Most Likely Os In My Sweet Chance

Hallie

I'm so sorry. I really hope it turns out not to be OS. Sending hugs and keeping you and Chance in my thoughts. :sad1:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest luvRgreys

So sorry for Chance and you and your family. Have gone through this with 2 if my greys and it is so difficult. Dr. Suzanne Stack has said the os is the most painful of cancers. You will know when and what you need to do. Everyone has to make the decision for their pets and it isn't easy. My heart is hurting for you. You are in my prayers.

I am so sorry, another heartbreaking story. Prayers for you and Chance.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thank you all so much for your support and words of comfort. I spoke with the doctor on duty today and she said that they have Chance on heavy pain meds: IV drip and a patch. She said he was putting some weight on the leg and they'd had him out for bathroom. They hope the patch alone will make him comfortable enough to come home, but something about it only lasting a couple of days. She also said that a surgeon happened to stop in the hospital today and they had him look at the X-ray and he seemed to confirm their suspicions.

Thanks Trudy for mentioning the painful bone biopsy. I just put a call into the hospital and I'm going to tell them that I really don't want them to do it unless it is absolutely necessary. They did tell me they would do it under general anesthesia, so I don't know if the pain is in the doing or afterwards. My poor boy has had enough pain in the last few days - I certainly don't want to add to it if it's not necessary.

I just can't seem to wrap my mind around this. We were planning to celebrate his 9th birthday on Wednesday 1/23. :crying

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Guest HeatherDemps

I think the painful part with the biopsy comes after the anesthesia wears off. You can ask them about doing a fine needle aspirate instead. You run the risk though of not getting a diagnostic sample. If the x-rays are digital, you can have them email them to Dr. Couto at Ohio State University. He and the staff there were very willing to give my vet a second opinion on the x-rays- sometimes those alone are enough to diagnosis.

Thank you all so much for your support and words of comfort. I spoke with the doctor on duty today and she said that they have Chance on heavy pain meds: IV drip and a patch. She said he was putting some weight on the leg and they'd had him out for bathroom. They hope the patch alone will make him comfortable enough to come home, but something about it only lasting a couple of days. She also said that a surgeon happened to stop in the hospital today and they had him look at the X-ray and he seemed to confirm their suspicions.

Thanks Trudy for mentioning the painful bone biopsy. I just put a call into the hospital and I'm going to tell them that I really don't want them to do it unless it is absolutely necessary. They did tell me they would do it under general anesthesia, so I don't know if the pain is in the doing or afterwards. My poor boy has had enough pain in the last few days - I certainly don't want to add to it if it's not necessary.

I just can't seem to wrap my mind around this. We were planning to celebrate his 9th birthday on Wednesday 1/23. :crying

Im too am sorry you are going thru this. I ditto all above bout bone biopsy I know those who have chosen it and will Never do it again. I hope your boy is able to come home to you . Snowman one of my greys is dealing with OS right now. He has not walked on leg for 4 weeks and swelling is increasing but we are able to keep him comfortable with Tramadol and Dermaxx, when it is no longer doing the job I will go to morphine as well. Hugs to you

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

I'm so sorry you've gotten this devastating news. It brought back so vividly the feelings that overwhelmed us right after that dreaded diagnosis. I think it is the most difficult time because you're not sure of what to do, and those alternatives, as well as the well being of your precious boy, just consume your every thought. Since each dog and situation is different, I couldn't say that anything is right or wrong. You just have to do what you feel in your heart is right for Chance and for you. Even though amputation doesn't always buy a lot of time, it does eliminate that excruciating pain of an osteo tumor, and the chance that the bone will shatter. That was what we hoped for with Winnie, and she was with us for 3 1/2 years!

Your family and your sweet Chance will be in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so very sorry.....my pups x rays weren't conclusive.....I decided to do the needle aspirate instead of the bone biopsy. I knew the aspirate might not show conclusive evidence.....but I heard that the bone biopsy potentially could break an already weakened leg. I asked the Vet to get a really really good sample. My questions were answered.

There were no good options...you will make the right decision.

My thoughts are with you and your sweet Chance.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
They did tell me they would do it under general anesthesia, so I don't know if the pain is in the doing or afterwards.

The pain is afterwards. My Alex had it and I had him on the max dose of Tramadol, Rimadyl and Neurotin to keep him comfortable. Then we had to wait for the results before scheduling the surgery. If you can tell from the xrays, skip the biopsy. I will never do the core bone biopsy again.

I spoke with the vet last night and told her I did not want the bone biopsy if at all possible. She said they would mostly consider doing it if the radiologist was unsure of diagnosis and/or I was going to treat the cancer aggressively and amputate limb, etc. which I don't intend to do. She also said it was a procedure they would not do without calling me first.

It also occurred to me that when I took him to my regular vet on Saturday, I told him I thought his wrist looked swollen. The vet bent it and moved it around and it made a really loud crack. The vet and I both looked at each other in surprise. Chance didn't cry out at that time or show any pain, but after that Chance's pain level went sky-high. So now I'm wondering if there wasn't cancer in the wrist and maybe the vet inadvertently broke the bone. I asked the vet at the ER last night to Xray that today.

I'm supposed to call between 10-12 today to get the radiologists diagnosis and see how he's doing on patch. I so hope I can bring him home for awhile!! :clover:candle:hope

Hallie, Sorry. We are right there with you on this. Ours is on heavy pain meds right now, we have decided not to go the amputation rout either and are coming to grips with the fact it is time to let him go...

We are consumed by sadness over the thought of letting our hound go, and oddly comforted that we are not alone in this. We'll be thinking of you and Chance.

Couchpotato - I'm so very sorry that you are going through this too. It feels like a bad dream that I can't wake up from - my wishes for peaceful and sweet days remaining. :grouphug

Nancy

I just spoke with the vet this morning and he said Chance is doing very well on the pain patch. He's putting weight on the leg and seems comfortable. They are going to do a couple more X-rays to help confirm diagnosis. They will not do the bone biopsy, but I gave permission for the fine needle aspirate if absolutely necessary. Best news is that he said he can come home this afternoon!! I'm so happy for him and for us. I did ask about prognosis, and he said probably about a month or so. I will treasure every, single day.

Thank you all again for your love, support and wealth of knowledge. You're awesome! :kiss2

Nancy