Front Line Plus

Guest Liz

We have just started Lady Chauncey on her front line plus and after her dose she laid around for two days and would not eat, she also had the big D for three days. Dh was able to get her to eat some scrambled eggs over the weekend and she is back to normal, but we are wondering if any one else has this issue with their hounds. She was on this last year and would have a day of not wanting to eat but it seems this year it has really effected her. Any one have any advice for us. We hate seeing our little girl like this,but we want to safe guard her from insects because we live in an area where there is lots of woods. Thanks for any help anyone can give us.

Guest greytelectric

WOW. Sorry to hear this. I have no experience with Frontline Plus. I use Revolution on my 2 greys. It's a flea and heartworm med. Applied to the skin. NO aftereffects at all. The nice thing is I don't have to give 2 different meds.

Guest Honeysmom

Liz, I just gave my three the Frontline Plus one week ago because of the ticks and Honey came down with the big D within 12 hours of having it applied.( the next poop) I also share the tube so she didn't receive the full dose they tell you to give. She continued to eat but it may be because I give less than recommended because mine are so sensitive to the general dosages.

Guest alannamac

Here's what I got off of www.gemgreyhounds.org. They say Front Line is safe....but what about Front Line Plus??

I haven't had these issues with Bandit, but he just uses the plain Frontline.

Anyway here's the text:

COMMON PESTS - Flea and tick prevention - "Normal" flea and tick products can be extremely dangerous to Greyhounds. Products containing permethrin can be deadly. Products which contain pyrethrin as the active ingredient should be safe.

GEM recommends Frontline (spray or drops) and Advantage (drops). Frontline is also effective on ticks. Advantage is not as effective on ticks, but if you have a serious infestation of fleas Advantage is more effective. Be sure to follow directions provided with these products carefully. Frontline and/or Advantage should be available from your vet or from various veterinary supply catalogs, both printed and online. DO NOT USE FLEA COLLARS! Flea collars contain chemicals, which go directly into a greyhound’s blood stream and can cause serious health problems and possibly death.

Flea & Tick shampoos and sprays that are safe are those with PYRETHRINS as the main ingredient but NEVER FLEA DIP your greyhound. DO NOT use any flea/tick products, which contain organophosphates Carbaryl is an example of an organophosphate commonly found in flea powder, some shampoos and sprays. The long acting flea & tick products (e.g. - DEFEND, DURSBAN) may be unsafe for greyhounds as well. Seek the advice of GEM's vet coordinator on a particular product if you have any doubt of its safety.

Guest greypack

My adoption group actually recommended using Front,line Plus, but shortly thereafter, the vet who cares for their greys (and mine) stopped carrying it. I never really questioned it, as I already bought my year's supply at that point, and I just figured that it was a brand preference thing.

Well, that was January 07. Fastforward to last month. My friend in the south just switched her dog to frontline. Perfectly healthy dog. 6 years old ...died within 24 hours of the first dose. We, and the evet, just figured that she had a stroke or something.

Again fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I had ordered Frontline Plus for the first time since September 06 to start this spring. I put the first dose on my dogs and they both had the big D and just layed around for the next day.

Coincidence maybe. Just thought I'd add my recent experiences.

edited b/c it was sept. 06, not sept 07

Edited by greypack

We are going to do more research but we thought we would split the dose, instead of giving her the full dose on the 15th of the month we are going to try half a dose on the 1st and then the other half on the 15th, as I said before she had no problems with it last year, so I guess more research will help.

I use Frontline Plus--it used to give my old dog an upset tummy, but has no apparent effect on George.

My vet no longer prescribes Revolution--apparently studies are showing it is less effective against heartworm than a heartworm only preventative. I liked the convinience and the cost savings, but she simply won't give it to me.

Edited by JumpingGeorge

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've been using Frontline Plus for years, with no ill side effects. I'd contact the company for advice, and your vet.

OK, I don't want to insult you by asking this, but I did know someone once who did this...you didn't feed it to her, did you? You put it on her skin?

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Just a reminder, Revolution does nothing for ticks or flea larvea or flea eggs, it only kills adult HW's and adult fleas (as well as ear mites but so does Frontline). It does nothing for hooks, rounds, and whipworms. You'll need to add panacur to cover those.

I've had more Greyhounds and Saluki get rashes and "burn spots" from Revolution than Frontline. I've used it for years with no problems. I also spread the dosage out to six spots along the back, starting with between the ears and ending above the tail.

Also, just like humans, not EVERYONE can handle something. I can eat peanuts, but I have a friend who is extremely allergic to them. Same friend loves to eat banana's, but I can't eat a banana with out my mouth breaking out. SO, it could be that you have a hound who doesn't do well on it.

Never any problems here with Frontline Plus.

I have heard of greyhound folks in really buggy areas using Advantage (fleas) and a Preventic (ticks) collar instead. That might be an alternative for you -- different drugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KsFrets

Boy...talk about timing!!! I had just given Maggs and Maggie their first ever dose (after finding a tick yesterday morning)...got online, and read this thread last night. I decided to wait until today to reply. No problems, thank goodness :) They slept fine, got up with energy, scarffed breakfast, good poo, and we just got back from a 3 mile walk. I do like the idea of spreading it out a little more down their neck and back. I had also toyed with the idea of buying the bigger dog doseage, and spreading one dose out between the two dogs. It sure seems like a LOT, especially for little Maggie (I can still see where I put it on her today)

Edited by KsFrets

Don't hesitate to tell your vet the side-effects you saw and see if they would recommend a different drug for your dog. I cannot recall which med it was, but our girl Ruby had the big D after a particular flea-and-tick med, and we switched products, and she has been fine.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest Merrygohounds

I use Sentinal HW pills. It has flee control already in it. No side effects and onlly one chewable to remember each month.

We use Frontline plus here and have for years with no side effects, both for the pups and the kitties.

I know of one greyhound vet has stopped carrying frontline, but it had nothing to do with side effects, but because he'd found a product that he believed helped with ticks more and wanted to promote that instead.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

I've been using Frontline Plus for years, with no ill side effects. I'd contact the company for advice, and your vet.

OK, I don't want to insult you by asking this, but I did know someone once who did this...you didn't feed it to her, did you? You put it on her skin?

No insult taken and yes we put it on her skin

Thanks for the replys, we are going to split the dose, we will give half a dose and then two weeks later give her the other half, also like the idea of spreading it out further along her body so we are going to try that too, will let you all know how it works, if still having issues then we will try another med. Thanks for the help.

Guest Pat2003

My adoption group actually recommended using Front,line Plus, but shortly thereafter, the vet who cares for their greys (and mine) stopped carrying it. I never really questioned it, as I already bought my year's supply at that point, and I just figured that it was a brand preference thing.

Our vet only carries plain Frontline TopSpot. I asked why they didn't carry Frontline Plus and she said that their was research that the "Plus" ingredient is photo-sensitive which means it is destroyed by sunlight. Why pay more if the extra ingredient is destroyed.

Frontline TopSpot has worked great for us - no fleas, ticks or diarrhea.

We use Frontline plus, pups have never had GI issues but one thing I do notice is that they are pretty sensitive to it. Lily & Marx become very antsy, I wonder if it burns after applying it?

I did try just plane Frontline and the pups had no reaction what so ever. Unfortunately my vet only carries Frontline Plus.

Karen

Praying for all the missing greys!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IrishLass
We use Frontline plus, pups have never had GI issues but one thing I do notice is that they are pretty sensitive to it. Lily & Marx become very antsy, I wonder if it burns after applying it?

I did try just plane Frontline and the pups had no reaction what so ever. Unfortunately my vet only carries Frontline Plus.

Karen

I use Frontline Plus and have had problems with slight diarrhea for a couple days afterwards but otherwise am pleased with the product. However, there is much talk about how often and what dose to give to the greys. Do you all advise the 44-88lb. dose and how often is safe.

I have used Frontline Plus and have had problems for a couple of days of diarrhea following, some itching @ sight of application but otherwise pleased with the product. My question is on gryehounds; do all of you use the 44-88lb dosage and how often is safe?? Others are saying to only apply it every 3 months. If I were to do every 3 months; I would have flea infestations.

I use Frontline Plus on George. Zero side effects. I used Frontline on my old dog, and he was VERY sensitive to chemicals (a non-Grey) and I always had to apply it on a Saturday morning because it gave him diarrhea.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest ProudGreyMom

My guys get a bit "icky" for a day or two after their treatments but I found that not using a whole tube helps a lot. I space out the applications from the neck back to the tail. They really don't need a full tube with their trim bodies and thin hair.

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia just had her montly Frontline plus put on yesterday. She has been using it (except for the winter months) since we've had her,,no ill effects ever.

When I first got my first grey, I was told to use half-dosages for FL for the same reasons they take less anaesthesia etc.. They don't have the body fat that other dogs do to distribute the stuff in. It is a poison, after all. A smaller dose of poison is preferable if it will do the desired thing.

Where we live now, thank goodness, we haven't had to use anything! That's ONE good thing about this climate! :rolleyes:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.