Beau In Hospital--update # 80 Beau Home

RobinM

Guest KennelMom
However DH wants to know if the cloth/nylon muzzles are OK? Can they open their mouths with the cloth or only the plastic???

No no no no no no no no no, an emphatic no to the cloth muzzles for an extended period of time and NEVER on an unattended dog! And if a dog can get a basket muzzle off, they can probably get those off to. You can get a muzzle keeper from birdwell, or just run a plastic track muzzle through the headstall of the regular muzzle. Makes it virtually impossible to get the muzzle off.

eta: I guess I didn't really give a reason against the cloth muzzles - they are generally designed to be no-bite muzzles - designed to keep a dog's mouth shut. A closed mouth means they can't pant to cool themselves, drink water or expel vomit should they need to.

Edited by KennelMom

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew there was a reason why, I just did not know what to tell DH. Thanks, now he sees it.

Beau is on his way home, I will post pictures when he gets here. Gulp.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BlackandBrindle

If you muzzle one, You MUST MUZZLE ALL. Pack mentality can kick in and everyone joins together against the muzzled dog. Please, if you use muzzles, use muzzles on EVERYONE.

Oy. Beau is home. I cannot believe what he looks like. He is sedated and very mellow. Not my Beau Beau, that's for sure, but he is home. They did a wonderful job putting him back together.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.

Knowing you are not alone is so helpful. You guys "get it". Trying to explain to people at work about food aggression and why these things happen... I got looked at like I was totally crazy.

The first one is the one that is "not bad". The second one is pretty bad. My poor baby.

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

:grouphug

honestly, neither of those look very bad. I mean I don't know if there was a lot of 'inside' stitches, but there doesn't look to be any swelling or anything. I'm guessing he will heal up very nicely!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

It looks like they did a good job "putting him back together". :grouphug

If one is muzzeled they should all be muzzled, otherwise you would be leaving one dog pretty much helpless. Three or four feet is nothing to jump for a large dog. I agree I would either crate or muzzle everyone with a greyhound basket muzzle.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I agree, I thought it would look A LOT worse. Looks like they did a really good job. Poor Beau... so glad he's home, at least. I'm still keeping him (and you) in my thoughts. Here's hoping your beautiful boy heals fast. I'm sure he'll get pampered a little extra by mommy :P

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

We are going to keep seperating by a FOUR foot wall (extended ex-pen) and NO FOOD. It's the food that has been the issue here.

It happened once before when Teddy finished a bone, Beau was taking his time "nursing" it and teddy decided he wanted Beau's. Beau put up a little bit of a fight, not much but Teddy was crazy. I was in the room and was screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, he did not stop. Finally, I threw the hardcover book I was reading onto the floor where they were to startle him and it worked. Everyone was safe. That was the 1st time I had seen anything like that and we had just gotten Teddy. We realized he had to seperate him from the others.

So, now there will never be any food left when we are not home.

Kongs for all when DH gets home from work. They will adjust.

Edited by RobinM

Glad he was able to come home. As terrible as the wounds look now, he will heal with time.

Edited to add:

I agree the safest thing with a food aggressive dog in the house is to not have food unless you are there to supervise. When Survey came I spent months standing between her and the others so she wouldn't steal and cause problems. All of my black kids are like your Beau - wouldn't defend themselves no matter what was taken from them.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest Hollys2hounds

Oh Robin,

I feel bad for Beau, but these guys do heal quickly, and Beau will back to his usual self in no time. I am just so happy he can be home with you tonight!!!!!

As for your feelings about Teddy... believe me I get it, I hate when they act like dogs, don't you! ;)

But love him up tonight, he probably needs it too!!!

Prayers, and healing thoughts from New Jersey!!!!

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest houndlover

So glad that Beau is home and his wounds don't look bad at all. I was expecting much worse! Accidents happen to everyone. Thank goodness DH was home when all of this happened. My thoughts are with Beau for a speedy recovery and don't be too hard on Teddy. :grouphug

Oh Robin - I was there 18 months ago with Bookie... FWIW, I muzzle everyone when I'm not home now. It doesn't hurt them and they can't hurt each other (or the cats.) They are dogs, not people - they have few to no ethics or moral values... and things happen, things we can't predict. I use the muzzles because Rose has seizures from time to time - without the muzzles the others might kill her. When I think of all the times I left everyone here unmuzzled - her first seizure might well have been her last! Besides with Teddy's history and a new granddaughter about - I think it is way better that Teddy have a wonderful home in which he wears a muzzle from time to time - than no home at all and someone (human or hound) seriously hurt. As others have said - don't muzzle one, muzzle them all.

I am glad he is home resting with you tonight! I don't think he looks that bad either. The vets did a great job. He is a lucky boy. We will send our best quick, easy, uneventful healing thoughts your way!

By the way, we have a nylon muzzle here. It is strictly for emergency's. It does not allow the dogs to open their mouths. I got it after we lost Kona. We learned a dog in serious pain will often bite...hard! She bit through my thumb when I was trying to help her. They are not safe for extended use (but would have saved my thumb and Scott's face).

The Girls

Guest Tenderhearts

I hope he heals quickly. He's going to be very sore for a couple of days.

Lori Ann had about 6" of sutures when a drunk let his chow out the front door while Amber was walking her. He tore her flank open :(

Your Boy is sure glad to be home im sure (as are you). Psi is my food agression dog so I know the "no food" routine. They all have to eat treats infront of me (crums included) If they have a bone and I need to leave the room all bones get rounded up and returned when I get back. He has never hurt one of my pack regarding food but tore the ear off one of the foster dogs at his foster home. He is snappy but lucklly cause of rules &watching all food we have been safe. Now saying that he has torn into snowman 2x once in the car and once at home when i was not here. Both required stitches. Now they are all muzzled when I am gone. Neither of the insidents envloved food. Psi can be pushy and snow is a bit wimpy and I think that plays a part in the bites.

I just wish you the best and honestly I would consider muzzling the pack. My 3 have them on about 6 hours at a time and have no issue. Infact when I put them on they are fine. But if I put them on at a "fun run" with other greys they are stright away trying to rub them off on my leg

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest LolasMom

I'm so glad he's home with you again tonight. I too was expecting much worse. Your vet did a fantastic job! It looks like he'll be sore for a few days, poor baby. I'm hoping for a peaceful night for all and a quick and uneventful recovery. I can totally empathize with your temporary lack of "warm fuzzys" toward Teddy and can't help feeling badly for him as well. :heart

I think you mentioned the muzzle rubbing the pup's nose raw in one of your earlier posts. Have you tried soft fabric covering the plastic nose strap closest to the eye area?

I'm glad he's home and I hope you all got some sleep :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!