Alex Has Been Admitted Again.

Guest CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

It was two weekends ago that Alex had to spend the night for fluids due to dehydration from not eating or drinking. He bounced back from that slowly and this past week has been wonderful. He has been eating well, playing, and exercising in the backyard. He had CeeNu for the first time last Friday and I assumed it shrunk the tumor because he was feeling so good this week.

However, apparently it really did a number on his CBC - his white count was 500 last night and his temp was 106.1. He could barely walk and I had to lift him in the vehicle for our long drive to the emergency clinic. He is on fluids, Baytril, and Clavamox. His temp dropped down into the 104 area once early this morning and they said he really perked up but now it is back up to almost 106. The doctors are letting him ride out the temp to try to fight the infection. The only thing they have found so far is a UTI. All the x-rays and blood work (besides the CBC) came back normal. They are concerned that he is painful in his abdomen because they said a UTI would not cause that much tenderness. It is possible that he also has a kidney infection causing the tenderness but the doctor said it was doubtful because his kidney values were normal.

Alex's name was Twilite Battle and when we adopted him we changed it to Alexander Battle. He sure has had to fight a lot of "battles" this past year. I know he is not going to be able to win them all but I am praying that he can win a few more. His spirit is still so strong. Hopefully, nothing more his going on that they are not seeing at this point.

Sending prayers and light for your brave boy. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending many prayers.

My angel B took a dose of CeeNu also, and it trashed his white count too. He didn't develop a fever tho. :(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CyndiW

Alex's fever is hanging around 104 this evening which is a little encouraging. He regurgitated twice but I stressed how important it was to get him back on the Cerenia, carafate, and pepcid. I have worked so hard to get the bleeding ulcers and nausea stopped and I don't want that stuff to spiral out of control again. He has other things to focus on right now. They said he is still very weak on his feet but does go out to pee. I am going up in the morning to make sure all of his meds are in line and to hopefully lift his spirits.

This is a very efficient and fairly large clinic but extremely overwhelmed this weekend. At least 2 of the board certified surgeons were there well past midnight last night because of all the emergencies that came in. There were also 3-4 emergency room vets there also from what I could tell. Then, to top it off, the media showed up at 11:00 last night to spend the night taping and interviewing. I made it home at 3:30am but the reporter and camera man were still there when I called at 7:00am. It hasn't slowed down for them today either which concerns me. I know they are doing the best they can but my last update by a doctor was this morning. I just feel I need to be there tomorrow.

Thank you for all the healing thoughts and prayers. It means so much to have the GT community - people who truly understand and care.

Edited by CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

At noon today, Alex's fever was normal and his WBC was 8000!!! We are all still in shock that it went from 500 to 8000 in 36 hours. He continues to amaze me. He was happy to see me because I took his liver treats. He was so cute sitting up to eat those. Our favorite tech already had him eating some kibble, cheese, and baby food when I called a few hours after leaving. The oncologist will recheck him tomorrow and then I get to bring him home. Thanks again for the prayers and healing thoughts.