personally, I would be doing a real good look over her legs and back for bruising or scrapes or anything like that, too. :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest HeatherDemps

Wow- I'm so sorry for everything you and your poor girl are going through- it's so scary and the vet clinic does not sound helpful at all!!! My grey is 12 and last had a dental a year ago. I know I was shocked with how bad he seemed to do- he had always recovered fairly quickly after his dentals (and he's not had to have any extractions). I called my vet because he could barely walk on her own and she said it was likely due to his age and it was taking longer to recover. The next day, he was still a bit out of sorts, but nothing like what your baby has been going through. I hope she keeps improving and feeling better asap.

OMG!! I am so sorry this happened to you, it sounds really frightening. My grey Merlin is going in for his dental tomorrow morning and I am freaking out - especially now! Aaaargh! :riphair :riphair :riphair

Please keep us posted on your girls' progress! Sending lots of :grouphug :grouphug Hope she feels better soon... :sad1

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest grey_dreams

So sorry you and your grey are going through this. Just wanted to add, make sure that she is keeping hydrated. That's really important now. You can check by gently "pinching" up some fur/skin near the top of the shoulderblades. If it retracts back as normal then she's doing ok, but if it stays "pinched up" then she's getting dehydrated. As others have already stated, she needs to be well hydrated to move the anesthesia out of her system. And if she's getting dehydrated she will feel sicker and so may not want to drink much, which will just make recovery harder. Hope she starts to feel better soon.

Don't give her any more Tramadol. Part of what you're seeing could be a reaction to that.

Hugs and hopes she's better this evening.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is so vexing; we're all worried about her and some of us (like me) want to scream because you had to take her home when she was in such poor condition.

Are there any really good veterinarians in your area who have a reputation for being good diagnosticians? It would be so worth taking her there or even just having a phone consult with one at a distance. Something's just missing from the picture.

Either or both the tramadol and the rimadyl could be at the root of this. Add the Clavamox and she must feel really awful. I'm so sorry you're both going through this. I also have to wonder if she was dropped or manhandled.

Marcia in SC

I have not given her any more tramadol today (was told to give it to her every 4 - 6 hours as needed), and the rimadyl is given only in the morning. The clavamox is morning and evening. We'll see how she makes it through the night, if she gets me up and seems to be in pain what else am I to do other than giver her tramadol? She is drinking water, she can't get up and go over to a water bowl so ever hour I have been offering her a bowl of water. I would rather her not drink laying down, she coughs a lot of it back up, but right now don't have much choice. She also ate dinner (2 small meals, 2 hours apart, laying down) so that's a good thing.

I had her out in the yard after dinner, she did finally poop and it was not well formed but I expected that. At least she went. I had to help her walking by keeping up her hind end with the towel wrapped under her, it was too much for her and she needed a break and flopped down in the grass. Neighbor was watching from the window, came out and asked me what was wrong with her, I tried to explain and her feeling was I should have not put her through this at her age. Believe me, I did not want to, but my regular vet felt it was the best thing to do for her health. Now I wish more then ever I had not put her through this.

Going to bed now, a little early tonight, hope to catch up on some sleep missed last night. I hope she sleeps through the night, or maybe only gets up once or twice.

I appreciate everyone's concern and support.

Edited by Sorcha

Guest boni923

Both of my greys went through dentals with 8 & 11 extractions. They whimpered for a few days, but went about business as usual almost right away. One of my first concerns with vets are if they are not caring, which seems to be your case. Find another vet ASAP!!! No dog should go through such as your's has.

What a terrible thing for you and your girl to go through. I know you're feeling exhausted and frustrated and scared, but please don't second guess what you did. A bad mouth can cause so many other problems, and sometimes it just needs to be done. We usually can't anticipate how they will react. So try not to beat yourself up about it---you've been through enough as it is. I'm sure it seems like this nightmare has been going on forever, not days. I have to say you're doing a great job of taking care of her. Wish I had some answers---I only know they all process anesthesia differently, and it sometimes takes days to leave the system. The anesthesia and pain meds often cause that panting. I hope you both have a much better night. Please let us know how she's doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest DaffyToons

Even at 12 years of age, there is no circumstance where it should take 48 hours for a dog to be able to walk by itself after anesthesia. Just my opinion, but something is not right here. :unsure If any of these indications are still present in the morning, take her in ASAP, but not to your regular vet or the vet who did the dental!

I hope both of you get some sleep tonight. :sleepy I know if this were my dog, I'd be pounding on the door to a veterinarian's office before they opened, just for my own peace of mind. Hopefully there is nothing wrong, but what if there is?