Faye Had A Dental & Lost 23 Teeth!

Guest Sassifrass

Guest Sassifrass

:eek My almost 13 year old greyhound Faye had a dental yesterday and lost 23 teeth. She has had awful teeth since I adopted her ten years ago and always lost a tooth or two at every dental. The vet told me yesterday when I picked Faye up at the office that she had had her last dental. :P

For a senior girlie Faye did very well last night. This morning she is drinking water and staying quiet, which I expected. My question for all of you with toothless greys is what to feed? I have been previously giving her kibble with water added to soften it, a "dollup" of canned dog food, and a tablespoon of cottage cheese for a garnish.

Do the toothless greys manage kibble at all? I didn't expect her to lose 23 teeth. The vet gave me the teeth in a pill bottle and I've never seen such snaggled messes in my life. I understand why the teeth had to be pulled.

Could anyone give me some recommendations on what to feed Faye? I assume that she won't be eating much for several days, but then what?

Diamond lost 23 teeth a little over a year ago. (including most of her canines).

She eats kibble just fine when I mix it with 1/4 can wet food. If the canned isn't 'gloppy' enough, I add water. But I dont' soak her kibble. I do that only for Onyx who has an laryngeal tieback.

Diamond never chewed her food, she wolfed it down. But if Faye chewed her food, then just soaking it with warm water for about 15 minutes should be enough. The funny thing is that Diamond does have one front bottom tooth and one top canine tooth on the same side, so her tongue goes out on one side. She flicks her food all over the place with that tongue of hers. She usually ends up with something on top of her face or head.

The first day or two, she wasn't interested in eating, her mouth was sore. Even with meds. So, I just offered, but didn't force. She at least did like liverwurst so that's how she got her meds.

Nowadays she still eats milkbone biscuits. She does have a few teeth left....the little one along the side, so she can break the dog biscuit. She struggles, but she can do it. I didn't give her anything hard until at least 6 months afterwards, then I started her off with the teeny biscuits.

Guest Tenderhearts

I always pre-softened kibble for Lori Ann in her senior years. She too came to me with horrible teeth, very little enamel left on them and a broken canine on the bottom that was dead. I always gave her canned for a couple of days after a dental/extractions.

Best wishes to Faye for speedy healing and I'm sure her poor mouth will feel better with those bad teeth gone :):hope

Yup, just soften the kibble a bit with water and she shouldn't have a problem. My boy Orion, who has barely any teeth left from his canines back, eats hard treats and soft treats without issue. He'll even have a go at a rawhide, though it takes him much longer than the others.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

What I did for my boy was to measure out how much kibble I fed him and then crushed it in the blender to kibble dust. I mixed the kibble dust with his normal amount of canned food and he ate it with no problems. This way he got the same amount of food he was used to but I didn't have to worry about him choking on kibble or waiting to feed him until it softened up. I just kept kibble dust on hand until he could eat again (he's lost quite a few teeth but still has most of his molars on one side).

greysmom ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Naples always loses teeth during dentals. This year, it was 6. For her, we soften her kibble with water for several days to a week after the dental.

A friend of mine has a 13 year old Shar Pei, who she adopted last year. He has three teeth in his head, but that does not stop him! He eats like a pro, and does not need his food softened! (His name is Wilbur, but we affectionately call him "Furniture." He rarely moves, until someone grabs car keys! :P)

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Poor Faye! Hope she recovers soon from the dental surgery. I'm sure that, once she's better, she'll find her way around to eating all right! :D

Sending kisses to her. :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Been there,done that....we have all senior hounds in our household.

They do just fine with warm water on the dry kibble and let it "soften" a couple mins before feeding it to them. We also had small amounts of canned on top for a special treat too!

:gh_lay

Soft, probably canned food until she recovers. Then she'll be able to eat regular kibble :) She will be a bit sloppy drinking and eating though :)

Sending prayers for a quick recovery!

My pretty Polli lost 17 teeth at her first dental and she too is a sloppy ( but oh so cute) eater. Sheeats kibble. She actually prefers her kibble dry!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Kerri had 22 teeth pulled last year right before I adopted her. She has no problem eating kibble. I add water to let it soften a little and she does fine. She also eats Mother Hubbard and Paul Newmans biscuts. They are hard but crumble easily. Most of her teeth that were removed were on the side and a few of the little ones in the front, she has her back teeth :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg