Prayers Desperately Needed For Chase

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

I need the power of GT. Last night after coming home from a day trip, Chase and Lu went outside as per normal and I heard a loud yelp soon after. I knew it was Chase by the sound of it and called them in.

He wouldn't stop panting last night (he's a cold dog and it's one of the coldest nights of the year) and would only lay down for 20 minutes at a time during the night until about 4 a.m. when he would only lay down for 15 seconds.

So I was at the vet's as soon as they opened at 8 determined to wait until they either had an appointment or wait until someone was late/no showed. Luckily for me, the vet keeps the first few appointments open on Mondays for over-the-weekend needs. So as soon as the vet arrived at 9, Chase and I got in.

Long story short, the results are Chase has some neurological problems that are caused from a disk that is very near to rupturing. Vet thinks Lulu ran into him and on the ice/snow his body twisted a wrong way. She says that he is right on the edge of being "very bad" and that one wrong move (jumping down from the couch, Lu trying to play, etc) and the disc could rupture... permanently paralyzing him.

So he's on strict bed rest for 3-6 weeks (and predisone and a drug to keep stomach ulcers away).

Please send some prayers that he can keep still for that long (he haaaaaaaaaaaates the crate but will have to be in it) and that he heals without becoming paralyzed.

***Update 1/23/08****

Well, Chase seems like he's not in pain anymore as he only pants now when he has to go potty (prednisone!). I also did one of the neurological tests on him that the vet did (putting his back feet on his knuckles and seeing if he rights himself... it's a reflex and he wasn't doing it before which told the vet his leg wasn't communicating with his brain properly).... and he righted the leg! :yay:

You know when dogs get wet or something and they start to shake at their head and it travels down their body and ends up going through their tail? Well, since Chase has been hurt, he hasn't been able to get it past his neck. Yesterday at noon he was able to wiggle his body and his tail just a bit. Just this morning when I brought him in from doing our walk in the backyard, he did it again and did a full shake... it was a VERY gentle shake, but he did it! :yay:

Thanks for the prayers... they seem to be working!

***Update 1/28/08****

Well, we had our one week check up and he's doing a bit better. He's able to right one of his back legs (but not the left) when they do the neuro test on and he has a little bit of a pull in his tail when they pick it up.

However, when he went from 2x/day pred to 1x/day, he started having panting episodes which is his way of dealing with the pain. The vet has decided to keep him on pred 1x/day (he was supposed to start every other day today) for another week before dropping down to every other day. She didn't want him to go back on it twice a day. I asked the vet what she thought his chances of recovering would be and she said that he has a good chance as long as he doesn't make a wrong move but that it'd be a slow process with lots of rest... so that's good.

I also spoke with her about acupuncture and she said it wouldn't help his disc because it is within the spine, but that it might help the surrounding nerves, help stop muscles spasms and help with pain. She said it certainly wouldn't hurt him and that it might help. She gave me the name of two somewhat close vets that she knows does it and with her two and the list above, I'm going to be checking them out.

Thanks for keeping him in your prayers... he still needs it.

***Update 2/7/08***

Chase had his third vet visit last night after his accident. The vet is very VERY happy with how he's progressing... especially in the last 8 days since the previous check up. She says he's a different dog now as he's alert and interested in what is going on behind the closed doors as opposed to just standing there in the room with no expression. He also now has the curl back in his tail. She said that his pain is nearly gone or totally gone and that he's getting a lot more strength back in his hind end. He does still have weakness in his left hind leg and still weakness in his tail, but they are getting better.

She did say that he might always have weakness in his back left leg but that it could still possibly fully recover.

He is supposed to have 3 more weeks of crate rest and then I can start transitioning him back to "normal." At first, he'll only be allowed to be outside alone, without Lulu. She said that by early summer, if we all want to take a walk together, he'd probably be ready for that... and then after that, he can probably play with Lulu and the new puppy.

Right now, she doesn't want to see him back in the office AT ALL unless something happens or unless I want to be reassured that he is okay to be given more freedom before I start transitioning him in 3 weeks.

I have contacted a doggie acupuncturist but think I'm going to hold off on that as the ones around here only do in-office appointments for dogs. He has also started really, really not liking the vet office (to the point of pooping in it TWICE last night) and I'd rather him remain calm right now. (He loooooves the vets and the techs... just not the place :rolleyes: )

Right after the appointment, I took Chase for a potty walk in the backyard and he tried to do zoomies on the leash... had to put a stop to that immediately. He's definitely feeling better :)

Thanks for all the prayers!

Edited by savvyprchick

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hope

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh, poor Chase! I'll be keeping him (and you) in my thoughts... :goodluck :goodluck :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending prayers for Chase. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

White light, good thoughts and hugs coming from me and Elphie.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Oh my gosh!!!!!!

sending many prayers and white light Chase's and your way!!! :hope :hope :candle :candle

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest GiJenn51

Prayers to Chase! Is there a way you can sedate if needed? IF he hates his crate-- will he hurt himself trying to get out?

Prayers for you too. I can't imagine. :hope:candle

Oh no... :( What part of his back is affected? If it's the neck, do you have a harness for leash walking/potty breaks? Keeping Chase in my prayers for full recovery. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh no! I am praying for him ....

Chase came to my home for a home visit when I adopted Rainy two years ago --- he's truly a wonderful guy.

I hope he can heal and recover quickly.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge