Gifts Wishes Desires Etc

Trudy

Ok, I haven't participated in the GT secret santa in a long time since I've been organizing it for a few years since it got so darn big. I'll send out gifts if somebody didn't get something or it seems they didn't really get a "real" gift (only had that happen once a couple of years ago).

This year I decided to enter Jet and Ryan - even though I can see who will be sending to me when I do the matches. So the secret isn't so secret, but should still be fun (sorry to the person that got us, I hope you don't mind).

But, what sort of gifts are you hoping will show up in your mail boxes? For your dogs or yourself?

Or what kind of 'neat' things are you sending

This may be the last year Ryan is with us for Christmas, if he acutally makes it that long (I'm an optimist (usually realist, but making an exception for my baby) so I entered them both), so I want it to be special for the person we received. So I'm looking for ideas of what "out of the ordenary" things people may be including beyond what people suggest they'd like. And besides, it isn't like I do this with GT at all (though I do participate with another board when we do SS there).

i always like it when i receive local things that i can't get here, like a certain brand of chocolate or a regional delicacy or souvenir. i also love receiving home made things, such as cookies and doggie cookies, cards, etc.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

This is my 1st year participating. I signed up Celeste and Darcy separately. I'm hoping that their Secret Santa's will focus on them and not me. I really want this to be about the dogs. I enjoy surprises, so I tried to leave things pretty open ended. I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever their Secret Santa's get us.

I'm getting our matches some of our grey girls favorite items. I know how much my girls like these things, so I hope the greys they are going to enjoy them too.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest charmsmom

This is my first year participating, too, so I will be happy with whatever my people decide to send. GT people are always wonderful, and I just think this is a greyt idea. I love to spoil my hounds, so I'd love to spoil other people's hounds. Exotic gifts are always interesting as long as they're practical. I want to be able to USE what I get for the hounds. :)

Guest Kpparker

I'd just like things for the pups really - treats, collars, clothes, stuffies.... but anything is going to be awesome since it's my first time!!!

I participated with Oscar and had loads of fun putting together my gifts. For Dee, I can't really say since I don't know her yet, but I'm sure she appreciates the things most greyhounds do. As for personaly gifts, I do enjoy finding something in there for me. I tend not to get gifts from many people, so I always enjoy a surprise for me. but it's not a must as I"m not disappointed if I don't.

I so want to warn all SS in the US who are sending to Canada - the post office has a huge backlog since Canadians have really begun to shop on-line now that our dollar is stronger in Canada than in the US. They are warning of delays in package deliveries because of this increase in mail shopping. Of course, it's not like they're all that timely to begin with!

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest kgildea

Honestly, I just love surprises. No need to send anything for the humans, just cute, frivolous things for the pups! We could actually use some winter gear like shirts or jammies.... but really, we love anything that makes us giggle! (And we are very easily entertained!!! :lol )

We've never had anything in any of our SS parcels that we didn't like. For the dogs, there have been toys of all varieties and also treats of all types. These always go down well because they tend to be things that we can't get at home and therefore the dogs have never had them before. We've had fleecy blankets and necklaces and we've had a mug and ornaments for the tree and candies (for the humans!) and again, all different things that we can't get at home.

The parcels that I send out tend to be 90% for the dogs and then a token something for the human.

This year is a bit strange for us (with Darcy) as it is for you with Ryan. As yet, I've not had time to organise and send my parcels out but I know I must do it within the next few days as they are going overseas.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest greyhound1

This is my first year. Mainly thinking of Brenda. Stuffies, pj's, collars or anything. I like chocalate or something small to hang on the tree. At my age, tired of dusting. :lol

Guest weycoolgrey

I know that my pups will love anything they get! If my Secret Santa's include something for humans, I think it would be cool to get something regional from the sender.

I have always enjoyed the fact that our past Secret Santas have always put in something special for me too. I love the idea of receiving something special that is regional to their area. Last year our Secret Santa spoiled us all the way from Hawaii & I was delighted with the chocolate covered macadamia (sp?) nuts that were tucked inside the package for me to enjoy. (And absolutely blown away at what Rainy received!!)

I've always done the same - sent packages that were 80% full of things for the hound(s), and I try to tuck in a little something extra for "mom". :Peace

Secret Santa along with the Greytalk Christmas card exchange are the high points of my Holiday season, since all of my family live out of state.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest greybookends

The hounds are happy with whatever they get. I don't expect anything in the package for me but I must say that the things I have enjoyed the most were the blank cards, notepads and all the little soaps, I really like the notepads and soaps. I have never been disappointed with any package no matter how much it looks like was spent. Someone took the time to put it together and had fun doing so and that is what matters. Some people can spend more and do so, some can't. Don't feel bad about what you send, I am a FIRM believer in " It is the thought that counts". :xmas

I too love the idea of something local to my SS's area as well, but we will be happy with anything that we get. I'm also more into the dogs getting gifts than me, especially since I did my two together since this is my first year, but hey, I'm not going to complain if there's something thrown in for me. :blush

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest gapeach1

My houndies are just so excited to see a box coming and know that it's for them. What an exciting time!! This will be the first time our Pookie has ever had a Christmas since we adopted her on Father's Day weekend. She was returned once although we weren't given any information why. One of our boys was a baby AKC grey, who is turning two on the 7th of November, and our oldest willbe 7 1/2 at Christmas at Christmas--he was returned twice, his former owners said he was too much work!! Bullet and Murphy have been together since we got them, just a day apart. They love packages and the excitement!! This is our first GT Christmas!!

GAPeach1

I always like to include a mini portrait of at least one of the dogs I'm matched with. I need to get working on this year's painting . . .! :colgate We aren't terribly picky in our house-the pups love toys, treats, collars, etc. Last year my awesome SS sent us a piece of greyhound art which was very cool! SS is fun no matter what! :colgate

This is our first SS also. I think that anything for the pups is good: Jammies, treats, collars, stuffies, etc. anything really. Sterling is a white and fawn boy at 70 lbs or so. Kelsey is a petite girl at 57 lbs and is white with brindle patches. I like anything. :snow

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest needlenoselover

Well, I know I am going to concentrate on the pupper I got, with a little something thrown in for the mommy! I think it should be about the dogs. Us humans get enough crud for the holidays as it is. Stuff we don't need, pounds we don't want!! :)

I know my pups have been absolutely spoiled-- I don't mind if there aren't any 'human' items, since it's really about the dogs. Besides, it's always a blast to see the dogs have fun with their secret santa gifts! :lol

I usually try to send things like a collar, a stuffie or two, some treats, etc. It in part depends on what I find. :) If I am sending to someone far away, I might try to add in something 'local', but sometimes I'm sending an item one state over, so then the "local" is a moot point. :lol I also usually hope to get someone who has signed up only one or two pups... it's really hard to find the time to make 6 extra collars! :blush But I also wouldn't want to send just one and leave everyone out, so when that's happened, I've done my best to make sure everyone gets one! One year I got sick and didn't have time, and it was Burpdog to the rescue, I did a couple of her gift baskets with the stuffy. This year is super easy-- all single hounds signed up, and one is a Hound + Kitty, so I get to go kitty toy shopping for the first time! :colgate

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest DoofBert

Local things... stuff that tells me about the sender and their family.......

I really love an ornament that we received last year.... photo of my original 3 Pocono Black Pack embossed on the ceramic...

Homemade things...I received homemade picture frames/hand decorated picture frames in past gift exchanges... always special...

It's fun to see what the hounds get... we aren't picky...I remember that Bert received a box of Burpdogs... I let him sniff the USPS shipping box and he grabbed it... he would NOT let go!!! It was hoot.

Edited by DoofBert

Mimi would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have a certain Christmas collar from NancyB. It's called Festive Trees (green). OK so Mimi really doesn't care, but her Mom would love to see her in that one!

Mimosa has NancyB's Wreaths collar that her SS chose for her last year and it looks stunning on her.

Both Mimi and Mimosa love cookies and stuffies. ( I hate any stuffie that giggles.)

I'm a little weirded out over pizzle sticks and still haven't given them last years' pizzley gift....

I'm with Doofbert, I like to get things from the sender's hometown. Last year we got some great cookies from a local dog bakery. They got 8 paws up!

Notepads and greyhoundy gifty stuff.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Seeing all these posts about wanting something "local" got me thinking about what local thing I could add to my SS gifts... I asked DH and he suggested one of those cheap Washington Monument or White House metal or plastic things sold by at all of the tourist shops. I really doubt anyone wants one of those. Honestly, other than the touristy crap I can't think of anything "local" that someone would really want from Washington, DC.

Seeing all these posts about wanting something "local" got me thinking about what local thing I could add to my SS gifts... I asked DH and he suggested one of those cheap Washington Monument or White House metal or plastic things sold by at all of the tourist shops. I really doubt anyone wants one of those. Honestly, other than the touristy crap I can't think of anything "local" that someone would really want from Washington, DC.

touristy stuff is good too! I personally would love to get stuff from DC -- pen, snowglobe, ornament, heck -- even a postcard depicting national monuments or other items from our nation's history would be great!

Also, you could see if there are stores that are popular in your area that are not in your recipient's area. For instance, we don't have Tim Horton's coffee here. I've never tried it. It would be great to get a sample....

Edited by mimosasmom

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

touristy stuff is good too! I personally would love to get stuff from DC -- pen, snowglobe, ornament, heck -- even a postcard depicting national monuments or other items from our nation's history would be great!

Also, you could see if there are stores that are popular in your area that are not in your recipient's area. For instance, we don't have Tim Horton's coffee here. I've never tried it. It would be great to get a sample....

OK then... I guess it's time to hit up the touristy crap shop. :lol I can't think of any "unique" food item sold only in Washington DC. We have the same chains that everyone else has.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I have always been overwhelmed by the amazing gifts that I've gotten for Secret Exchanges.

This year I'm sending a matted greyhound print (I think it's a pencil drawing actually) that I've had for almost a year now, for especially this reason :P

I love homemade gifts. I think they are fun.

I used to do 'comic books' for my secret santas, but time is always an issue. And the program I used is no longer on my computer...

Of course, my secret santa will get lots of goodies from some of my favorite vendors too :)

Having said all that, I just want to reiterate that it is not necessary to be extravagant. Whoever you are, you don't have to include anything for me. I won't be offended :) Of course, if you want to, I won't be offended either ;)