Safe Longterm Meds For Arthritis?

Gracie is nearing 8. Her on and off limp is more on now. No corns, no places reactive to touch. My guess would be her left shoulder. Last year the vet did a range of motion and thought it was the shoulder then. I'd have to check my notes but I think he gave her Tramadol.

Glucosamine supplements (greyhound gang and others) haven't had any effect. The nearest chiropractor is a 3 hour round-trip and he's very expensive, so money is a concern. From talking with him, the first visit and treatment with him looks to be @ $400.

Gracie's not feeling miserable but she's not feeling her best. Still chasing squirrels though.

Gracie will be getting her teeth cleaned next week. I'm hoping to talk the vet into xraying her shoulder while she's out. She's done OK with dentals before but adding that extra anesthesia time for xraying worries me.

If, hopefully, we're just dealing with arthritis, what are the safest long-term meds to use? Which can be purchased at a pharmacy? I saw a post earlier today that said Tramadol was available at a pharmacy.

If she goes on a long-term medication, how often should lab work be done and is it kidney function that needs to be watched?

_D2X8034.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Patrick has been using tramadol now for (I think) about a year with no problems, good results, and are vet feels very little long term risk.

I think I pay about $8 for a month's supply (at 200mg/day) at Target.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest sirsmom

We've had Sir on Rimadyl for 4 yrs now (arthritis set in after his ACL rupture) with no problems and have just increased his dose. He will be 8 in July. He gets a yearly blood test to make sure his liver is ok.

Guest KennelMom

We use rimadyl as needed for arthritis in our crew - really only Grandpa at this point. He's got arthritis in his toes but he only needs it once in a while when he's having a bad day. I really like the joint supplement we use. Melody (only 5) will also most likely be on rimadyl as needed for a couple of injured/arthritic toes. If it's something that is given daily or regularly, you will want to do blood work for rimadyl. We did it every 6 months for Erin.

My very first Grey was on Rimadyl for 4 years, with a profile done every 6 months. She tolerated Rimadyl very well. One of the boys was on Tramadol for 2 years because he couldn't take Rimadyl because of Von Willebrands.I think Rimadyl, Metacam or the others are safe as long as a profile is done every 6 months.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BleusysMom

DURALACTIN!!!!!!

This is a Non-prescription product that is only---Dried Milk Protein!!!!!

This was given to a very bad arthritic Lab I had---given by her Acupuncturist Vet...and----IT WORKS!!!!!! It is SAFE, and can be given with any supplements or other prescription drugs. And GREY SAFE!!!!

And....it is for cats, dogs, HUMANS, horses and many other animals. I use the Horse Granules for my Grey and Cat===and MYSELF!!!!!

Read about it at www.omahavaccine.com - and maybe get only the dog wafers to start with, and find out if it works in your Household!

THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!!

Edited by BleusysMom

Missy is nearly nine now and has been on Metacam for a few years. I believe the safest of the nsaids (regular bloodwork is done.

I just switched her to generic form: Meloxicam which is $4.00 at Walmart or Target!

In addition she takes:

Arthrisoothe Gold Liquid (comes in pill too) from Naturvet

http://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-ArthriSooth...2584&sr=8-8

Fresh Factors from springtime inc. A great product

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/88/2

Omega 3 and vitamin E

Acupuncture as needed.

Try MSM 1000mg a day. Easy to get and not expensive. Or you can try Joint Health from Springtime. It has MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin + a few other minor things. I've done the Fresh Factors and buy MSM at Whole Foods along with fish oil caps.

From talking with him, the first visit and treatment with him looks to be @ $400.

That is ridiculous. What does it include?

I've not used a NSAID since Eliza. If you do, regardless of which one, do blood work to start, check in two weeks, then six weeks. Make sure you check kidney function as well as platelets and liver function.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I've not used a NSAID since Eliza. If you do, regardless of which one, do blood work to start, check in two weeks, then six weeks. Make sure you check kidney function as well as platelets and liver function.

Yep. If all is well, after that you can go to @ 6 month checks. For the baseline bloodwork, I would vote for the accurate platelet count in the special tube, but you shouldn't need to repeat that unless there was a question about the regular blood results.

What works without causing damage really depends on the dog. We had a non-grey with kidney disease (yikes!) who took butazolidin for years with no problems at all. Neither the kidney disease nor the bute killed her.

For genuine arthritis, NSAIDs are the most effective thing there is for dogs who can tolerate them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for all the information. And Burpdog, thanks for the PM's too.

When Gracie goes in for her dental on Friday I'll have my requests typed up. If I get the younger partner he'll be curious, if I get the older partner I'll get the eye roll.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I used CMO & glucosamine from the Greyhound Gang for Maisy and the results were incredible. She's now running around like a puppy again and her joint swelling is pretty much a thing of the past.

Patrick has been using tramadol now for (I think) about a year with no problems, good results, and are vet feels very little long term risk.

I think I pay about $8 for a month's supply (at 200mg/day) at Target.

We are that right now. And we were told it is rather safe. And it is cheap to get.

We did Previcox for about a year and a half. It would run me $90 for a 60 tablet supply of this. Blood work every 6 months as long as nothing was out of the ordinary with her. I have tried a ton of supplements. The one I have had the best luck with was Synovi G3. I order it at omahavaccine.com. It was the cheapest I found.

I tried Duralactin, it gave Shanti horrid runs. I also tried Dog Gone Pain. No luck. Several others too.

I think a lot is trial and error. Some supplements work great on some dogs and some don't. You have to find what works best on your pup. And yes, that part gets frustrating.

Good luck!

The Girls

When Sugar's arthritis was mild, we used Metacam as needed. When it got really bad this fall, I ended up switching to Tramadol (1-2 50mg every 8 hrs when it flares up, 1 2x day maintenance). That and acupuncture have really helped. She gets a Pepcid 2x day as well because of all her meds. She gets blood work every 6 months for her heart condition anyway. I found Cosamin first, later Dasuquin (made by same company) the glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement that worked they best for her. Try Joint Health first though, it's cheaper :)

DURALACTIN!!!!!!

This is a Non-prescription product that is only---Dried Milk Protein!!!!!

This was given to a very bad arthritic Lab I had---given by her Acupuncturist Vet...and----IT WORKS!!!!!! It is SAFE, and can be given with any supplements or other prescription drugs. And GREY SAFE!!!!

And....it is for cats, dogs, HUMANS, horses and many other animals. I use the Horse Granules for my Grey and Cat===and MYSELF!!!!!

Read about it at www.omahavaccine.com - and maybe get only the dog wafers to start with, and find out if it works in your Household!

THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!!

Duralactin worked for Pharaoh too. When he was 8 years old, he was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis. I started using Duralactin and his arthritis went away. I could even feel a bone spur in his shoulder which is now gone. He is over 11 years old now and doing wonderful. He still takes his Duralactin every day. :)

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Guest BackUptheTruck

This month's Whole Dog Journal recommended shock wave therapy for arthritis and other musculo-skeletal conditions. You need a subscription to read the full article but it might be worth the read...

Whole Dog Journal

ESWT Article

Edited by BackUptheTruck