Please Help!

Guest atthebeach1972

Guest atthebeach1972

I have a 5 year old retired very inactive grey, (by her choice).

Anyway, I have my nieghbor take her out while I was away all day yesterday.

She ended up taking her for like a 3-4 mile walk run, in 85 degree weather.

My dog came home drooling, and panting which didnt let up for quite sometime.

Of course we watered her and cooled her down and she was fine.

But this am she went to the bathroom on the tile, and it was dark brown!! I thought It was the big D.

I let her out the back and noticed it was not coming from her butt.

I read somewhere this could happen to greys if the get over heated or over worked.

She is eating and drinking fine, but she is a little slow at getting up and is a little limpy.

She is healthy as a horse otherwise

What should I do???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's ANY chance it's heat exhaustion, I'd take her to the vet NOW!! Just to make absolutely sure...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

She may be really dehydrated. I think I'd push the water today and rehydrate her. After that long a walk, especially since she's not used to it would really dehydrate her. I also think I'd call the vet and tell them what happened and see if there is anything else you can do. I can imagine she's sore, good lord, what a work out!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mysymba

Don't have your neighbor take her for that long of walk again...keep any eye out for anything else strange and I would make a vet appointment to be cautious.....just my 2 cents worth.....

Hoping someone else who has had this experience chimes in to help....best wishes to you.....

Sounds like dehyrdration or kidney stones. Get her to a vet ASAP.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I'd get her to the vet. There are many post exercise / exhaustion complications that could be indicated by very dark urine.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Could also be exertional rhabdomyolysis. Needs treatment ASAP, and it's a classic way to get it - hard work in an unfit animal, especially on a hot day.

myoglobinuria is what causes the dark urine colouring, it's products of muscle breakdown being excreted in the urine.

It could simply be dehydration, but I'd want him checked out to make sure. Ask the vet about it particularly, it's not something they see often in pet dogs, but greyhounds do get it. It's well known among trainers.

Let us know how he does!

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest alannamac

Yes there's all sorts of blood chemistry that can go out of whack in an overexerted grey. I think blood pH is the one that can really go whacko and cause fatal results. It'd be best to get to a vet quickly. Hope your pup is feeling better soon.

Could also be exertional rhabdomyolysis. Needs treatment ASAP, and it's a classic way to get it - hard work in an unfit animal, especially on a hot day.

myoglobinuria is what causes the dark urine colouring, it's products of muscle breakdown being excreted in the urine.

It could simply be dehydration, but I'd want him checked out to make sure. Ask the vet about it particularly, it's not something they see often in pet dogs, but greyhounds do get it. It's well known among trainers.

Let us know how he does!

Agreed and if it is exertional rhabdomyolysis, it's nothing to mess with, particularly if she gets sore around the neck, saddle, belly - it can be fatal. Get to a vet. We had a dog die off a haul because of it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Let us know how he does!

Agreed and if it is exertional rhabdomyolysis, it's nothing to mess with, particularly if she gets sore around the neck, saddle, belly - it can be fatal. Get to a vet. We had a dog die off a haul because of it.

yeah, I spelled it wrong but this is what I was thinking of...

Good luck!

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

My first thought after reading your post was rhabdomyolysis which if not treated can lead to kidney failure. I went through this with Nadir when he had a bad reaction to anesthesia. I had to take him in for IV fluids everyday for about 4 days to help flush the toxins out of his system so they wouldn't damage his kidneys.

As others have said get her to a Vet immediately and tell them what you suspect. If you can collect a urine sample from her they will need that to test for the presence of my myoglobin.

Judy

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, and Bruiser

update please!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Checking in to see how your girl is doing... :sad1 Hope she's ok. Please post an update when you can!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest paulamariez

Keeping your sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers that it's something simple and quickly fixed! Please let us know that she's OK!!

Bless her heart, I hope she is feeling better! Please please if you leave her again with a neighbor tell them no long walks especially in the heat.

Edited by 4greyhounds

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter