Are You Dog's Microchipped?

Our groups picnic was today and they were doing Microchipping. I meant to ask about it but by the time I did they had packed up and left. Are your hounds/dogs microchipped? What is involved? Will the chip stay in place? Any thoughts, experiences you have would be great.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Paul came with a chip and last year I had the other two chipped since we do travel with them. We have a trailer and they usually respect the door, but I would rather that they could be identified if something out of the ordinary would happen.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

All 3 of mine are chipped. Sirocco & Nikki were done at the local GPA picnic a few years ago. They never even flinched when the chips were injected. Yukon was chipped by Team Greyhound before we got him.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Yes, not much is involved. Out adoption group does it. It's s pin prick and I have never seen a dog GSOD over it. It's permanently there and it's just another way of protecting them.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

After Giselle ran away and was found later, I went out the next business day and microchipped her. My dobe was already microchipped because the clinic had a rabies/chip special. (That sounds horrible :P) So yes, my dogs are microchipped and every future dog of mine will be microchipped.

It's a very simple process: The microchip is injected under the dog's skin in the shoulder blade area. The dog is scanned again to see if the chip is there, and the place that chips your dog usually doesn't register him for you. However, some low-cost mobile clinics do register for you, as mine did. If not, though, you'll have to register your dog with the company. Otherwise, the chip is just a bunch of numbers. The chip should stay in place, but traveling chips are not unheard of. That's why shelters and vets will scan all over your dog's body to check for the presence of a chip.

Edited by Giselle

Guest StriderDog

Strider did the GSOD when the put it in, but he's a drama queen, so I'm pretty sure it didn't hurt all that bad - and I'm certain that he doesn't remember it 3 years later. :nod

Guest sophieandcooper

Both of ours are microchipped. The vet can do it for you, but it is quite pricey. We got ours done at the animal shelter. Ours did it for either $15 or $20. This was before our adoption group started doing it as well. So if your group offers it, it is probably the most cost effective, but if your group doesn't, try the local animal shelter. Our vet wanted something like $60-70 to microchip each dog.

Mickey didn't even notice when it went in.

The chip in my son's dog did travel. He has a small fuzzy and thought there was some sort of growth developing on his side. It was the chip. Most of them stay put.

Hope the picnic was fun. I missed it because my daughter got married this weekend.

Guest longdogs

Yes. It's a minor thing that takes seconds to do. The needle is worryingly thick but my two didn't notice, neither did the cats which are of course much smaller.

I was under the (probably wrong) impression that if ear tatoos are legible, then microchipping is not necessary.

In theory. But it's an extra layer of protection. Virtually all shelters, veterinarians, pounds and (gah!) animal testing facilities can and will check for a chip. Chips are harder to remove; unlike tats, they cannot be "overwritten." Not that that sort of thing happens often, if at all.

But if you live in an area where the pound doesn't see many racing greys, they might not know to check for tats. But they *will* scan them for a chip. If someone picks up a stray animal and they care enough not to send it to the pound first, they can take it to almost any vet and have it scanned. An individual off the street who finds your dog is most unlikely to know greys even have ear tats.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest spudlover

Absolutely! All the cats as well - in fact, two of our kitties who went missing were both returned to us because of their chips (one after 8 months of being lost!).

Guest ThunderPaws

All my dogs are microchipped!

The boys usually whine a bit, the girls are tougher and won't say a beep.

I had my first dog microchipped about 10 years ago and never had problems with chips traveling.

Not to high-jack this thread, but I want to get my girls chipped with their next dentals, while they are asleep, this year. Do the marjority of you chip while the dog is awake or wait until they have a dental or other procedure that they are asleep?

both dogs are microchipped, as is the cat. phoenix's microchip was inserted during a dental. loca got hers during a humane society event. i didn't see it, but i didn't hear any death screams either. linus was microchipped at th ehumane society before i adopted her.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest tricolorhounds

Copper was chipped when he incarcerated at the shelter...

Savannah and Bonkers were chipped by the folks from the Best Friends Sanctuary when we were in Kanab... they only charged $10.00 each.

I missed getting Gain'er chipped when we were in Kanab this year...

Not to high-jack this thread, but I want to get my girls chipped with their next dentals, while they are asleep, this year. Do the marjority of you chip while the dog is awake or wait until they have a dental or other procedure that they are asleep?

My grey was chipped after we got him, at the vet's. They injected a little bit of freezing between his shoulder blades first (with a regular thin needle), then after a couple of minutes used the thick needle to inject the microchip. He didn't seem to notice either injection, although later on in our visit he yelped when the vet lifted his leg. :rolleyes: I think it's fine to do it while awake (and you can ask your vet if they will freeze the area).

I feel better having both dogs microchipped. Around here shelters don't know how to read greyhound tattoos, but they do use microchip scanners (plus my other dog isn't a grey).

Guest Grapehound

Raisin came to me with a microchip (all dogs from her rescue group are chipped and neutered). I don't know if this is considered "traveling" but now I can feel it right below her shoulderblade; it moves around a few millimeters in either direction. It freaked me out before I figured out what it was.

Yup, Avery is microchipped. Our adoption group does it at the same time as the vaccinations and first off-track bath. I like it. Not everyone knows about ear tattoos, but the microchip is common enough that most found pets in this area get scanned.

I'd advise you to do it. The extra security is well worth the cost and temporary pain.