Jump to content

Most Likely Os In My Sweet Chance


Recommended Posts

I haven't been posting here in quite awhile, I check in quite often, but I was drawn back to this community in the past few days due to Chance's downward spiral.

 

He started with a little limp 1-1/2 weeks ago, nothing major, it was a beautiful day so we walked a little farther than usual. He'll turn 9 next week, so he's getting a little slower.

 

Anyway, the limp seemed to increase day by day and I took him to the vet on Tuesday. He did X-rays and radiographs - didn't see anything and by manipulation decided it was a sprain in the shoulder. He also did a tick test - he showed positive for exposure, so put him on antibiotics, luckily the definitive test showed negative for Lyme disease.

 

On Friday Chance seemed well, up again and following around anyone who had food. We were relieved and glad to have our boy back. Then yesterday morning I heard him cry out in pain when he got up. He was holding up the limb (right front) and seemed miserable. I took him back to the vet and he changed meds - put him on Prednisone. The vet was very concerned and said he didn't see any OS on Xray or radiograph, but that didn't mean it wasn't lurking. By the time I got Chance home he was in misery. He couldn't use the leg at all and was dragging it. Finally got him out of the car and semi on his bed. He couldn't get comfortable at all. After a couple of hours of this - with no improvement and yelping even when he took a deep breath, I called the vet. Long story short he told me to take him to emergency hospital. We got him there and they had to carry him in on a stretcher. The X-ray showed a lesion in the humerus (sp). The vet said it looked like bone erosion - definitely an abnormality - and when she touched the area he's in terrible pain. There was no way to manage the pain and send him home, so we left him there and they'll keep him comfortable. On Monday the radiologist will read the Xray again and make his best determination....if there's any question in his mind, they will do a bone biopsy.

 

So, I'm heartbroken for my sweet Chance. The thought of losing him is terrible. I suppose I will have to make a decision tomorrow - I've always said that I wouldn't go the amputation route - I've seen too many greys go through that trauma to buy them a month or two. Of course, everyone has the right to make their own decisions, and I'm sure there are dogs who have gotten some good time out of it, but none that I know of personally.

 

So anyway, please keep Chance in your thoughts and prayers; and also my sons and I. Chance has been a beloved member of our family for seven years and it's just so empty here without him. I'll keep you all updated.

 

 

Nancy

 

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish you were posting under better cirmcumstances :(

 

If he comes home for a bit, you have to combine pain meds--tramadol, neurontin & morphine is one combination, an NSAID and tramadol and/or morphine.

 

Sending lots of hugs and prayers :grouphug

 

Oh, I would be so happy if he could come home and be comfortable for awhile!! I hate the thought of his last days being spent in a cage.

 

Nancy

 

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keeping all of you in my thoughts. :grouphug

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest couchpotato

Hallie, Sorry. We are right there with you on this. Ours is on heavy pain meds right now, we have decided not to go the amputation rout either and are coming to grips with the fact it is time to let him go...

 

We are consumed by sadness over the thought of letting our hound go, and oddly comforted that we are not alone in this. We'll be thinking of you and Chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nancy, I'm so sorry. Both you and Chance are in my thoughts :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so sorry. Sending many prayers and warm white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry your boy is in the hospital and hurting. :( Sending lots of prayers and light to all of you. :hope:candle I SO hope it's not OS. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so sorry.:hope My prayers are with Chance and you and your family. :grouphug

 

As Trudy said, a bone biopsy is very painful. A good radiologist or oncologist should be able to make the diagnosis without doing a bone biopsy.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry to hear this news :(

 

I think you have to do whatever is best for the dog and only you know what that is.

 

I'm just wondering what a biopsy would offer though.

 

Thinking lots of good thoughts for you both :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

 

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TBSFlame
I haven't been posting here in quite awhile, I check in quite often, but I was drawn back to this community in the past few days due to Chance's downward spiral.

 

He started with a little limp 1-1/2 weeks ago, nothing major, it was a beautiful day so we walked a little farther than usual. He'll turn 9 next week, so he's getting a little slower.

 

Anyway, the limp seemed to increase day by day and I took him to the vet on Tuesday. He did X-rays and radiographs - didn't see anything and by manipulation decided it was a sprain in the shoulder. He also did a tick test - he showed positive for exposure, so put him on antibiotics, luckily the definitive test showed negative for Lyme disease.

 

On Friday Chance seemed well, up again and following around anyone who had food. We were relieved and glad to have our boy back. Then yesterday morning I heard him cry out in pain when he got up. He was holding up the limb (right front) and seemed miserable. I took him back to the vet and he changed meds - put him on Prednisone. The vet was very concerned and said he didn't see any OS on Xray or radiograph, but that didn't mean it wasn't lurking. By the time I got Chance home he was in misery. He couldn't use the leg at all and was dragging it. Finally got him out of the car and semi on his bed. He couldn't get comfortable at all. After a couple of hours of this - with no improvement and yelping even when he took a deep breath, I called the vet. Long story short he told me to take him to emergency hospital. We got him there and they had to carry him in on a stretcher. The X-ray showed a lesion in the humerus (sp). The vet said it looked like bone erosion - definitely an abnormality - and when she touched the area he's in terrible pain. There was no way to manage the pain and send him home, so we left him there and they'll keep him comfortable. On Monday the radiologist will read the Xray again and make his best determination....if there's any question in his mind, they will do a bone biopsy.

 

So, I'm heartbroken for my sweet Chance. The thought of losing him is terrible. I suppose I will have to make a decision tomorrow - I've always said that I wouldn't go the amputation route - I've seen too many greys go through that trauma to buy them a month or two. Of course, everyone has the right to make their own decisions, and I'm sure there are dogs who have gotten some good time out of it, but none that I know of personally.

 

So anyway, please keep Chance in your thoughts and prayers; and also my sons and I. Chance has been a beloved member of our family for seven years and it's just so empty here without him. I'll keep you all updated.

 

 

If the leg is not broken you should be able to get the pain under control. Now that I have gotten Beecher pain under control he is doing well. When the Tramadol and Dermaxx is no longer doing it we will go to morphine. I know I don't have much time but I am thankful for this pain free time together. My prayers and thoughts are with you during this difficult time. I did do a biopsy, but Beecher tumor is on his rib and easy to get a biopsy. I have heard the biopsy on the leg is painful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...