Free Heath Bar, 8/22/94 - 2/8/08

Guest phoenixrizn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry for your loss. f_yellow What a beautiful tribute to a handsome boy. They grace our lives for such a short time.

Run young, healthy and free sweet boy. :gh_run

Guest lionessgrace

Rest in peace Heath and run free on the Rainbow Bridge.

Grace

Heath came to me in late 1998, after his 4-year racing career was over.

When I first saw him, I remember being amazed at what a graceful animal he was. We saw him first at the farm in Gilroy, CA where Greyhound Friends for Life had their greyhound intake. Straight off the track, he was lean and muscular--the picture of greyhound strength and speed. He was reticent to come to me or my husband. He was clearly scared in the unfamiliar situation.

We were given a choice between two of the new arrivals, Heath and another dog.

The other dog was very friendly, but Heath tugged at our hearts. There was something about him...

On the ride home to Fremont, he was terrified in the car. I sat in the back seat with him for the hour-plus ride. He was very happy to arrive at our home, strange though it was for him.

We used his crate for about a week. He had only one accident in the house, and after that week, he was house-trained for good.

He had a cursory cat-testing, but he never showed any inclination to go after any of our three cats. A couple of weeks after we got him, I took him to a friend's house for an evening. The family had two young kittens.

Tentatively, we let the kittens approach Heath. He laid in the floor on his comforter and let them literally crawl all over them while I petted him.

He never hesitated to chase squirrels in the yard, though!

It took him a few months to figure out how to play. We provided many stuffies, but he wouldn't go for them. He would tolerate me squeaking them and throwing them, but he never made any move to go after them.

Then, about a year after we got him, I caught him out in the yard, throwing a stuffy up into the air and jumping to catch it! What a beautiful sight! And when he got the zoomies...he was exuberant. He had such a broad smile!

He handled additions to the family well--in California, another greyhound, Spike, and two more cats. Each time, you could see he was not pleased to share his mom, but after a few days of "Is this one REALLY going to stay here??," he accepted each new family member without reserve.

He loved to go on long walks and hikes, and to go run with his friends.

He handled my divorce and subsequent move to the Austin, Texas area well. He accepted a new packmate, Gidget, as his playful younger sibling.

He was always the first to comfort me when things were bad--through the divorce, through the deaths of my old cats, and then my mother and finally my grandmother, he offered his services as tear-absorber. He had a lovely way of hugging me, pressing his chest into mine as hard as he could.

When my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I moved to CT for my new job, he suffered a terrible injury when we had a wreck pulling a U-Haul trailer out of Austin. My Forerunner flipped. Through some miracle, no one was critically injured. All the glass was knocked out of the truck, and Heath had a deep cut to his haunch. It took a long time to heal, but he never complained throughout his recovery. After one month in CT, we had a lovely month alone together while my boyfriend went back to TX to fix up my house to sell, and to pick up Spike and Gidget (they were left with a friend because I didn't think Heath could handle two other dogs in the back of an Outback for the long drive to CT).

I will treasure the memory of those days forever. We played together in the yard and he slept on my bed. He loved the attention. He cavorted and gamboled in the yard, smiling just like he had when he was young. It was a great time.

We moved to MA the following year, and 6 weeks later I found out I was pregnant.

Heath welcomed our daughter Avery when she arrived, and watched her grow into the beautiful 13 month-old she is now.

At Christmas, he began to limp. We though he'd torn something in his shoulder.

Then, he tore one of his back toenails completely off. He'd had some rear-end instability off and on since we lived in CT, and with his front-end limp, he probably had an accident trying to make it around the area we'd shoveled for him in our snow-covered yard.

When we took him to the vet, we noticed the lymph nodes in his neck were swollen. Needle aspirates showed lymphoma. Aspirates from his back legs showed the same.

Within a week, I was having a hard time distinguishing which leg he was limping on--front or back, left or right. Despite pain meds, he was clearly in pain.

We helped him to the bridge last Friday.

My heart is broken. He was my heart dog. I love Spike and Gidget, but Heath was so very special.

He was always such a gentleman, such a dear, sweet soul.

Run free, sweet Heath. I'll see you at the bridge.

post-8741-1202782175.jpg

:f_red Sending my sympathy on the loss of your special boy :f_red

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I'm sorry you've lost you're so special boy.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Such a beautiful eulogy for a remarkable, loving companion. I'm so sorry for your loss. :f_red

[gallery_4177_3286_2416.jpg Neighbor Mike

Inspired by Beloved Angels Danny & Mick

Custom Quilted Coats, Wallhangings & MORE

"From there to here, From here to there, Funny things are everywhere.

Especially with a greyhound in your life!

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest TriciasZoo

What a beautiful tribute. I still have yet to find the strength to write a fitting tribute for Peatie, and I lost him November 5. Sending you thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.

:cry1f_yellow:grouphug Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and moving tribute. Cherish the memories you have of Heath.....hold them close in your heart and he will always be with you.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound