Update On Cricket

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LolasMom

Trust yourself. I know that you will do the best thing for Cricket and your family.

These are always the hardest decisions we have to make one way or the other.

My heart and my prayers go out to you, your family and your precious girl. :grouphug

Edited by LolasMom

Just thinking of you and your girlie this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Today Cricket is a little better. I heard from her neurologist and her spinal tap was pretty much the same as it was 14 months ago. So all the signs point to an autoimmune disease -- at least not cancer. Right after I spoke with him and said that she wasn't doing so well, I held a treat up and she stood up and walked toward me (for a turkey/duck jerky treat of course. ) I also made her walk (towel assisted) a bit in the yard by tossing treats a few feet in front of her so she would go forward -- we made it from the front to the back and then another few hundred feet and back. Thankfully she is such a big food hound. After Speaking with neurologist, she doesn't sound too far off, although ideally she'd be walking for greater stretches without trouble.

The neurologist suggested PT -- swimming -- and I gave them a call. Last year when all this started I walked her religiously and it really helped her. I think she has to come a little further along before I'm able to do that so the PT sounds like a great way to get her to that point.

I feel like a manic-depressive and I'm sure I sound like one too. This has been a very emotional week and I've had little sleep and I feel really drained. Thanks for all the prayers and support.

Here's a photo of Miss Cricket (shaved head and all from the spinal tap) in her Halloween candy corn collar.

RooinearlyOctober366.jpg

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest jurishound

I'm sorry - I may not have read all the posts on this thread carefully - but is there a reason why she can't be on pred as an immunosuppressant?

I'm sorry - I may not have read all the posts on this thread carefully - but is there a reason why she can't be on pred as an immunosuppressant?

That's okay -- there's a lot of stuff to read. Cricket has been on pred since August of 2006. However, it's not helping her at this point and she's getting some negative reactions to it -- thin skin, muscle atrophy, etc..

The neurologist also suggested trying another chemo drug Lomustine. But I think at this point I think I'll see how she does over the next few days.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest jurishound

I know how frustrating and difficult this is - our own Crickie developed what is believed to have been an autoimmune vascular disease - although we will never really know for sure - and I desperately searched for answers, never really trusting that the vets were doing enough. I do think the thyroid issue is worth looking into, as our Crickie was found - too late I believe - to have developed hypothyroidism. It is possible that the hypothyroidism triggered the autoimmune illness, but we will never have that answer. Very best wishes to you and your lovely sweet Cricket.

Guest Zeushounds

Miss Cricket looks great sporting her Halloween attire! I am so glad she is doing better. :yay

I don't know if your are familiar with Doctors Foster and Smith catalog (DrsFosterSmith.com). They have some great products to assist Cricket and you in getting around-if you are in the market for such. If you are looking for swimming facilities for Cricket, our vet has a great rehab facility, Sterling Impressions (www.windhoverveterinarycenter.com), although they are in Walpole, MA. They have a pool as well as hydrotherapy(treadmill in water), acupuncture, reiki, etc... They are also a wonderful group of people! There is also another one I know of in Waltham, Aquadog, that has swimming. The only other one I have heard of is in NH, I beleive in the Manchester area.

I am so happy to hear things are looking better today! I am keeping my hopes up. And maybe when that day comes when Cricket is all better we can meet at The Barking Dog for some fun pooltime! :ghplaybow

Today Cricket is a little better. I heard from her neurologist and her spinal tap was pretty much the same as it was 14 months ago. So all the signs point to an autoimmune disease -- at least not cancer. Right after I spoke with him and said that she wasn't doing so well, I held a treat up and she stood up and walked toward me (for a turkey/duck jerky treat of course. ) I also made her walk (towel assisted) a bit in the yard by tossing treats a few feet in front of her so she would go forward -- we made it from the front to the back and then another few hundred feet and back. Thankfully she is such a big food hound. After Speaking with neurologist, she doesn't sound too far off, although ideally she'd be walking for greater stretches without trouble.

The neurologist suggested PT -- swimming -- and I gave them a call. Last year when all this started I walked her religiously and it really helped her. I think she has to come a little further along before I'm able to do that so the PT sounds like a great way to get her to that point.

I feel like a manic-depressive and I'm sure I sound like one too. This has been a very emotional week and I've had little sleep and I feel really drained. Thanks for all the prayers and support.

Here's a photo of Miss Cricket (shaved head and all from the spinal tap) in her Halloween candy corn collar.

RooinearlyOctober366.jpg

Awww....such a pretty girl. Know that my prayers and gentle hugs are coming your way sweetie. These emotional roller coaster rides are so hard aren't they? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

If you can get her into a swimming facility, I bet that would help enormously. Big hugs to you and Cricket :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Many prayers to you and Cricket, I just read most of the story and wanted to add my encouragement, one of my greys, Sara was dignosed w/GME @ the Ma. Vet Referral Hospital in Woburn in March of this year and she is still having cytarabine injections, she was on the prednisone and phenabarbitol for 6 months. She is doing great, may be ending the cytarbine and hoping the symptoms don't return as GME is not curable. I think I may have run into you when you were coming in w/Snickers and I was leaving w/Sara. I know how painful it is to go throught the emotional roller coaster ride, it's o.k. to feel crazy, hang in there!! Love the candy corn clollar.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Many prayers to you and Cricket, I just read most of the story and wanted to add my encouragement, one of my greys, Sara was dignosed w/GME @ the Ma. Vet Referral Hospital in Woburn in March of this year and she is still having cytarabine injections, she was on the prednisone and phenabarbitol for 6 months. She is doing great, may be ending the cytarbine and hoping the symptoms don't return as GME is not curable. I think I may have run into you when you were coming in w/Snickers and I was leaving w/Sara. I know how painful it is to go throught the emotional roller coaster ride, it's o.k. to feel crazy, hang in there!! Love the candy corn clollar.

I do remember meeting you while I was there freaking out when Snickers's remaining front leg was seeping blood. Not my best moment. Usually I am a little calmer. We ended up losing Snickers just before her fourth chemo -- either a seizure or a blood clot. I have been at the vet referral hospital a little too often this year. It sounds like Dr. Troxel thinks it's something like GME because the spinal tap didn't show any signs of cancer. It's been five days since the cytarabine and Cricket is a little better, still very wobbly. Did it take your Sara a long time to bounce back? How old is she? Cricket doesn't have seizures, and the inflamed areas were only in her spinal cord as far as what was visible on the second MRI. I am feeling a little more hopeful today. When I went to take Aero and Kanga Roo for a walk today, Cricket stood up and came to me as if she was going too, but then she fell. I am going to take her to her favorite place where the squirrels run all over the pathway soon. I bet it would really boost her mood.

How is your Sara doing now? I just made an appointment for swimming so Cricket can build up her muscles and strength again. The prednisone really wastes her muscles and it's been well over a week with very little activity. Who is Sara's doctor? Cricket's is Dr. Troxel, who has been great. I was really impressed at how sweet the vet techs were to Cricket when she stayed there overnight.

Do you drive to Woburn for the cytarabine injections? I guess you have the option of administering them at home too, but I was a little leary of my ability to do it right.

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Edited by Aerosmom

Miss Cricket looks great sporting her Halloween attire! I am so glad she is doing better. :yay

I don't know if your are familiar with Doctors Foster and Smith catalog (DrsFosterSmith.com). They have some great products to assist Cricket and you in getting around-if you are in the market for such. If you are looking for swimming facilities for Cricket, our vet has a great rehab facility, Sterling Impressions (www.windhoverveterinarycenter.com), although they are in Walpole, MA. They have a pool as well as hydrotherapy(treadmill in water), acupuncture, reiki, etc... They are also a wonderful group of people! There is also another one I know of in Waltham, Aquadog, that has swimming. The only other one I have heard of is in NH, I beleive in the Manchester area.

I am so happy to hear things are looking better today! I am keeping my hopes up. And maybe when that day comes when Cricket is all better we can meet at The Barking Dog for some fun pooltime! :ghplaybow

Thanks for the tips. I actually just got a Doctors Foster and Smith catalog (with a $5 coupon too :colgate ), so I'll sift through it when I have a chance to sit. Cricket is now booked for a swimming therapy session in a little over a week. She'll be at the Mass Vet Referral Hospital in Woburn.

I really appreciate all the positive comments. It's so hard to stay positive when your emotions are all over the place with every little bit of news/feedback. Cricket is in good spirits today. Right now she's chomping on a bone. She is going to be a spoiled diva very soon, but if all this helps her, it's worth it. She's a very special girl and has been so brave and determined. Thanks!

Guest Tenderhearts

I can so understand feeling totally drained and on such a roller coaster with the emotions.

The PT sounds like a good idea, and bless her heart, it seems she's trying so hard!

She is just a doll, shaved areas and all!

Warmest of hugs to both of you from Kansas! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Oh my God! Cricket just got up and walked from our family room, into the foyer (slippery tile floor and a corner), through the dining room (another corner) and onto her cushion in the sunroom -- probably about 40 feet! Alone, unassisted and without falling or sliding at all. I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!! :yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:confetti:confetti:bounce1:clap:bounce:banana

I can't believe it. I was in the depths of despair yesterday because she was doing so poorly and now we have some real progress. I'll have to give her doctor a call tomorrow and let him know that she did that. I think he wanted to see some sign that the chemo might have worked. I hope we continue to see more independent walking!!!!

I think I'll sleep better tonight.

Keep those GT prayers coming! They seem to be working some magic! :couchjump:couchjump

Dancing on the ceiling with you!

Try not to get too down if she has some "one step forward, one step back" days. Neuro things are hard, and you never quite know when things are going to stabilize.

Sending many hugs, and some smiles and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Woo hoooo! You go Cricket! :yay:yay Batmom is right... keep your spirits up with her ups and downs. Neuro problems are hard to get a handle on and vary so much. Your girlie has a strong will to live and is a courageous fighter. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Zeushounds

Yahoo Cricket!!!!! You go Girl!

MVRH in Woburn is great in my book. I did not know they had water therapy there-good to know. They have expanded quite a lot since they first opened. Thankfully it has been a while since I have had to visit them. But there was a time when due to a very accident prone puppy(our 1st), Harry, we were there so much they knew him by name when we walked in the door! Ironically his sisters' name is also Cricket!

Sending some reiki your way Cricket. Keep up the great progress!!!!