Happy's X-rays

Xan

In my earlier thread, I described Happy's long list of possible old-lady issues (in brief: limping on both right legs, but especially the hind right, which had a broken hock some years ago; a skin rash on her sternum; a lump which turned out to be a fatty lipoma also on her sternum; corns on both left feet; and little pimple-like bumps coming and going here and there).

Today, she went in to our wonderful new vet for x-rays and a biopsy on the rash. I figured he'd just do the two legs, but when I went to pick her up, he called me into an exam room and showed me something like a dozen radiographs! :eek He didn't want to get too specific before the radiologist had a chance to go over them, but he showed me several things, at least one of which he wouldn't have seen if he'd done the 2 I had imagined.

She has some kind of over-growth or extra structure in BOTH scapulas that he thinks might be some calcification, and might explain the front leg limp (although the limp is only on the side with the smaller growth - maybe still active/more painful?). There was a "fuzziness" in the little spur bone that sticks out behind the "wrist" which might also explain that limp, possibly from a chronic tendon injury.

The back leg is interesting in that several of the tarsal bones are fusing themselves! There's some inflammation you can see in the bones, too. He says, it will hurt 'til the fusing is complete, which could be a long time. Fusing them surgically is an operation fraught with complications in dogs, and he doesn't like to consider it unless it's a last-ditch effort to save the leg.

Now for the third thing. He went looking at the spine, considering there might be some spinal complication to explain both limps, and found a mystery-thing on/in her lung.

A thing in her lung.

A non-lung thing in her lung.

:(

He said, it has what looks like "an air hole" in it, as if it might be something inflaming one air passage, and "that's better than a solid thing." He wouldn't say more until after the radiologist looked at it.

We won't know more 'til Wednesday. *CHANTING CALMLY: Eh, it's just a cheerio! She'll cough it up and be fine! Legs are just a bit stiff, nothing a little extra glucosamine won't fix! Eh, it's just a cheerio! She'll cough it up and be fine! Legs are just a bit stiff, nothing a little extra glucosamine won't fix! Eh, it's just a cheerio! She'll cough it up and be fine! Legs are just a bit stiff, nothing a little extra glucosamine won't fix! Eh, it's just a cheerio! She'll cough it up and be fine! Legs are just a bit stiff, nothing a little extra glucosamine won't fix! Eh, it's just a cheerio! She'll cough it up and be fine! Legs are just a bit stiff, nothing a little extra glucosamine won't fix! .....*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chanting and praying. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sorry Xan! All the little "miseries" add up. :( Keep us posted.

I am about to learn a lot more on that joint fusing surgery. It would be the last ditch effort, and I was told it tends to have complications. It will be a couple weeks before I start the information digging on that. But if you would like, I will let you know what I find out when I find something out.

We will think positive thoughts for Happy!

The Girls

Sorry Xan! All the little "miseries" add up. :( Keep us posted.

I am about to learn a lot more on that joint fusing surgery. It would be the last ditch effort, and I was told it tends to have complications. It will be a couple weeks before I start the information digging on that. But if you would like, I will let you know what I find out when I find something out.

We will think positive thoughts for Happy!

Thanks. Sorry you're having to look into that at all! :( I can't see us doing this with Happy, though. After the vet described a bit of what would be involved, I kept thinking about Wabi, who gets along fine on basically three legs. {There isn't an emoticon to put the right spin on that statement - something like :eek + :rolleyes: + :unsure + :P +:( } When I said as much to the vet, he agreed that dogs "really do come with three and a spare."

If you do go through with it, I wish you all the very most peaceful and medically uninteresting recovery and post-op life! :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

You know, Ace had a funny "thing" show up in her xrays of her tummy once. It was donut shaped, and Doc had me all freaked out it was some kind of cancer, but he also said it could be an air pocket, or a foreign body. He had us come home and act normal and repeat xrays 24 hours later. It must have been an air pocket because whatever "it" was, was gone the next day. Kind of makes more sense for something like that to be in the stomach, but, I wanted to share. Happy's "cheerio" could be just about anything! We will keep your sweet girl in our thoughts here...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Here's hoping somebody just sneezed on the film.

Hugs, and some scritchies for Ms. Happy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.