Update On Cricket

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really thinking of you and sending many positive thoughts :grouphug:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thinking of you and your Cricket this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update: Cricket is ok, but no dramatic changes yet. :( She is able to walk a very short distance but she still isn't stable. Her bowel control is better and bladder control also better, although having the towel pressing on her bladder doesn't help at times. It makes for interesting times when her pee still has some chemo residue. My washing machine/drier have been running non-stop since we came home.

She had a very restless night. We tried to put her on a cushion in an x-pen near the front door and in the doorway of the family room where Aero and Roo, my daughter and I were watching tv. My daughter had been sitting next to her with the "gate" of the x-pen open and thinking Cricket would stay put, had moved to the couch. It didn't take long before Cricket decided to to walk into the family room and go to her usual spot near little Roo. Although it wasn't the most stable/straight walk, she did manage it. I slept on the pullout couch and I think she must have shifted from one cushion to another over the course of three hours, with a potty break in between. After the anesthesia I expected her to be groggy. I think she was very excited and happy to be home.

I'm encouraged by her determination and the small steps she's taken. I think the neurologist wants to see a dramatic turnaround in the next few days in order to consider the chemo successful. I'm afraid to get my hopes up because I think he isn't holding out too much hope.

They've added Pepsid, Flagyl, and Carafate, as well as Baytril since her running nose has returned. They noticed some blood in her stool, but I looked at her stool today and it didn't seem to have any blood in it.

Cricket's appetite is great and she will be getting chicken breast and white rice for dinner. I think she's really happy to be home. Keep praying that she gains more coordination. If she doesn't this is going to be an agonizing decision trying to decide what to do.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest Tenderhearts
I'm encouraged by her determination and the small steps she's taken. I think the neurologist wants to see a dramatic turnaround in the next few days in order to consider the chemo successful. I'm afraid to get my hopes up because I think he isn't holding out too much hope.

What a roller coaster :( I completely understand your being afraid to get your hopes up, but I know personally I'd be hanging on to the determination you see in her :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I see positive signs with the things like better bladder control :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Sending gentle hugs and many prayers. I'm glad she's home with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending more prayers and kisses to your baby girl. :hope:kiss2 So glad she's home and seems happy. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm glad to hear that she is home. I understand the rollercoaster ride you are on. I hope you see improvements over the next few days. Keeping Cricket in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Sending more prayers. I am so happy that your little girl is home. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

More good thoughts coming from us :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Zeushounds

That is great that she is home and making progress! One step at a time!

We were in a similar situation a couple years ago with a new puppy and our eldest diagnosed with cancer. I know how trying just one matter can be, never mind two at the same time. Just keep the faith and remember your GT family is with you!!!

Hugs, kisses and lots of prayers for Cricket and your family.

Well another day has passed, and it hasn't been the best. :cry1 Cricket isn't gaining that much more coordination. This afternoon I left her in the sunroom with a marrow bone while I took Aero and Roo for a walk, and when we came home she had fallen on the floor trying to get into the family room. I don't know how long she was stuck lying there but it broke my heart. We weren't gone for much longer than an hour and I really thought that she'd be busy with the bone and not be interested in getting up from the cushion.

I spent a good part of this afternoon trying not to cry. I love this girl. She has the prettiest sweetest face that just lights up when you are in the room with her. It breaks my heart. I can look at her body and it's a shell of what it once was. When we got Cricket she was an incredibly strong, muscular girl who didn't fear anything. Now her muscles in her legs, especially rear have atrophied. I have walked her every day to keep up her strength, but it seems like this last stretch of time really wiped her out. being in a crate at the hospital didn't help, but the few days leading to her chemo weren't the best and she really couldn't walk.

I watch her face light up when she watches little Roo and it breaks my heart that she might not be here to see Roo grow up.

I am completely devastated that I am going to have to say goodbye to another dog at such a young age. I can't even begin to imagine how this is going to rip out the heart of my daughter, who has a special bond with Cricket. But in my heart I think I know that this is not the best of life for my beautiful fawn girlie. It'd be an easier decision to make if she was in pain, but I guess quality of life counts too. Intellectually I know that we've been lucky to have had her for so long after the onset of this.

Has anyone else had to make such an agonizing decision? It seems as if the neurologist is telling me that there isn't much left to do and it's a quality of life issue. Are we being selfish to keep her alive at this point? She loves treats and meals and hugs and being with us still.

The only consolation is that maybe her sister Snickers will meet her at the bridge and they'll be able to run together again.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I can imagine -- but only just -- what you are going through.

Depending on what your neurologist is telling you, if she can be kept comfy you might give it a few more days and see how she does. If she can't be kept comfy or if you are seeing a significant decline, that is something else.

Sending hugs and more hugs.