Lumps And Bumps And Limping

Xan

I wish I had a picture but I don't. Anyway LaceyLaine had one in the exact same spot. They did a needle aspirate and it was just fat cells and they did not remove it - just watched it. Chanting prayers your way. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting while they get time to do an aspirate of the lump. He's not so convinced that it's a fatty lipoma, and thinks it might even be something glandular, although it doesn't seem exactly connected with her mammaries. Based on the results of the aspirate, we'll know what to do about that. Hopefully. The limps are also concerning, of course. I'm going to make an appt for her to be xrayed, front and back on one side. If it's just arthritis or possibly tendonitis or something soft tissue that will require long-term NSAIDS, we'll have to be monitoring her kidney and liver function, so a blood-work-up will have to be done to get a baseline. Which will include thyroid, which might be low, which might contribute to the limps and skin issues. Anyway, lots of possibilities and no answers, yet.

Okay, gotta go get my gal, and Brilly, who gave blood for the first time today. :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Deer Missus Xan,

Imma gonna says the same thing too yoo that I sed too Miss Karen wen herb wuss nervuss... I habs a good feeling about this! And I do habs me sum feelings for Miss Happy iffin yoo waht I meen! ;)

I be seven...

My brudder he be eight...

Lil Miss Happy herb be BE-NINE!!!!!!!!!!

Herb tumor is gonna be BEEEEEE NINE!

*chatters*,

Guinn

Guinness, you goof! :lol

Well, now we wait, and continue to think positive thoughts, chant, etc.. They said I'd hear from them tomorrow afternoon about the results of the histology.

Thanks for coming along on this nasty ride with me! :bighug

I have to say, it was interesting to go into that exam room with all the experience and information I have absorbed following the stories of others here on GT. I felt properly informed to ask the right questions, make some observations, remember to mention specific things, and to understand what he was talking about. It's a valuable aspect of sharing each others' trials and tribulations; sharing all the info that might help the next one up. :blush:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Oh, I should say about the limping: He had several thoughts about limping on both right legs. He mentioned

arthritis,

tendon injury,

old injuries that just bothered her and might not get better,

the one that starts with O (but seemed less likely because of where it seemed to be, pending pinpointing with the x-ray),

TBDs,

and a couple things that simply had not occurred to me. One was spinal, like something out of whack in the neck, or two lesions affecting two areas. Later, he tentatively ruled out neck, since she shows good neck mobility without stiffness or reluctance.

The other was hypothyroidism, which, he says can present in all sorts of wacky ways, including limping and skin weirdness. She came to me with the note that she was borderline hypothyroid, was tested again and tested fine, so we stopped the meds at that point. But, she already had the limp and the skin junk, so thyroid at the level she was being dosed at didn't fix those issues.

I liked him a lot. He introduced himself, offered that I should call him by his first name, and promptly sat down on the floor, where we stayed for about an hour. He didn't seem in a hurry despite being called away for an emergency and being prompted by the reception staff for the next appt.. He listened, and took into account what I said, and seemed to have a pretty good working knowledge of what to expect for sighthounds and "track dogs", specifically. He did discount the idea of corns; "We don't really see true corns in dogs," going on to explain about their thick pads and how they adapt to the surfaces they are exposed to habitually, until I told him about Wabi's, which is quite classic.

Gawd! Look at me going on! :P I'm sort of doing this for myself, I think. Like remembering to take notes afterwards when it's still clear in my memory! But, if you read all this, thanks again!!! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest vahoundlover
:grouphug The waiting is so hard. Keeping Happy in my prayers and of course I'm still chanting The vet sounds like a really nice man. Hoping the news is good from the lump to the limp.

Yeay!! Chanting worked again!!! :bounce:confetti:bounce:confetti

The lump is a fatty lipoma after all, despite it's atypical presentation! It BE-NIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!! :confetti

She's scheduled for x-rays Monday morning (for which she'll have to skip her brekkers, which she will sorely miss! :( ) Hopefully, that will turn out to be just as dull and uninteresting as a fatty lipoma!!

Thanks for all the chants, people (and Guinness! ;) )!!!

:confetti

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest Giselle

Whoo hoo!!!

Limp schmimp! Let's hope it's just a sprain! Giselle limped for about a week, and we just "waited it out". It continued for a little longer than it should have, but lo and behold, it disappeared one day and has never returned. No weird lumps or bumps or anything out of the ordinary.

We joked that her leg must have fallen asleep what with all the weird positions in which she sleeps :lol

Edited by Giselle

told ya so :evil

:yay :yay :yay :yay

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest LindsaySF

I'm glad the lump is nothing to worry about! :yay

Her skin does look infected, hopefully they can figure it out. Is it itchy to her at all?

that lump looks very similar to the lump pokey had. coincidentally, hers was also on her sternum. the vet told me it looked to be just a fatty tumor, and wasn't too concerned about it unless it were to grow. it did grow a little, but not enough to cause concern.

fingers crossed that happy's growth is the same thing. :)

I wish I had a picture but I don't. Anyway LaceyLaine had one in the exact same spot. They did a needle aspirate and it was just fat cells and they did not remove it - just watched it. Chanting prayers your way. :grouphug

Glad you already know the bump is benign. My Marla had a lump that looked precisely like that, in precisely the same location. My vet (the most grey-savvy in the Twin Cities) was unconcerned about it. And this was at the same time we had removed several other truly ugly little skin growths. :)

He did discount the idea of corns; "We don't really see true corns in dogs," going on to explain about their thick pads and how they adapt to the surfaces they are exposed to habitually, until I told him about Wabi's, which is quite classic.

Of this I would be very skeptical. What we often call "corns" on greyhound feet may not be medically identical to a corn on a human foot, but they are growths in the foot pad tissue which can cause extreme discomfort to the dog. I've had two "corndogs" ;) who had no other joint/muscle/bone problems who would limp like crazy when walking on hard rough surfaces with those poor sore feet. The growths can be very hard to see, but once addressed, the pain goes away like magic! Have you tried something simple and temporary like putting Therapaw boots on the affected feet to see if it helps the limping? (sorry if you've already done this and I missed it)

The cough when her throat is touched rings a bell somehow... I vaguely recall my vet mentioning some things about the possibilities for this when my Marla was being seen for breathing problems. I wish I could recall what he'd said now (as it turned out for Marla, her throat was not her chief problem :( ). That's one for which I'll be interested to hear what ideas your vet has.

Oh and lastly, congrats on adopting such a lovely lucky ol' gal. Please give her a smoochie from me. :wub:

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

:yay:yay Now chanting about normal xrays!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren